collapse

Author Topic: Agua Lung 7mm?  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Fishkraft

Agua Lung 7mm?
« on: January 14, 2013, 01:36:31 PM »
Just found this suit for sale. Anybody know anything about them? Reviews look good but mostly for scuba.

Ruben

Offline Russ R.

• freedivin'
Re: Agua Lung 7mm?
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 06:22:58 PM »
Dont do it,expecially if you take diving seriously-Scuba wetsuits are typically not made of the same material as freedive wetsuits. A freedive wetsuit is made from open cell neoprene and can stretch 4ways rather than 2ways with a scuba wetsuit,also freedive a wetsuit a less constrictive. I see alot of guys wearing scuba suits that can barely move in them,you have 10x the mobility in a freedive suit vs a scuba suit.They are also alot warmer than a scuba suit. A freedive wetsuit properly fitted will fit like spandex thus keeping unwanted water from entering the suit and the water that does come in is warmed by your body.Alot of the guys here will NEVER dive again in a scuba suit after diving w/a freedive wetsuit. I know they can be pricey but are well worth it in the long run!! Call "THE FREEDIVE SHOP" in SACRAMENTO and they will help out with your need or answer any of your concerns. They also rent freedive wetsuits as well. Cheers-Russ

Offline Fishkraft

Agua Lung 7mm?
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2013, 06:35:34 PM »
I was reading the description at an online store (leisure world maybe) and they describe it as being ultra flexible and stretching four ways... Not the same thing?

Ruben

Offline .

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2013, 07:42:50 PM »
If you plan on primarily freediving, then go with a freedive/open cell suit. If you plan on primarily SCUBA diving, then you might consider going with the Aqua Lung.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2013, 07:49:40 PM »
I was reading the description at an online store (leisure world maybe) and they describe it as being ultra flexible and stretching four ways... Not the same thing?

Ruben

Everybody gets their neoprene from Japan and ships it to china to be made into wetsuits.  Many "scuba" suits have four way stretch neoprene.  The major difference is the lining in a "scuba" suit is material like lycra so you get more water movement and they are colder.  The outer material on "scuba" suit is typically more durable and therefore less flexible.  "Scuba" suit also have zippers that leak.  Henderson and Xcel make great 4 way stretch suits but the price is right up there with a freedive suit.  Freedive suits don't last as long but they outperform the "scuba" suit.   

Offline Ken Butler

• Was "northshorediver"
    • YouTube
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2013, 08:15:13 PM »
If you plan on primarily freediving, then go with a freedive/open cell suit. If you plan on primarily SCUBA diving, then you might consider going with the Aqua Lung.

Ruben

Everybody gets their neoprene from Japan and ships it to china to be made into wetsuits.  Many "scuba" suits have four way stretch neoprene.  The major difference is the lining in a "scuba" suit is material like lycra so you get more water movement and they are colder.  The outer material on "scuba" suit is typically more durable and therefore less flexible.  "Scuba" suit also have zippers that leak.  Henderson and Xcel make great 4 way stretch suits but the price is right up there with a freedive suit.  Freedive suits don't last as long but they outperform the "scuba" suit.   
I was typing this post and realized Rick and Rob said exactly what I had typed.  +1   
Ken Butler

Offline Fej

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 09:15:31 AM »
Just found this suit for sale. Anybody know anything about them? Reviews look good but mostly for scuba.

Ruben

Solafx?

I've been using the Excel Polar Quad (8/7/6/5 mil) for scuba and freediving, I believe aqualung based their solafx on the excel. I haven't had any problems with using it for freediving, only time I ever get cold is on longer scuba dives. I don't doubt that freediving suits are better for freediving, I haven't used one so I can't vouch for them. I can't afford another suit at this point so I'll continue using it for both until it wears out and probably replace it with a freediving suit.
Jeff

Offline Fishkraft

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2013, 12:23:13 PM »
Thanks Guys, I decided to pass on the Agua Lung. Guess I'm gonna have to sell a kayak and/or some H&L gear to finance this spearo thing...

Anybody got any used gear for sale? Know anybody?

Ruben

Offline Russ R.

• freedivin'
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2013, 08:31:56 PM »
Hey ruben, Alot of people have used Freedive suits for sale, Check Spearboard or call "The FreeDive Shop" and see what they have in the used section in 7mm.

Offline Russ R.

• freedivin'
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2013, 08:39:35 PM »

Everybody gets their neoprene from Japan and ships it to china to be made into wetsuits.  Many "scuba" suits have four way stretch neoprene.     
[/quote]

Sorry Rob ,but I seriously doubt this one. Yammamoto in a "scuba suit"" LOL!!! I doubt they would even use shieko,niam lung or heawa in a "scuba suit" considering the fact that some scuba suits are dirt cheap and also feel like 9mm compared to a 7mm "freedive suit".

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2013, 12:04:31 AM »

Everybody gets their neoprene from Japan and ships it to china to be made into wetsuits.  Many "scuba" suits have four way stretch neoprene.     

Sorry Rob ,but I seriously doubt this one. Yammamoto in a "scuba suit"" LOL!!! I doubt they would even use shieko,niam lung or heawa in a "scuba suit" considering the fact that some scuba suits are dirt cheap and also feel like 9mm compared to a 7mm "freedive suit".
[/quote]

I know for a fact that my Xcel is Yamamoto 45. 

Yamamoto has been making neoprene and "scuba suits" since 1961.  Far longer than the so-called free dive suits have been in existence.

As far as dirt cheap.  JBL and Mako suits are made with Yamamoto neoprene.

Offline Ken Butler

• Was "northshorediver"
    • YouTube
« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2013, 09:09:12 AM »
  JBL and Mako suits are made with Yamamoto neoprene.[/quote]
As is the Yazbeck
Ken Butler

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2013, 10:31:37 AM »
Basically, all the names getting thrown around are manufacturers.  Just like most manufacturers, the companies that produce neoprene also manufacture other materials and different grades of materials.  I think Nam Liong even makes kevlar and velcro.

Here is a brief synopsis from Yamamoto.

http://www.topsurfmarine.com/New-21.html

Here is a link to deeper blue if you want to find info on Sheico, Heiwa etc.

http://forums.deeperblue.com/wetsuits/73832-wetsuit-neoprene-real-deal-guide.html

Some companies don't even label the name of the manufacturer of the neoprene.

When it comes to wetsuits there are a lot of choices.  I think once you try a freedive suit you won't want to go back. 

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt