collapse

Author Topic: Before you spear stripers  (Read 3551 times)

Offline gsharp

Re: Before you spear stripers
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 12:37:33 PM »
We have a legal right to spear striped bass of any size beyond the minimum length.  But, as Josh has made clear, our rights to shoot stripers have nothing to do with them being a nonnative species.  The agricultural lobby and southern California water departments have the money and political influence to not only have the environmental impacts of water use disregarded, but to also misleadingly direct the attention to the problem of declining fish populations onto striped bass.  Striped bass are not the problem, and we as spearfishers are only pawns in a big game, a game in which we are irrelevant. 
Glen Sharp

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 12:42:10 PM »
just be sure to rubber up before you speer those stripers opps I mean stripers LOL !!!!
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline polespear86

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 08:12:50 PM »
I have dove the river a lot just for practice and bagging crawfish and seen a lot of them. They aren't small either most of the big ones I have seen are over 18 inches easy. They swoop in when I pick the crawdads up off of sandy areas usually. I am ready to actually be able to go get some in two weeks, just gotta figure out how.

Offline Spearonico

• Mark. S
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 05:15:13 PM »
I have dove the river a lot just for practice and bagging crawfish and seen a lot of them. They aren't small either most of the big ones I have seen are over 18 inches easy. They swoop in when I pick the crawdads up off of sandy areas usually. I am ready to actually be able to go get some in two weeks, just gotta figure out how.

Let me know. I found some lucrative holes. long drift though, may be in the water for about 4-5 hours.
"Ninety percent of life is just showing up."- Woody Allen-

twade

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2013, 06:14:52 PM »
Would that part of the river be accessible with a zodiac to make the float quicker?

Offline Spearonico

• Mark. S
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2013, 06:51:23 PM »
If you drop the boat upstream yes, I can tell you were to avoid (underwater trees and other boat damaging thing). Problem is though, the boat launch is RIGHT on the legal boundary of salmon spawning point, so they might shit a brick the size of Kentucky if they see you unload a boat full of fish and spearguns or polespears (depending on  whats legal at that time).  A kayak would probably be more practical? What we do is leave one car down river at Sac State (private property that I as a student have rights to) and pile up into one care and take it to point of submersion. But who knows what will come of this ordeal. Im down to do a dive anytime, just need to do invest in a damn polepsear now. .

twade

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2013, 09:59:13 PM »
Ya, seems kayak would be best for that.  Are pole spears going to be allowed?  The ordinance states this,
"No person other than peace officers in the discharge of their duties shall use, maintain,
possess, fire, or discharge any firearm, air gun, spring gun, bow and arrow, slingshot, or any other
weapon potentially dangerous to wildlife or human safety, except in areas, at times, and under
conditions designated by the director for such use. A violation of the provisions of this section is a
misdemeanor."
What if you access the river by boat and launch from a privately owned such as Swabbies?

Offline Spearonico

• Mark. S
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2013, 09:33:40 AM »
As far as I am aware yes pole spear are a go. As far as Swabbies goes, maybe. Its not county park grounds right?

twade

« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2013, 04:21:39 PM »
Broderick Boat Ramp is actually closer and is in West Sac (Yolo County) yet pretty close to the mouth of the American.  Is it against county ordinance to have a speargun in the river all together or is it more so getting it to the water through the parks?

Offline Spearonico

• Mark. S
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2013, 07:13:25 PM »
I wish I knew, oh how I wish I understood all this

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
« Reply #25 on: June 06, 2013, 09:32:23 PM »
I wish I knew, oh how I wish I understood all this
That is the point of regulation... to deter you from actually doing it, and if you miss or forget something, they make money off you :)
if you kill it, you eat it.... don't be a dick

twade

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2013, 12:06:42 PM »
I just got an answer from the Chief Ranger of Regional Parks in writing...

"If a person were to boat in and only be in the water they would be legal with a spear.  If they set foot ashore – illegal."

And on the subject of pole spears...

"All spears fall under this ordinance."

He also stated there isn't a place on the American River that is not under the ordinance and not under the Regional Park jurisdiction in order to walk a spear to the water.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2013, 03:25:22 PM »
I just got an answer from the Chief Ranger of Regional Parks in writing...

"If a person were to boat in and only be in the water they would be legal with a spear.  If they set foot ashore – illegal."

And on the subject of pole spears...

"All spears fall under this ordinance."

He also stated there isn't a place on the American River that is not under the ordinance and not under the Regional Park jurisdiction in order to walk a spear to the water.

Great Job!

Would you mind posting the letter so we can all have a copy?

twade

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2013, 04:15:26 PM »
Begin forwarded message:

From: "Lumsden. Stan" <lumsdens@SacCounty.NET<mailto:lumsdens@SacCounty.NET>>
Date: June 7, 2013, 10:49:00 AM PDT
To: Thomas Wade <TWade@ci.el-cerrito.ca.us<mailto:TWade@ci.el-cerrito.ca.us>>
Subject: Re: Spears

No

Stan Lumsden

On Jun 7, 2013, at 9:52 AM, "Thomas Wade" <TWade@ci.el-cerrito.ca.us<mailto:TWade@ci.el-cerrito.ca.us>> wrote:

Are there any sections of the American River between Hazel and Discovery park that are not covered by the ordinance and not under the Regional Park jurisdiction where a spear may enter the water from land?

Thank you,

Tommy Wade

On Jun 7, 2013, at 7:33 AM, "Lumsden. Stan" <lumsdens@SacCounty.NET<mailto:lumsdens@SacCounty.NET>> wrote:

All spears fall under this ordinance.

Stan Lumsden

On Jun 7, 2013, at 6:53 AM, "Thomas Wade" <TWade@ci.el-cerrito.ca.us<mailto:TWade@ci.el-cerrito.ca.us>> wrote:

Than you for your quick response. My last question is regarding pole spears. Are they under the same classification as a speargun or are pole spears acceptable to be transported across the Parkway?

Thanks,
Tommy Wade

On Jun 7, 2013, at 6:26 AM, "Lumsden. Stan" <lumsdens@SacCounty.NET<mailto:lumsdens@SacCounty.NET><mailto:lumsdens@SacCounty.NET>> wrote:

If a person were to boat in and only be in the water they would be legal with a spear.  If they set foot ashore – illegal.

Stan Lumsden
Chief Ranger

Offline ASteve

• A Steve Cali Outdoor Photography
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2013, 05:49:20 PM »
Not all regulations are the same Matt.  I know the enviros would like us to leave 'em all alone and some people get tired of hearing the "let em live" speach but this one's different.  The water companies would like everyone to believe that the striped bass is the cause of all the problems in the delta.  The decline in salmon, delta smelt, etc.  This slide shows that the success of all species in the delta is directly related to the flow of water.  The more water flows to the bay, the more fish overall.

So it has nothing to do with fishing pressure but the fact is that fish populations in the delta are at historicly low levels.  The next slide illustrates that this regulation change came about, not because the fishery can necessarily handle any additional pressure, but for stricly political reasons.  The water companies sued the state and said that before they are required to slow the flow of water going south the state should reduce the effect of this imported, "NON-NATIVE" species.  They won the lawsuit and the state was required to do "something."  That's how we got the ok. 
Before the reg passed I approached the angling clubs and none of them expressed any concern.  I later learned that it was because they never expected this to go through.  Once it passed many clubs were infuriated.  To them, we just put striped bass on the same level as talapia and carp.  We've been talking with these clubs since November and have assured them that spearfishermen are selective in their hunt and we are also considered the most conservative of fishing methods because we can choose to shoot or not shoot certain fish.  This is why we were allowed certain exceptions in the MLPA process and are allowed to spear in some MPA's that are closed to everyone else.  As of now our agreement is that we will foster an attitude of conservation.  We have a very good relationship with the angling clubs now and so long as we show them that we can respect the resource we will be working together on future opportunities. 

Bottom line is that if you guys want to make it easy on the guys that are fighting for your rights to access new and different fishing opportunities, be respectful of the resource.

Very well said!  I happen to be one of the fly fisherman that has helped raise money to save the declining striped bass populations.  Respect the resource and the spawning Mamas!...

SC

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt