collapse

Author Topic: New fee's at Pt. Lobos State Park.  (Read 4510 times)

Offline divn-cali

New fee's at Pt. Lobos State Park.
« on: October 12, 2009, 02:54:28 AM »
Hey NCUH'ers,
     Well, this state has found yet another way to rip the poeple off! Lobos use to be $12 for launch and day use parking fee ($5 & $7). Now they want $10 per diver as well!!!! What a friggin joke! First the MLPA's now, absurd increases at the State Parks, WTF? This state is pissing me off so fricken bad, I swear, is there no end to this crap? So here's the deal, in the eyes of the state, if you can go anywhere and have fun, you can afford to give to our stupid asses, because we can't do our jobs at all! And you assholes keep voting us in! Thank you idiots so much! If it wasn't for the fact that it's better than closing it down altogether, which would take it away from us completely, I would leave this shit hole of a state.
     Now, before you get all high and mighty, telling me "if I don't like it then leave", I am born and raised here in CA my whole life, I've voted (not for the Governator) and taken part in the system my whole adult life as well. So I can say any damn thing about this stupid ass state that I want to! I'm sorry this sounds so ranting, but I just can't take this crap anymore, it's depressing! What in the hell has happened to this state?
     All right! All right! Sorry, I really just wanted to tell you all about the new fees because I'm taking the reigns for the December Club Dive and was highly considdering a dive at Lobos for photography and general pleasure diving. Ocean Cove closes for the season after Nov. So Lobos becomes a nice option for the off season of Lings and ab's. Even though hunting blue's and black's is still open to divers, I wanted to give our small photography contingent a chance at quite frankly, the best photography site in the Central and North Coast area's.
     The problem I'll be faced with is that Lobos is hard to get reservations for. The prices will be way too high for me to front the money. So when this dive comes up, we will all have to make our own reservations! If the price and location doesn't sit well for you, then I can set up a second club dive, I'll figure out where later! We need to make reservations for Lobos soon! It fills up quickly on the weekends and they let people book out 90 days in advance. The first weekend of November is already starting to book up. So give me some feedback and we'll get a jump on this thing. Again, sorry for the rant, I'm just pissed off! :boxing: :protest: :angry6: :angry8: :violent1:
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: New fee's at Pt. Lobos State Park.
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 07:17:11 AM »
Every thing right know about the state is about the grenn backs and the allmighty dollar, the mlpa should prove that.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline Kaveh

• the ocean and I get along just fine
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 09:28:28 AM »
i would be down for a pt lobos dive..
diving the edible ocean since '99

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 12:38:16 PM »
I wouldn't mind giving that area a shot, pun intended.  I can't commit just yet, though.

MN

Offline frakkinshiny

• Administrator
    • Underwater Photography by Ericson Reduta
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 03:22:17 PM »
Hey NCUH'ers,
     Well, this state has found yet another way to rip the poeple off! Lobos use to be $12 for launch and day use parking fee ($5 & $7). Now they want $10 per diver as well!!!! What a friggin joke! First the MLPA's now, absurd increases at the State Parks, WTF? This state is pissing me off so fricken bad, I swear, is there no end to this crap? So here's the deal, in the eyes of the state, if you can go anywhere and have fun, you can afford to give to our stupid asses, because we can't do our jobs at all! And you assholes keep voting us in! Thank you idiots so much! If it wasn't for the fact that it's better than closing it down altogether, which would take it away from us completely, I would leave this sh.. hole of a state.
     Now, before you get all high and mighty, telling me "if I don't like it then leave", I am born and raised here in CA my whole life, I've voted (not for the Governator) and taken part in the system my whole adult life as well. So I can say any damn thing about this stupid ass state that I want to! I'm sorry this sounds so ranting, but I just can't take this crap anymore, it's depressing! What in the hell has happened to this state?
     All right! All right! Sorry, I really just wanted to tell you all about the new fees because I'm taking the reigns for the December Club Dive and was highly considdering a dive at Lobos for photography and general pleasure diving. Ocean Cove closes for the season after Nov. So Lobos becomes a nice option for the off season of Lings and ab's. Even though hunting blue's and black's is still open to divers, I wanted to give our small photography contingent a chance at quite frankly, the best photography site in the Central and North Coast area's.
     The problem I'll be faced with is that Lobos is hard to get reservations for. The prices will be way too high for me to front the money. So when this dive comes up, we will all have to make our own reservations! If the price and location doesn't sit well for you, then I can set up a second club dive, I'll figure out where later! We need to make reservations for Lobos soon! It fills up quickly on the weekends and they let people book out 90 days in advance. The first weekend of November is already starting to book up. So give me some feedback and we'll get a jump on this thing. Again, sorry for the rant, I'm just pissed off! :boxing: :protest: :angry6: :angry8: :violent1:

The state has got to make up for the lack of funds somehow, right? I'd rather pay extra for diving in a state park rather than having 200+ state parks be shut down, especially Pt Lobos. The state is strapped for cash, the governator is doing the best he can and he has to make hard decisions. I've got state buddies who have some Fridays off but it's better than getting laid off.

To get in on Pt Lobos on the weekends is to make reservations at least 2 months in advance. Just pick about 6 guys to call in put their credit cards down to make reservations for the same day. Dive teams are usually two, but they will allow a 3rd to dive in the team if you ask nicely. That makes it easy to have a total of 12-15 divers with just 6 reservations. When the weather starts looking iffy, a lot of people cancel, that's your opportunity to pick up the phone and call Lobos directly to find some newly available spots, especially just days before the weekend. If you can take a weekday off, you can just walk into the park, no reservations needed.

Hope this helps,
Ericson
20ft vis, 50F, Kelp...a great dive!
Underwater Photography by Ericson

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 10:16:26 PM »
Hey Ericson,
     You're letting them off too easy! If they did their jobs good in the first place (which all of us have to do or get fired) there wouldn't be a problem! I have a hard time believing that there isn't enough money in the budget for any thing! They already raised the sales tax a whole penny! WTF? That is more than a ten percent raise in the budget revenue! How much better would we all be doing with an immediate 10% raise in our paychecks? You're a smart guy, how much money is that a day for this state? Come on dude! They fricken suck and we all know it! Problem is, now we're stuck with their butts for a while! Take, take, take, it's gettin friggin old man!!!! :bs:

Glaucus

« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 08:17:52 AM »
10% raise, how you figure?  How about I raise your hourly rate by 10%, but I cut your hours by 25%?  You coming out ahead...?  Nah.

Taxes may be up, but sales across the state are waayyyyy down (know anyone without a job, or a paycut...?  They aint exactly out buying flat screens and new wetsuits (ok, some may still be getting new suits)).  The state does NOT have the same revenue they used to, that's for certain.  Same goes for the fed, but they are allowed to deficit spend, where states don't have the same luxury.  I'm not saying the state isn't so screwed up they couldn't finance their way out of a stinking lingcod carcass, 'cause they can't.  But I do have to side with Ericson here, the state has got to find the $$ somewhere.  I'd much rather pay a fee to use a kick ass park than to see it closed, and it seems those are the two available options...

Offline frakkinshiny

• Administrator
    • Underwater Photography by Ericson Reduta
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 09:32:07 AM »
Hey Ericson,
     You're letting them off too easy! If they did their jobs good in the first place (which all of us have to do or get fired) there wouldn't be a problem! I have a hard time believing that there isn't enough money in the budget for any thing! They already raised the sales tax a whole penny! WTF? That is more than a ten percent raise in the budget revenue! How much better would we all be doing with an immediate 10% raise in our paychecks? You're a smart guy, how much money is that a day for this state? Come on dude! They fricken suck and we all know it! Problem is, now we're stuck with their butts for a while! Take, take, take, it's gettin friggin old man!!!! :bs:
Are you inferring that state employees can do poorly in their jobs & still have a job? Everyone has to perform, there's no free ride, perform or get let go--it just takes longer to fire someone because of bureaucracy & the unions. I should know, I'm a federal employee. I've seen people sit on their butt, not show up for work & eventually get let go for it.

But the point here is there's no income coming into the state, too much going out to barely support services, 10% unemployment rate, and not enough people spending to make a dent in the deficit. We have to suck it up for now. Do what we can and get a governor with plans for the long haul, it's not going to fix itslef in the next 5yrs maybe in 10yrs if the right seeds of legislature has been planted. 
20ft vis, 50F, Kelp...a great dive!
Underwater Photography by Ericson

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 10:37:30 AM »
I know the state emplyees are getting hosed! The ten percent I was referring to was the ten percent hike in sales tax. Yes, you're right, sales are down so even less money, I understand all of this crap! But what I don't understand, is people acting like a naive mother and saying "not my child!" when it comes to those that plan and control the finances of this state or fed. gov. When someone CHOOSES to be the leader, they can't just frick it all up and then put us all into the fire to bail themselves out! I just think that "giving them a break" or "don't go too hard on em" is bullsh-t! The fire needs to be lit under their asses, not ours! That's what they are supposed to be doing, protecting us, from ourselves! Public servant, that is what they chose to be, it carries huge reponsibilities AND therefore should carry huge consequences! And as far as state workers getting a cut in hours, well, every job has it's risks, lay-offs, plant closures, what ever! I feel for them, but they have floated their own boat, just like the rest of us. Good luck! Hope things get better, I really do!

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 10:59:20 AM »
OK, let me clarify something. I wasn't referring to the state employees like admin people and regular positions. I was referring to the higher up seats, starting with Arnold and working down, the decision makers, not the work do-ers. I am certainly not trying to offend any one, I'm just sick of the situation, just like the rest of us, and here in this club, I felt safe enough to vent my opinion, but that's all that it is, my opinion, not fact! Anything more than that, I'll be glad to discuss with a cold one and a stoggie around the campfire. Also, I'm glad that Lobos is still available as a dive option, but come on, those fees are exorbitant! It used to cost $12, for my partner and I to dive there. Now in one day it will cost $32, that should piss people off, I'm sorry! This was really the only point I was trying to make in this whole debacle.

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 11:10:03 AM »
The state parks are self supporting or would be if they did not put the money the generate into the general fund. That is why they kept them open and raised the fees to put money back into the state.  The state has less money due to the reduction in home prices and a lowering of property taxes (I know it goes to the county but the counties are needing more money from the state because they are getting less in taxes)

The problem we have here in California is that we have too many programs that eat cash and produce nothing but more debt.  I also think the unemployemnt rate is closer to 12% unless you count all the people who no longer file and therefor are not counted and this may push it closer to 20%. 
Myrel C. Willeford

Glaucus

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 04:34:59 PM »
Feels like 25%, I'd say one in 4 that I know are out of work. 

Divn-Cali, I hear ya.  It is weak the way the whole sheebang goes down...

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2009, 01:07:25 PM »
Hey guy's let's get back to the topic at hand DIVING DAMMIT are we going to dive Pt Lobos or what, Come on Mike focus bro, are you going to get this one
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 10:08:20 PM »
Ya man! But it aint until the December dive biotch! I or we, were just having a little discussion on the new fu--ed up fees at Lobos! This is the General section and not the Club Dives section right? So I got a lotta "shut the hell up for ya!" Oh, and you rock Stacy, cant wait for the next adventure, ya punk! :icon_tongue: Anybody else got some lip? :angry3:

Abdvrob

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2009, 07:16:32 PM »
Oh dont get me started Mike.  :icon_tongue: Are you done dancing on your soapbox?  :laughing7: You make some excellent points BTW bro  :icon_thumright: But Im w/ Stacey on this, LETS MAKE IT HAPPEN. Whats the date for this trip Mike? I'll hold a reservation under my card, I just need to know the weekend.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt