collapse

Author Topic: ROTY 3, 2013  (Read 1862 times)

Offline Joshua R.

ROTY 3, 2013
« on: March 07, 2013, 07:56:04 AM »
So I've been thinking about this years Rookie of The Year comp and I'm looking for some feed back.  Keeping with the intent of the ROTY that it's all about experienced divers helping the new guys and giving back I have some ideas. 

My first idea is to give incentive for more of us to mentor.  Dennis Hausler has already offered to take the mentor of the rookie of the year out for a day to improve on his hunting skills.  I'm thinking of adding more prizes like instead of 1 $500 gift certificate for the rookie make it a $250 for the Rookie and $250 for the mentor. 

My next idea is to increase the number of eligible rookies.  Last year I had several people that wanted to enter but they had dove once the year before or they had dove several years ago, ya da ya da.  This year I'm thinking of defining a rookie as anyone in their first three years of freediving with a special category for first year divers. 

Next, I'm going to add a fish category.  I don't know what that would look like yet but it would probably be some kind of agregate score because I've been ponying most of the dough for these prizes myself so far and I'm not going to get a seperate prize for fish.

Last, I'm thinking of an entry fee.  I had wanted to do without this because it's all about doing something for the new guys but in November when the weather is bad if guys didn't pay to play they tend to stay, at home.  My idea is to charge a $20 fee for the Mentor of The Year category and each mentor would have to pay $20 per rookie.  This would be a way for us to track who the rookies are, what their skill levels are and who they are working with.  $20 isn't too bad, the rookie stil pays nothing and I could use the money to get more prizes.

Four ideas, what are your guys thoughts?

Offline Lawdog (AKA "Ling Dinger")

• What would an ocean be without a monster lurking
Re: ROTY 3, 2013
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 08:19:12 AM »
I'm all for first year guys being free, second and third year rookies pay the 20-25$ to help out also (thats really cheap for a tournament). Love that you thinking bout adding fish as well. Same rules I am assuming that the rookies (1st yr, and 2-3) have to find their own spots, hunt the abs and fish themselves, mentors there for safety and a good chuckle!? LOL
"Josh Russo ruined my life"

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 08:34:59 PM »
Regarding the first idea, I agree it is just as important to reward the mentors.  I am a believer that if all new divers learned safe and proper techniques from an experienced diver, the number of dead divers each year would decrease significantly.

Of course I am in favor of the second idea because I fit in that category and would otherwise be ineligible for roty because I dove several years ago.  I know I'm not alone as a self taught diver with bad diving habits and am in need of a mentor despite my previous experience.

I like the idea of a fish category.  Any of us could get lucky and pull a 10" snail in 8 ft of water.  I have recently learned that spearing fish takes real skill that will take time to develop. I think the addition of a fish category will take us out of our comfort zone and really challenge us to improve.

And finally, an entry fee of 25 or even 50 dollars is not too much at all.  Consider that the rookies are getting a full year of free dive training that can only make us better at the sport and possibly teach us to avoid life threatening situations.
I don't have to outrun the shark... I just have to outrun you!!!

Offline Flipper

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 10:27:08 PM »
All 4 ideas sound great! For those who want to, let's have a Coke/ beer in the near future and brainstorm a few more particulars about the event and put this event on the map.
The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline Lawdog (AKA "Ling Dinger")

• What would an ocean be without a monster lurking
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 11:08:27 PM »
I'm in!
"Josh Russo ruined my life"

Offline chaeki

• TTASAMO - Chaeki
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 09:08:04 AM »
Great idea! I have been mentoring a lot as of lately, unfortunately they guys I mentor are not tech savvy and do not know how to login to a forum.. ROFL

Offline Heathman1476

• http://www.pacificnaluspearfishing.com/
ROTY 3, 2013
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 08:33:55 PM »
I would fall into the 2-3yr for ab. I would be willing to pay the $25-50 to enter into a comp with others with the same experience!
The world is made up of 71 percent water. Go grab your wet suit and lets go diving...

http://www.pacificnaluspearfishing.com/

My you tube channel
https://www.youtube.com/user/Heathman1476/

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt