collapse

Author Topic: Pay it Forward Spearo of the Day Comp: 2/23 SWS  (Read 3289 times)

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
Pay it Forward Spearo of the Day Comp: 2/23 SWS
« on: February 19, 2013, 01:16:54 PM »
Some of you may have seen Andy FishMaster1's post on NCKA about Baby Matthew:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=44415.0

Matthew was the son of one of Andy's friends and was diagnosed with a particlarly horrible form of Leukemia (Acute LymphoBlastic Leukemia, ALL) when he was only two months old.

He spent over a year battling at St. Jude's Children's Hospital in Memphis before he passed last week.

I followed his progress on facebook and this kid was a true warrior...the treatments and suffering he endured would have been hard for anyone, let alone a two year old baby...

His family is getting ready to travel back to the Central Coast in an RV in a trip where they plan on trying to reconnect as a family, grieve and spread Baby Matthew's ashes along the way.

We are going to try and raise a little $$ to help the family out on their trip home...even if it only pays for a tank of gas for the RV or just helps out with food costs, it is worth it.

We are taking advantage of having some guys diving and chilling together on 2/23 at SWS for the DOTY Awards to do a Spearo of The Day comp.

-$10 donation (or more if you desire) to enter (can pay Andy FM1 at the beach, or pay via PayPal and bring your receipt). Paypal button on this page here: http://www.babymatthew.org/

-Longest fish wins. Sharks don't count. Fish check in between 1 and 2pm.

-All $$ to Baby Matthew's family.

-Winner gets the sick custom spearo art that Andy is making (see pics of work in progress).

Details on DOTY 2012 Awards/Dive/Chill here:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=43774.0

Conditions will likely be less than favorable, but just all being together will be a good time.

Saturday: Variable winds 5 kt or less. A slight chance of showers. Mixed swell...WNW 9 ft and SW 1 ft. Wind waves around 1 ft.

NOTE: Parking at SWS is very limited. Carpooling strongly encouraged to minimize parking issues. Please do NOT park in the parking lot by the pier/bathrooms. Just unload/load there and park back by the hedgerow OR back up the road (by the stop sign) at the Spa or tennis courts. There is plenty of free guest parking at the Spa, and it is really NOT a very long walk at all back to the beach!

Thank you!!!!!!

:)

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Pay it Forward Spearo of the Day Comp: 2/23 SWS
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 03:27:11 PM »
Thank you for posting BIG JIM I know Brandion,Jason and my slef will be attending this saturday would be great to see some other NCUH'ers there and keep in mind this is for a good cause.  hey Jim is there a award for the smallest fish ? LOL
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Ken Butler

• Was "northshorediver"
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 04:27:51 PM »
I will see you there guys.  Hey Matt could you tell Jason to bring an extra suit again in case I forgget mine ;)
Ken Butler

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 04:37:10 PM »
I will see you there guys.  Hey Matt could you tell Jason to bring an extra suit again in case I forgget mine ;)
ok will do, lol, and i will have a spare with me as well so we got u covered

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2013, 04:41:53 PM »
Thank you for posting BIG JIM I know Brandion,Jason and my slef will be attending this saturday would be great to see some other NCUH'ers there and keep in mind this is for a good cause.  hey Jim is there a award for the smallest fish ? LOL

LOL! I'll come up with something to recognize and honor the smallest fish of the day.  :  )

Stoked you guys are coming down...fingers crossed we can find some nice fish, but the potluck and chill in the afternoon will pretty much be a guaranteed good time.

:  )

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2013, 07:58:44 PM »
The 17th hedge row was closed on Monday due to construction.  They allowed us to park by the stairs so I'd say don't go if you don't carpool.  If We fill their parking lot with divers it might negatively affect the good thing we've got going. 

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 07:24:21 AM »
Parking will not deteer us, and josh they do recive some state funding thus they have to put up with us or trust they would have all ready locked us out. So all please come join in on the fun and enjoy the day and remmember this is for a good cause.

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2013, 09:28:08 AM »
The parking at SWS is limited, so carpooling is strongly encouraged (and you have to pay per vehicle to enter so it just makes good sense), BUT you can unload and load right there at the beach and even if hedgerow parking is full or closed there is plenty of free guest parking at the Spa or tennis courts.

When you drive back out you will get to a stop sign. Right across from this stop sign is the Spa and there is a LARGE free parking lot there. Please park there if you can't park at the hedgerow parking spots.

If the Spa is totally filled up (never seen that happen) you can park right across the road from the Spa at the Tennis Courts.

Then it is a short leisurely flat stroll back to the beach. :  )

Parking in these spots (hedgerow, spa or tennis courts) keeps the pebble beach folks happy with us, so PLEASE park there and smile and wave and be friendly.

If when you get there, if you have any questions about where to park, please just ask. If you need help after diving shuttling beer, food, coolers, bbqs etc. just ask and we can all work together.

Thank you!!

Sincerely,

Jim
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 10:49:57 AM by BigJim »

Offline Ken Butler

• Was "northshorediver"
    • YouTube
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2013, 09:58:12 AM »
I'd say don't go if you don't carpool.

LOL...damn I wish we had emodicons.
Ken Butler

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2013, 10:27:42 AM »
Here's a little map to help out....and a close up one of the Spa and Tennis Courts as well.

It's only a .26 mile walk from the spa parking back down to where the hedgerow parking is. It's paved, flat and easy.  :  )

You can see how big the lots are at Spa and tennis courts. :  )

The spots next to the pier/stairs/bathrooms are for members of pebble beach, not for kayakers/divers/guests.  Unload your gear there, move your car, and just walk on back. No biggie.  :  )

Hope this helps! I marked in blue where we will be doing the DOTY Awards/Potluck/Chill/Fish check in etc.

Thanks fellas!!

Sincerely,

Jim

« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 11:22:18 AM by BigJim »

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2013, 10:50:35 AM »
Wow.

What a great day!
Ton of great guys came down, the hedgerow was open for parking, conditions were not as bad as predicted, everybody got out and shot fish and had fun!!

Great to see NCUH faces: Matt, Jason, Brandon, Greg Gibson and more!!

In addition to all the diving, BBQing, potluck, fun and DOTY awards, we also raised some $ for the very worthy cause of helping out Baby Matthew's family.

Jason won the bad ass spearo clock made by Andy FM1 with a beauty of a 31.5 inch Ling!!

WTG Jason!!!!!!!

Here is the link to the report, vids and pics of the day...too many pics for me to repost LOL!

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=44671.0

Direct links to two cool vids here, but the pics are all in the report.  :  )

Huge thanks to all who came out for Baby Matthew, and to those who supported DOTY with prizes and kind words of encouragement.

:)

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline Ken Butler

• Was "northshorediver"
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2013, 01:44:04 PM »
Saturday was a great time with a bunch of great people.  Jim did an amazing job at putting together a fundraiser for baby Mathew and organizing the 2012 DOTY ceremony/potluck.  And Congrats to Jason for shooting the big fish, It must be good karma for bailing me out...twice.  Although your a pretty good diver too.  ;) 
Ken Butler

Offline Russ R.

• freedivin'
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2013, 05:58:45 PM »
Swweeeet Video JIM as always!!! Really dig your music selection!!! Is that RenoRuss with the Monkey Face?? Congrats to everyone who attended it was for a good cause!! Congrats to Jason too for winning!! ;-)

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2013, 10:26:42 PM »
Swweeeet Video JIM as always!!! Really dig your music selection!!! Is that RenoRuss with the Monkey Face?? Congrats to everyone who attended it was for a good cause!! Congrats to Jason too for winning!! ;-)

Thanks Russ!! Song is "Back on Dumaine" by Anders Osborne from his album "Coming Down"

http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Down-Anders-Osborne/dp/B000U1XILW

Yep, that was DesertDiver RussFromReno with the Monkey!! Made my whole weekend seeing him pull that booger out!!!

Sincerely,

Jim

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt