collapse

Author Topic: 3 divers dead this weekend Sonoma and Mendo  (Read 3304 times)

Offline Spike

3 divers dead this weekend Sonoma and Mendo
« on: April 28, 2013, 06:58:21 PM »
Anyone have any details on this. One fatality at Sea Ranch- Shell Beach, Gerstle Cove, and McKericker(sp?)

Offline Newgun

Re: 3 divers dead this weekend Sonoma and Mendo
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 07:50:58 PM »
That's very sad to hear.

Offline todd

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 08:27:57 PM »
Three abalone divers died in less than 24 hours this weekend, in northern Sonoma County and one near Fort Bragg, reported a Sonoma County sheriff's sergeant.

A 66-year-old retired Pacifica firefighter, Cedric Collett, was found Saturday afternoon in the water off of Shell Beach. He was several feet below the surface, still wearing his weight belt, said Sonoma County sheriff's Sgt. Ed Hoener.

On Sunday morning the victim was a 36-year-old San Francisco ab diver who'd gotten caught in a rip tide. He was pulled to the beach by other divers but couldn't be revived.

Later Sunday morning a diver was found deceased off of MacKerricher State Park beach, north of Fort Bragg.

“It's a busy season out on the coast, it's abalone season. We've got a lot of people out here today,” said Hoener, who was in Bodega Bay. Hoener supervises the sheriff's helicopter and boating crews.

“But it's very dangerous along our coast,” he said. “People may be underestimating the force of the ocean and their ability to stay safe within the ocean.”

Sunday's victim, whose name wasn't released, had been diving with a friend in Gerstle Cove near Salt Point, in northern Sonoma County.

Just before 8 a.m. the man got into trouble.

“His buddy heard him yell for help as he was being pulled out by a rip tide,” said Hoener.

Someone made a call for help while other divers in the area swam out to the man still calling for help as he struggled in the water.

They got him to shore but the effort took several minutes as they had to fight through the rip tide to reach land.

They performed CPR on the unconscious man but he didn't respond, and was pronounced dead, Hoener said.

On Saturday afternoon Collett, the Pacifica resident, and a friend were diving for abalone off of a Sea Ranch beach, also in northern Sonoma County.

When his friend realized Collett hadn't resurfaced after several minutes, the man went to a nearby home and called 911.

The sheriff's helicopter, state park lifeguards and deputies responded to the call.

The helicopter crew flew over the area and spotted a drift line, used by abalone divers, but no sign of a diver.

The pilot picked up a lifeguard from the beach and carried him to the line.

“The lifeguard swam down and located the gentleman about 15 feet down, with his weight belt on,” said Hoener.

The call for help in Fort Bragg was for a diver lost off of MacKerricher State Park beach.

He was found deceased, late Sunday morning, a few hours after he was reported missing.
Todd Stagnaro

Offline IceColdChuck

• Spearfishing and Travel Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 08:44:09 PM »
Yeah I read that on the pressdemocrat too. Why do you think the guy who got caught in the rip tide died? I don't get how that would kill someone so quickly. Maybe overweighted and struggling he swallowed water and choked? Sad.
-Charlie
www.CharlesLaKamp.com and...

www.redtrianglespearfishing.com

"Survival is the ability to swim in strange water"
-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline IceColdChuck

• Spearfishing and Travel Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 08:49:47 PM »
I also wonder if some of these older guys who have been diving for years and die aren't possibly having heart attacks underwater, seems like the kind of activity that could bring one on and it's not a very survivable location to have one. Then again if they found his body on the bottom of 15' of water is it fair to assume he was overweighted?
-Charlie
www.CharlesLaKamp.com and...

www.redtrianglespearfishing.com

"Survival is the ability to swim in strange water"
-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 10:21:29 PM »
RIP brothers.

I use 19# with a 7 mm suit. Don't overweight.

MN

Offline BuckNasty

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 11:06:31 PM »
trying to hover above a sweet spot between otter popping it throws my heart rate through the roof. had to use the ab iron as a grappling tool in order to beach myself like a seal upon a rock today lol  heart attacks would be my guess as well

Offline Fej

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 12:25:28 AM »
That is a damned shame. Glad I dropped a few pounds off my belt recently.
Jeff

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 07:55:23 AM »
I just saw this on the news this morning... RIP brothers
if you kill it, you eat it.... don't be a dick

Offline underwater1

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 10:23:30 AM »
I have respect for the diver who lost their lives doing what they loved.  My sincere condolences to their families - Tom

Offline Geoffrey

• Carpe de Carp ~ Latin ~ "Seize the Fish"
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 10:29:18 AM »
I have respect for the diver who lost their lives doing what they loved.  My sincere condolences to their families - Tom
My sentiment exactly. RIP gentlemen.

Offline rafterman

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 12:19:10 PM »
A message from a PFI instructor

Though the publication that reported these sad instances is great for local news, it is not an expert resource for the dangers of diving. Entanglement is a popular cause of death with the press and local dive lore but black out is more likely.
The man recovered off shell beach and the man retrieved from the water near Fort Bragg both were found on the bottom. From what we know of most freediving fatalities they were likely recovered underwater because they had an incident at the surface, lost consciousness, were overweighed, and sank to the bottom. The fact that both men were still wearing weight belts and one found at the end of his float line indicate that any entanglement occurred post mortem.
Regardless of the nature of the accident, all could have been avoided by following proper one up/one down protocol, not same ocean, same day “buddy” diving.

Jake Bricker

Pacific Coast Freediving

www.pacificcoastfreediving.com
Do what You want to do…

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 12:51:24 PM »
A message from a PFI instructor

Though the publication that reported these sad instances is great for local news, it is not an expert resource for the dangers of diving. Entanglement is a popular cause of death with the press and local dive lore but black out is more likely.
The man recovered off shell beach and the man retrieved from the water near Fort Bragg both were found on the bottom. From what we know of most freediving fatalities they were likely recovered underwater because they had an incident at the surface, lost consciousness, were overweighed, and sank to the bottom. The fact that both men were still wearing weight belts and one found at the end of his float line indicate that any entanglement occurred post mortem.
Regardless of the nature of the accident, all could have been avoided by following proper one up/one down protocol, not same ocean, same day “buddy” diving.

Jake Bricker

Pacific Coast Freediving

www.pacificcoastfreediving.com

While I agree that one up one down could have saved both of these men, I don't see how the fact that they were found at the bottom with their lead on or at the end of their float line would indicate that the entanglement was post mortem, or that they had an event at the surface and then sank. 

The two things this should tell anyone reading this is:
1. always dive with an experienced buddy.  The closer you are to your buddy the safer you are.
2. ditch your lead at the first sign of trouble.

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 02:03:47 PM »
 Wonder how many here actually practice the one-up, one-down, diving?   As in, diving next to each other, not SOBs?  I know for a fact that I do not, unless the other diver is a novice...I also do not use a floatline...

And, truth be told, I probably won't change these two facts, unless my buddy requested the OUOD setup.
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

Offline Lawdog (AKA "Ling Dinger")

• What would an ocean be without a monster lurking
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 02:28:25 PM »
I feel as a diving community we should use times like this to reflect and examine how we conduct business out there. As with any sport there is always room for improvement and I would agree with you Mao that very few use the OUOD method, heck even with only one season under my belt I found myself drifting further away from my dive partner at times. I will admit though, the last thing I want is to leave my family and dive buddies behind because I was to proud or to cool to dive next to somebody. Bottom line is it's safer, and I think we all could be safer at times. The Ocean determines how we should dive, question is do we listen?
"Josh Russo ruined my life"

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt