collapse

Author Topic: Pass the BUTTER!!!  (Read 2553 times)

Offline Russ R.

• freedivin'
Pass the BUTTER!!!
« on: April 05, 2013, 07:43:55 PM »
Hate to break up the ab slaying but Im landlocked for another week or so....Went to the sierra's today for morels,none found but I did find some big Butter Boletes, Shrimp Russalas,maybe 3 coccora. Big butter is 9in across

Coccora???? HELP!!

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Re: Pass the BUTTER!!!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 08:49:20 PM »
Nice Russ.  Did you take your 9" gauge?

I really need to take up 'shroom hunting

Offline todd

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 09:16:27 PM »
Nice spring amanita, should have a hollow or pithy stipe like the fall version....
Todd Stagnaro

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 09:19:13 PM »
I hate to say this bro, But.... I think you have a spring King (Boletus rex-veris) in your possession... you can tell by how fat the stalk is. There has been several reports on BAMS of them just north state in the siskyou's I know where I am going in a week or two!!

-Todd!_ Wow, I didn't know you were the Fungus Amungus Also!! Nice!!
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 09:23:34 PM by Jacks Diving »
if you kill it, you eat it.... don't be a dick

Offline lazyhook

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2013, 09:25:29 PM »
Nobody in good conscience would ID any Aminita species (including Coccora) by picture or remotely.  That goes double for springtime versions.  Too many dangerous/deadly lookalikes.  Many expert mushroomers will never even think of trying to eat them.  Do not even think of eating these.

A few of the primary ways to ID them are:

1) see if the center of the stem is hollow (possibly filled with gel or cottony texture).  If you sliced it crosswise, it would look like calamari rings.
2) are the edges of the cap "striated" with little lines or furrows
3) is the stem cream or pale yellow colored (NEVER white)
4) white cottony "skullcap" on top of cap
5) bulbous sack at the base of the stem

Offline Russ R.

• freedivin'
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2013, 09:38:45 PM »
Don't worry fellas, Im not eating the Aminita. Im too scared too. Just trying to get better at ID ;-) Although I just ate 1/2 of the small bolete w/asparagus and pasta,Mmmmm

Offline Russ R.

• freedivin'
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2013, 09:43:24 PM »
And I think Jack is right about it being a spring king, They did not bruise when I cut them. I have the spot marked and its at a new location a found just down the road from jacks morel spot  :laughing4: ahahahaha

Offline Russ R.

• freedivin'
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2013, 09:59:50 PM »
The stem on said Amanita is hollow with gel,the edges of the cap are striated,the stem is cream colored,has a lot of skullcap,bulbus sack at base of stem.

Well what do ya think?? In the field I was 75% sure cocora

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2013, 10:35:36 PM »
I think you should post this on BAMS(to others... Bay Area Mycological Society) and ask Debbie or David about this... She will do the proper mycroscopy and taxonomy... You could even then publish in M.O. (Mushroom Observer) as a published find.
if you kill it, you eat it.... don't be a dick

Offline .

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2013, 10:39:31 PM »
Spring kings do not bruise blue, whereas butter boletes do. Looks like you found some nice early season rex-veris!

Offline lazyhook

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 11:23:14 PM »
Yes someone in good conscious would ID Amanita calytptrata by picture and remotely, provided the pictures and description is sufficient. I am 99% sure you have the correct one, but still the pictures aren't very good, and there is no description.

My comment was not meant to be disparaging in any way.  I think you and I may just have different philosophy on Aminita ID in a mostly public forum.  Fair enough.

My basic philosophy is that if somebody is posting a picture of this type of Aminita for a confirmation of ID then they, by definition, don't have enough experience to try to eat it.  It's not just about the poster.  It's also about somebody else who might read the post and think they have the "same" thing.  My initial response was purely about trying to give Russ a few more tools in the mushroom ID tool bag (just as you did with the longer list of traits) since he didn't indicate in his first post if he intended to eat it.

IF there could be enough caveats in a post about this type of mushroom about it being for ID purposes only, and not for eating, then fine.  However, just imagine the response from SOMA, BAMS, MSSF, FFSC, etc. if somebody posted a couple pics of a potential Coccora and said "I'm gonna eat this as soon as somebody gives me confirmation on the ID."

Having said all that, hopefully, the next post will be pictures of hillsides full of morels in the next few weeks.

Offline todd

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2013, 09:40:32 AM »
You guys need to start using the correct name if your going to suggest a ID... russ has a Amanita velosa, not coccora.....spring amanitas are a tad bit harder to id but its not rocket science-  its really easy fungi to identify if you are a mycophile.  There really is only a few deadly mushrooms and the death cap is a easy ID for those who have been around mushrooms. Growing up in the bay there are deathcaps everywhere.  In ten plus years in humboldt I never saw one deathcap. More people eat the cocorra than velosa, which is my fav.  Did my David largent classes at humboldt give me confidence in the amanitas?  Yes but I think we need to stop tripping about ID's.  Anyone who wants help should be offered help, not being blasted for novice questions.  Morels are poison if they are eaten raw, amanita muscaria is perfectly good to eat if prepared correctly.  White button mushrooms scar your liver when you eat them raw.
Coccora imho is best eaten raw w EVO and salt/pepper... 

Videos are better than pics, time to step up your foray and start using you go pro's!

Here is recent video from my trip in winter http://touch.dailymotion.com/#/video/xug2jr

And another http://touch.dailymotion.com/#/video/xugcov

My hobby http://touch.dailymotion.com/video/xmms8w

Check out this video on YouTube:

« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 09:44:23 AM by todd »
Todd Stagnaro

Offline lazyhook

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2013, 12:59:39 PM »
You guys need to start using the correct name if your going to suggest a ID... russ has a Amanita velosa, not coccora....

What criteria are you using to differentiate between velosa and coccora (for taxonomy geeks, more properly vernicoccora for spring version in the mountains )?

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast