collapse

Author Topic: How Long do you dive?  (Read 4760 times)

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
How Long do you dive?
« on: October 16, 2009, 03:35:13 PM »
Approximatly how long do you stay in or on the water for your average trip?

When I head for the water I think it takes me about one hour to get from camp to the water including suiting up.  I poke arround a little and grab three abs I am out in about an hour.  If I am selective and look for a few fish it can be an easy 3 hours.

Then another hour to tag the abs and drag all my gear back to camp.

So on average my trips are 3 to 5 hours. 

My wife thinks I should be able to do it faster but I don't think so.

Myrel C. Willeford

Calif_Diver

Re: How Long do you dive?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2009, 03:44:06 PM »
For me it depends on the water, visability and surge, the beter the conditions the longer i stay in the water, if its not great its in and out  get the meat and go back to camp

Glaucus

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2009, 03:45:35 PM »
Join the club, my wife thinks I should be able to do just about everything faster! :crybaby2: :whip2:

Maybe camp at the reef campground, two hours gone = two hours in the water (although I don't much care for the diving there). 

Offline winklecl

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2009, 03:51:26 PM »
On a perfect day as long as 4 hours total in the water. Any longer and the core temp gets too low and I get hypothermic.
On the average day, one hour in the water to get a limit of abs and may be a fish or two.

The fastest time I've been into the water and out with a limit of 3 abs is 8 min and change. I clocked it. One dive. The rest was swimming.

Glaucus

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2009, 03:57:29 PM »
Oops, forgot to answer the question...  To tell you the truth I'm bored with getting three abs and getting out.  If I can't stay in for two hours I feel robbed.  I don't even get into a good zone until a good 45 minutes or so.  Seems like my bottom time increases as I'm out there a while.  My sorry ass scuba suit leaves me cold after two hours.  Saturday was about as long as I have ever stayed in, 3.5 hours with no breaks at all.  Took all day to warm up and my calves were good and sore afterwards.

I usually day trip from Santa Rosa so it's 1-1.5 hours each way.  I usually figure if I leave at 6 I'm home at one after a couple stops for food and leaks.

Glaucus

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2009, 04:02:44 PM »
On a perfect day as long as 4 hours total in the water. Any longer and the core temp gets too low and I get hypothermic.
On the average day, one hour in the water to get a limit of abs and may be a fish or two.

The fastest time I've been into the water and out with a limit of 3 abs is 8 min and change. I clocked it. One dive. The rest was swimming.

4 hours is great!  :headbang: What suit do you wear?  You eating and taking breaks during that time? 

8 min is pretty fast!  Anyone ever done faster (I haven't)?  One dive, I always wanted to do that just for the hell of it.

Offline winklecl

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 04:09:39 PM »
I use a 7mm famer john. I think it's a Xcess hyperstretch scuba suit. Not the most comfortable but it does stay pretty warm. It also helps that I've got 250lbs of beef to back me up!  :blob1: I'll bring out two bottles of H20 on my float if the day is calm (enough to drink anyway) otherwise I'll take a break or two to gather energy. Normally don't eat, I've gotten stomach cramps from doing that.

I've also gotten four abs in one dive (back when the limit was that much). Gets a little tricky carrying them all. And you gotta kick a bit to get back up!  :laughing7:

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 04:13:25 PM »
Depending on water conditions any where from 2 to 5 hrs got to love the open cell wet suit.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 10:18:57 PM »
My top time is between 5-6 hours but lately averaging 4 hours but like Matt said gotta love open cell
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

Offline mot

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 10:49:59 PM »
I think around an hour or so is average I like to hang out in the water longer if vis and no damn rip to bug me. Those are the days at the abalone supermarket  :headbang: I usually leave by 4:30 or 5:00 am and return 11 or 12 hours later 3 hrs up 3 hrs back. then :occasion14: tall tales time!

tom

Glaucus

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 07:27:09 AM »
6 hours?!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Open cell here I come!  I can't believe I've been missing out for so long.  :crybaby2: :BangHead:

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 01:14:37 PM »
Really depends on the water and such, for me I will be spending more time next season especially try to find myself a ten
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Kai Kane

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 01:58:21 PM »
Definitely depends on the conditions, but For me it usually depends on the people I m with.  I always want to stay out longer then the people I'm with.  If its with my buddy Honda, we'll usually stay out about 3 to 3.5 hours.  Having a good suit is a real key to stayin out there.  If I'm comfortable I'm cruising :glasses1:.  Hope this was helpful.   :dontknow:

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2009, 03:46:37 PM »
My main problem is I love the water have a warm suit and tend to stay out longer then I need to enjoying the ocean.  If the vis sucks I am in and out as fast as it takes me to pop the abs I need for dinner.  If it is nice this is where I have my problem I lose track of time and find that I can stay out for 3 or 4 hours without noticing.  I usually find out I am in trouble when I get to shore and find the wife a little steamed.  I think I need to buy a dive watch to keep track of the time better. 
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2009, 04:08:31 PM »
hey myrel, your ok until she starts throwing rocks. then ya know your in trouble :boxing:
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt