collapse

Author Topic: Catch & Cook Pics and Winner  (Read 663 times)

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
  • There's definitely a fish under THIS rock....
Catch & Cook Pics and Winner
« on: November 11, 2019, 02:37:31 PM »
ONE FOR THE BOOKS... (and aparently magazines... as I learned Edible Monterey is doing an article on the event to help build momentum for next year's comp).

I am excited to report that we had over 100 spectators, 38 competitors, lots of $$ raised for Save Our Shores and 37 pounds of trash picked up at the beach clean up (and fantastic family prizes for top 3 people to pick up most trash like a $150 certificate to 7D steakhouse paired with a $120 cert for Big Sur Adventures). We had prize packages (like an $1800 fishing kayak, $150 Shun Knife, $100 Kalletka Clothing certificate and custom magnetic knife block trophy for first place winner) for the top 5 highest scored plates, 1 prize package for biggest fish including a metal lingcod custom trophy from Jack Kim, and one for heaviest limit of purple urchins.

Huan "Solo" Le came in first place images (in album below) #340-345 - Canh Chua (sweet and sour fish soup) with Cá Kho Tộ (clay pot caramel braised fish).

Huge thank you to the judges for their time: Chef Thomas Snyder of Seventh & Dolores, Chef Danny Abbruzzese of the Portola Hotel & Spa and Chef Colin Moody of The Club at Pasadera. Thank you also for everyone that competed, volunteered, helped organize, helped solicit donations (like Matt Mattison connecting me with some businesses and people), and encouraged the event! Thank you to Monterey Bay Kayaks for hosting the event and Bamboo Reef for being the main sponsor.

It was a huge success and we look forward to next year.

HERE IS THE LINK to the album so you can see the fun!
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
Instagram - @thekeeneroo    Facebook - @Ekeener1
Century Free Diver, Level 1 Free Dive Cert, EANx
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place
Bring the Ling 2018 - 1st Place (=P)

Offline Zzz

• Imperius Rex
    • Zzz Youtube
Re: Catch & Cook Pics and Winner
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2019, 05:02:48 PM »
Great job on this, Keeneroo. Congrats on a successful event!

Offline Saltynuts

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2019, 09:57:52 PM »
Looks like an awesome event, well done!
The food looked very elevated and awesome album!
Glad I didn’t enter though, would have done battered and fried fish nugget or ceviche  ;D and to see everyone standing in line while the food is getting cold just hurts, although ceviche wouldn’t mind but anything fried or hot not served right away really suffers in the queue.
Maybe next year, eh?!
Congrats on the success!

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2019, 07:10:59 AM »
Looks like an awesome event, well done!
The food looked very elevated and awesome album!
Glad I didn’t enter though, would have done battered and fried fish nugget or ceviche  ;D and to see everyone standing in line while the food is getting cold just hurts, although ceviche wouldn’t mind but anything fried or hot not served right away really suffers in the queue.
Maybe next year, eh?!
Congrats on the success!

Yeah, that line was a killer... Everyone needed to be plated by 1p so that line was due to people cutting it close to the deadline. It's something I'd like to remedy for next year but I'm at a loss for how to... any ideas on how to give everyone a fair chance to plate and submit without letting food get cold? I was thinking a white board where you put your name on it 5 min before youre ready to submit food and that way people have a better idea on how long it will be...
"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails." - William Arthur Ward

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

Offline Sea-Monkey

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2019, 09:47:10 PM »
Hi Eric,
Thank you for doing the very heavy lifting on this event. Your hard work showed and it was a resounding success.
The prizes were ridiculous!!!
Although I was unable to dive and compete due to my lingering pneumonia  >:( I still had a blast watching all of the competitors and their culinary creations.
I agree with other folks who posted that "...I am glad I didn't compete in the cooking competition"... since it appeared to be strictly upper division plates - STIFF COMPETITION!!! I can't wait to see next year's lineup of sponsors/ prizes/ participants. I will definitely need a full year to develop and refine my recipe.
-Mike

Offline TheKeeneroo

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2019, 07:17:59 AM »
Hi Eric,
Thank you for doing the very heavy lifting on this event. Your hard work showed and it was a resounding success.
The prizes were ridiculous!!!
Although I was unable to dive and compete due to my lingering pneumonia  >:( I still had a blast watching all of the competitors and their culinary creations.
I agree with other folks who posted that "...I am glad I didn't compete in the cooking competition"... since it appeared to be strictly upper division plates - STIFF COMPETITION!!! I can't wait to see next year's lineup of sponsors/ prizes/ participants. I will definitely need a full year to develop and refine my recipe.
-Mike

Sorry you couldn't dive, Mike! It was great to meet you. I'm glad I didn't compete too! Those top 3 plates were insane - I still can't believe Matt foraged everything in his plate down to sea salt from tide pools. It was such a fun day. We got a lot of media in the pipeline after this event and one of the judges and I have been talking daily about a cooking series he is doing in the spring that he now wants to add spearfishing into. Pebble Beach food and Wine also is reaching out to me to explore the idea of pairing divers with Michelin Star Chefs to do a catch and cook comp. And I just heard back from Spearfishing Magazine that might put an article in their magazine which is epic! All that just means that sponsorship next year should be top notch. I hope so!

Can't wait to see how it all pans out. We were really fortunate for such a smooth event and encouraging group of competitors. So much fun to see everyone sharing all their food, laughing and trading dive stories/recipes.

We should both practice our recipes starting now! =P

Eric, Pacific Grove
DOTY 2018 - 3rd Place

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt