collapse

Author Topic: Can you suggest the best or a few good sites to buy gear?  (Read 1690 times)

Offline bluestar

Re: Can you suggest the best or a few good sites to buy gear?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 09:17:12 AM »
Way back in the old days, when Rob was just starting to dream about diving, Jim Steel had a shop in Concord. He was a great shop owner and even better diver. I was blessed to get out with him on a private trip aboard his old yaught that he had berthed in Monterey (he no longer has it). We had a great day, 50' vis and flat seas. Motored out to the Diablo Pinnacles off of Carmel's northern point, it was awesome! Any way, Jim is a great guy, is he still running it, or is his younger family members at the helm now? I highly recommend Jim Steel's shop, just like Bigfin said, he don't carry the newest and fanciest, but you'll get tried and tested gear for an honest working mans price!

Ahhhh.......I remember Steele's.....where I got my wetsuit 3 years ago when I lived close by.  Dingy and warehouse-like little shop, but very friendly young guy at the counter. 

Maybe I will make the trip to get my stuff there...

Abdvrob

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 06:44:37 PM »
Hey, you OLD FART, I was SCUBA certified in 89!! And was ab diving before that.  :thefinger: I know EXACTLY where Steeles was located. I got my first wetsuit from there in Concord. I may go out to the Oakland store this weekend, since conditions friggin SUCK!!

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2009, 04:16:19 PM »
Dude chill out! I'm sorry about the sticker! Geez!!!
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

JChoy

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2009, 09:53:15 PM »
Jim still runs the store. His sons is there to help him out, but Jim is still definitely in charge. Steele's a great little shop. His prices are hard to beat, even with the internet. I just suggest calling ahead if you're looking for something in particular to make sure he has it and that he's open. He's got sort of weird hours like Tu 4-6 and not open on Mon. Anyway, it's a great place to shop for gear and chat about diving. This is a DIVE Dive Shop. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

The other place I go to locally is Bamboo Reef in SF. Although they're not super cheap, they're reasonable and most importantly convenient. They run a very tidy business.

Supporting your LDS is definitely a good idea, but if you can feel the need to keep your money, LeisurePro and Diver's Supply are great online alternatives. I've had good experience with their CS, which is very important when working online. Not to mention, their prices are hard to beat. The Freedive Shop in Sac is currently having a huge sale for walk-ins and phone orders, might be something to check out if you're close to that. Mako also has a site with some interesting deals and a payment plan...even for 15 dollar knives (4 month payment plan, like I said interesting...)

Offline Martianfish

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 04:46:24 PM »
When I was scuba certified back in the early 70's (SSI)(Scuba Schools International), I had gotten all of my gear at Steele's.  It was the hole in the wall back then with good service.  Right now I'm thinking of getting back into free diving and thats where I'll be going for gear again.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt