collapse

Author Topic: Can you suggest the best or a few good sites to buy gear?  (Read 1725 times)

Offline bluestar

Can you suggest the best or a few good sites to buy gear?
« on: October 18, 2009, 04:02:35 PM »
I'm just looking for basic SCUBA gears and basic hunting gear; nothing fancy.  Is buying online the best way to go???

Thanks

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Can you suggest the best or a few good sites to buy gear?
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2009, 06:47:11 PM »
Yes and no, But I would recomend Bamboo reef they have several shops ronert park, marin, san francisco and Monteray
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline diveroofer

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2009, 07:26:29 PM »
I feel it is always best to support your local dive shop. They warranty your new gear if their is a problem ,you can actually talk with a person if you have questions ,it will help keep the dive shop open if you want to further your scuba education and we will have a place to fill our tanks

Paul W

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 07:28:47 PM »
I feel it is always best to support your local dive shop. They warranty your new gear if their is a problem ,you can actually talk with a person if you have questions ,it will help keep the dive shop open if you want to further your scuba education and we will have a place to fill our tanks

Paul W           

that and you can try your stuff on before you buy it.
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Offline bluestar

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 09:16:16 PM »
checking my neighborhood dive shop was the first thing I did... but feedbacks on yelp.com about high prices and sales pressure etc. is a bit discomforting...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/diver-dans-santa-clara

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 09:23:34 PM »
Research what you want, then when your ready to buy know one can pressure you, anbd remember you can always ask for a dicount, my experience is they will usually come down on price espeacially the smaller shops. I buy on line also but for things you dont need to try on. I bought my Scubapro computer on line and saved about 400.00. so research.
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Abdvrob

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2009, 09:57:28 PM »
I'm going to reemphasize what Stacey said. If you have to try it on, go in first. I buy ALOT of my stuff on line (except for bc's and masks and other things I need to try out). Supporting your LDS is all good, but in this economy, I'm trying to save a few bucks and buying on line helps me out in that regard.

yakfisher

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 05:38:13 AM »
Freediveshop is online with online pricing and they are local so you can go in and try stuff on. Local depends on where you live.

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 10:00:14 PM »
I agree with Rob and Stacy. Things you have to try on are not to be purchased sight unseen! However, there are some good ways to get hardware and small items on line. I try to support my LDS (Local Dive Shop) as much as I can, but like Rob said, it comes down to the buck quite often. All this being said, check out sites like E-Bay of course, Leisurepro, DiversSupply (which is usually cheaper on shipping because it is so/cal, where Leisurepro is NY). In other words, do some searching and research, but don't buy anything major without running it through your best references, us here at NCUH!
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Offline frakkinshiny

• Administrator
    • Underwater Photography by Ericson Reduta
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 10:10:50 PM »
checking my neighborhood dive shop was the first thing I did... but feedbacks on yelp.com about high prices and sales pressure etc. is a bit discomforting...

http://www.yelp.com/biz/diver-dans-santa-clara
What you gotta remember about pricing at a dive shop vs buying online... Buying online will tend to always be cheaper, there's less overhead, great prices if you're sure of what you want, but you're not always sure if you're getting a quality product from a reputable dealer, let alone an authorized dealer. The key to buying online is to do your research and reserve online purchases for the non-life saving equipment. If you really insist on buying online, do you your research at local shops, try out gear, and weigh out the pros & cons of having someone in your town you can always go to if you need help vs a website in cyberspace.

The local dive shop will be your home away from home. Cost is not the only issue, there's all the services associated with going to a shop. For example, you can try out most gear at the shop: put on a wetsuit, try out a bc, breath off a few regulators. If they have a pool, you can try out fins and equipment to get a good feel before plopping down a couple thousand and hope that it's right for the type of diving you do. You'll also need to get tank fills, annual overhaul of regulators, bc & tank inspections. You won't get that from an online shop. If you have a problem with the equipment or that you're not satisfied with the performance of your gear, most shops will allow you to return the item--even after it's been in the ocean for store credit on another item or your money back. I have yet to see an online shop do that.

So support your local Dive Shop (LDS) for the big ticket/life saving purchases, and get your accessories and other well-researched items online.

Ericson

20ft vis, 50F, Kelp...a great dive!
Underwater Photography by Ericson

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2009, 01:16:10 AM »
Very well put ER!

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2009, 08:30:07 AM »
Ericson well put bro, I just bought a new bc from a shop because of the authorized dealer issue, if you buy a bc or computer on line most LDS that are authorized for that particular piece of equipment , will not cover it, even though I would have saved 50 - 75 bucks I have the piece of mind that the shop will be for me
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline Kaveh

• the ocean and I get along just fine
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2009, 10:30:31 AM »
very well put ericson!! thats exactly how i think too... I support Steele's Original Scuba in Oakland because its family owned and operated since 1939 and tends to be cheaper than anywhere else because of the long lasting connections the steele family has made in the industry.  However, having said that, its not known for "cutting edge" technologies and gear... Jim prefers to stock well tested gear he himself would personally recommend.

since i am not a "first mover" on new technologies anyway, I like that I can save buckos on gear because it might be last years model but still the best in his eyes.  Stuff is just cheaper there anyway... i got my free diving cressi fins for $80 and saw the EXACT same fins at a place in concord for $175.. blew my mind .. but not really... this industry is known for raping of prices because they can get away with it.. so i say, check out many dive shops and get to know the owners.. compare their prices and when you find a good dive shop near you, support them like crazy because if they are cheaper than the industry average, then thats a true find.
diving the edible ocean since '99

Abdvrob

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 03:50:43 PM »
Man, I haven't been to Steeles in years. I may have to stop in and reacquaint myself with them.

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 05:26:41 AM »
Way back in the old days, when Rob was just starting to dream about diving, Jim Steel had a shop in Concord. He was a great shop owner and even better diver. I was blessed to get out with him on a private trip aboard his old yaught that he had berthed in Monterey (he no longer has it). We had a great day, 50' vis and flat seas. Motored out to the Diablo Pinnacles off of Carmel's northern point, it was awesome! Any way, Jim is a great guy, is he still running it, or is his younger family members at the helm now? I highly recommend Jim Steel's shop, just like Bigfin said, he don't carry the newest and fanciest, but you'll get tried and tested gear for an honest working mans price!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt