collapse

Author Topic: Sacramento hunt-NOT A BICKERING POST!!  (Read 1706 times)

Offline Russ R.

• freedivin'
Sacramento hunt-NOT A BICKERING POST!!
« on: December 15, 2012, 07:20:23 PM »
I had a really productive day today in the forest 10min away from my house!!! I ended up with-Lions Maine,Zellers bolete,Shaggy Parasol,Blewitt,Honey, and Fairy Ring Mushrooms. Lions Maine went about 4lbs. Total weight of mushrooms is about 11lbs. STAY AWAY FROM THIS POST IF YOUR GOING TO BE NEGATIVE!!

Offline Sun

Re: Sacramento hunt-NOT A BICKERING POST!!
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 08:33:52 PM »
Awesome!!! I got to learn this too.

Offline Badfish

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 10:28:45 PM »
Very nice!  I am working on my identification skills as well.  I am just looking for the easy ones for now that are hard to make a mistake with like the Golden Chanterelle.  Nice work and thanks for the post.

Offline oldmanfishing

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 08:30:23 AM »
I also need to learn this . I walk the hill by my house, I live in the country, and after the rains I find tons of mushrooms of all size some are huge and in clusters and different kinds. I took a few pictures of some but I'm sure I have some good , some bad. There is a cattle farm I walk by also I'm sure your "special " kind are the also. Any pros that live close to napa let me know and ill take you for a walk. It's a steep climb and no parking along the road . It's up wild horse valley road.  Lots of large oak trees, steep sides, I find them along side the road everywhere, Shannon

Offline todd

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 08:35:43 AM »
Nice haul, its good to see fungi other than boletus and chanterelles!
Im not a fan of zellers, but do like tHe mirabilis....
Not a fan of the honey but Im a fan of the shaggy parasol, holds its texture in long cooking like stew....
Blewits are great, i saute them w peas or make a classic french duxel and stuff something....
But the most choice, and medicinal is your lions main- fantastic find
Todd Stagnaro

Offline oldmanfishing

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 08:44:52 AM »

Here's one picture , anybody know?

Offline Russ R.

• freedivin'
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 10:08:49 AM »
Thanks everyone!! Hey Shannon, the mushrooms look like HONEY MUSHROOMS(the stem should peel apart like string cheese and there should be fine hairs on the top of the cap w/speckles of darker color on the cap,they grow on trees and at the base in clusters, the gills should be off white/if the mushroom is yellow and the gills are green or chartruese its a sulfur tuft(poisionous)) Honey is edible and ok tasting. Get the book "All that the rain promises and more" by David Auora. Its $17 w/shipping and helps out a ton!! Also Mycoweb.com is an awesome site. ApneaAddict told me about the book and website!! Be positive about your Mushroom ID cause if your wrong it could make you ill or even worse!! Cheers!!-Russ

Offline oldmanfishing

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 08:30:39 AM »

I think one is oyster...? Thanks Russ I went to the web site, sure are lots of different kinds.

Offline Russ R.

• freedivin'
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
Hey Shannon, The top one looks like a "Fairy Ring Mushroom".They grow in circles in the grass and are very tasty. There stem is thin and not hollow and will not break when bent(kinda like a fresh twig) and they look like a over easy egg cooking on top of the cap,when picked they usually come out roots and all. Look it up though on mycoweb!! I have no experience w/oyster......
Did sturegon start yet??? Cheers!!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast