collapse

Author Topic: Observation...  (Read 1159 times)

Offline Lawdog (AKA "Ling Dinger")

• What would an ocean be without a monster lurking
Observation...
« on: February 05, 2013, 03:23:48 PM »
Observation…

The simple fact that your reading these words right now tells me something. It tells me my fate is sealed with the rest of you land dwellers, forever bound and shackled by this obsession. It’s February, not even spring, winter time, yet I find myself drawn to this silly computer screen to read the latest post, inject my opinion, enjoy the playful banter, enlighten my still green knowledge of the sport. Amazing that we enjoy such a primitive activity yet when it isn’t available the latest technology keeps us connected with it somehow.

I thought a new thread may be beneficial, a moment of reflection so to speak on my first year of diving. It was March of last year when I first lubed up a suit, does anyone else find that inappropriate to say, and took my first plunge into the Pacific. We were not there to do anything but experience the ocean, kind of a try it see if you like it day…beginning of many great stories!!!

I have hunted and fished my whole life. Growing up outside of Redding it wasn’t uncommon to log three or four fishing days a week and in my late teens and early twenties I helped run a guide service hunting black bears and bobcats. I give that info not to boast but to put in perspective that the outdoors defined me. Years later I would move down from the mountains to Vacaville for employment and to start my life with my new bride. New experiences, work, and soon after children, would drastically change the amount of outdoor time I had. Fast forward several years and a random web search in Sept of 2011 about these large snails, abalone, a friend had mentioned and how fun it was diving for them. Some loud, obnoxious dude, replies to my post of “interest in the sport” and enter in one of many new friends for me, thanks for the reply Mr. Russo!

Funny how moments in life can completely change your direction, how was I to know the next several months of “pm’s”, posts, and phone calls would lead to that first day at breakwater, that day which would eventually lead to a new passion, a new interest, one that far exceeded any of the other outdoor enjoyment I have ever had.

I have spent days upon days in the woods of northern California; I have left those woods for the underwater forest of kelp. I have bent countless rods on almost every species of fish in northern California; those rods are in the garage having given way to a steel shaft and large rubber bands. I have pursued a monster five point buck (a ten pointer in other parts of our country), but left him to graze while I chase another ten….this one is in inches with a shell for the wall not antlers.

While those past moments were amazing and fond in my memory I can say there is something different. Maybe it is because I am older, maybe it is because I am out enjoying the good Lords creation more, and maybe it’s the experience of something new, I don’t know. But what I do know is that I am drawn to this sport, this experience, these memories, much more than any of the previous.

Along this journey so far I have met many new friends, and look forward to many more. I have a multitude of great stories already, and I must say the write ups after my dives have been so enjoyable; hope they have been for you all as well. So as we approach another season, or a second for us newbies, please enjoy the moment, share the sport with someone else, dive safely, post a report, laugh (even if it’s at your own expense), and feel free to take me to your trophy dive spots lol!!!

“We all know of the ocean, but we all don’t know the ocean. Those of us that do; we children of the tide, must return to it time and time again. Until one day we don’t return, and all that’s left are the moments we touched along the way.”  -Unknown
"Josh Russo ruined my life"

Offline BigJim

• No White Flags.
Re: Observation...
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2013, 06:08:27 PM »
You have a way with words Matt!

Thanks for sharing your perspective and observations...well stated, and I for one share many of the same feelings.

Looking forward to seeing you OTW soon.

:  )

Sincerely,

Jim

Offline ABHUNTER501

• Check this out!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2013, 06:43:42 PM »
WOW, Feel the same way. I too have just started diving (3 Years) and I'M obsessed. I Love being in the Ocean. I surfed for 28 years and have always enjoyed the ocean! Moved to the mountain's  about 12 years ago in Northern Calif. And felt something missing. ( The Ocean ). One day on Easter Break (Kids) we pulled up at Casper, Mendo when I was greeted by another Fireman that was camped next to us ( Russ from Reno ). Wow, the next few days Russ introduced me back to the Ocean! He showed me the ropes , and I was hooked. Three years later Its all I think of (well other things too) but I'm hooked. But Lawman I can relate and WoW what a great post.   Greg

Offline chaeki

• TTASAMO - Chaeki
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2013, 06:53:14 PM »
Excellent write up...  You just can't get enough of that underwater excitement, dying to see what else you will discover in that vast sea!

Offline underwater1

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2013, 06:54:53 PM »
Great post! Well said.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2013, 07:06:52 PM »
It's tantric for him. He stopped writing dive reports so he can entertain us in the off season. Way I count he still owes us two and one was the ROTY tournament so I say.........

Dive report, dive report, dive report.

Offline Russ R.

• freedivin'
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2013, 10:10:32 PM »
Please post a dive report with pics!! It will break up the shenagains!!             

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2013, 10:28:30 PM »
Awesome Lawdog! Can't wait to dive with you!
if you kill it, you eat it.... don't be a dick

Offline Fej

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2013, 10:38:46 PM »
Excellent post! Very well said.

I love that quote.
Jeff

Offline Lawdog (AKA "Ling Dinger")

• What would an ocean be without a monster lurking
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2013, 10:03:27 AM »

Ok Russ, for you I will do it, I will make it a long one so you have something to read on the crapper!!!
"Josh Russo ruined my life"

Offline Desertdiver

• When I Grow Up still want to be a Diver & Fireman
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2013, 10:20:31 AM »

Ok Russ, for you I will do it, I will make it a long one so you have something to read on the crapper!!!

Thanks for the Post.  It helped bring back a little perspective for some of us.  But as I was told when I first stared hanging out with some of these characters, misfits (I include myself here), and the occasional legend.  No  Pics , didn't happen......So I quess we need to vist Ma Ocean have some more adventures and generate some pics/vids.  Thanks again, your post did brighten my day.

RussfromReno

Offline TrevorG

• fishtaku
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2013, 11:05:14 AM »
Haven't met you Lawdog but like you last year was my first real year of diving. Logged about 36 dives in 2012 and it was one of the best years of my life.  Cheers man! Stoked for you!
fishtaku.com

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt