collapse

Author Topic: I Need Help Identifying  (Read 3908 times)

Offline Badfish

I Need Help Identifying
« on: December 14, 2012, 09:47:23 PM »
Hey All,
I am a newbie in the mushroom hunting arena.  I have seen some of you post on the subject in the last few years and have become curious/interested in the hunt for some wild edibles.  I have never joined an organized foray and I don't know any experts to hunt with.  Today I decided to strike out on my own very near my home in Aptos, just south of Santa Cruz.  I went out just to see what I would find.  I found a fairly large variety, most of which I couldn't come close to identifying.  I have a few pics of a couple I was hoping you could help me with.  Are these small porcinis?  I found ones I have seen in all the fairytales I believe they are Fly Agarics.  Are these edible as I have seen varying reports?  The last I am not sure of.  Any info would be greatly apreciated.  The hunt was a blast.

Offline todd

Re: I Need Help Identifying
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 12:25:17 AM »
Not a porcini....

Yes you have a fly agaric ( amanita muscaria)

Last looks like a pine spike or cortinarious....
Todd Stagnaro

Offline Badfish

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 12:39:41 AM »
Thanks for that Todd.  I have been reading about the fly agaric and it seems most say it is edible and mildly toxic (hallucinogenic) but the toxins can be removed with boiling.  I won't try eating them as I am not sure what the outcome would be as to the so-called toxic effects.  I am not looking for that effect.  I found a large grove of them, about 30 mushrooms.

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 08:47:39 PM »
Yup, the amanita muscaria are hallucinogenic, and the hallucinogens can be cooked out. Feel free to PM me the GPS coordinates and I'll let you know how how strong they are.

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2012, 12:13:21 AM »
I just went on a trip to Oregon and back, I harvested some amanita muscaria and i know some people who eat them, however its not the kind of shroom you really want to trip from, it can be permanently altering to your personality and mental state if you accidentally eat too much. I found (1) porcini on the whole trip and various chantereles and hedgehogs. Salt Point should be FULL of shrooms, but if you are in Santa Cruz area... Damn Son, Look by old growth coastal or doug fir pines in the mountains and your bound to find a bounty!! Be careful you don't accidentally wander on private property unknowingly, I just had a gun pulled on me in Oregon....sheesh
if you kill it, you eat it.... don't be a dick

Offline todd

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2012, 07:44:19 AM »
Where did you go in oregon?  Im big into the coastal scene up there from yachats to brooking gold beach to the dunes around florence.  Its legal in most parks to pick so no worries from rangers but if you pick matsutake you need to cut off bottom to make it so you cant sell commercial.  Dune picking is cool, I have GPS spots because the canopy is open for the most part...
Todd Stagnaro

Offline Badfish

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 11:06:25 AM »
Yeah I have come across a lot of grow sites in the hills around here.  I definitely don't want to get shot at hiking for shrooms.  I just have been stir crazy these last few weeks.  I blew out my back so there has been no diving or surfing for me.  I decided to poke around with the intent of looking for mushrooms for the first time the other day.  I know there are some good spots to look around here though. 

Yup, the amanita muscaria are hallucinogenic, and the hallucinogens can be cooked out. Feel free to PM me the GPS coordinates and I'll let you know how how strong they are.

I went back to that area yesterday and somebody picked the whole lot of them.  Guess they wanted to get real high!  If you come down this way let me know.  We can check out some spots.  I am looking for more of the edible kinds though (just starting to learn about how to identify them).

Todd, if you ever head down this way let me know.  I would love to tag along and pick up some tips from someone with the knowledge that you have.

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 07:00:46 PM »
I just went on a trip to Oregon and back, I harvested some amanita muscaria and i know some people who eat them, however its not the kind of shroom you really want to trip from, it can be permanently altering to your personality and mental state if you accidentally eat too much. I found (1) porcini on the whole trip and various chantereles and hedgehogs. Salt Point should be FULL of shrooms, but if you are in Santa Cruz area... Damn Son, Look by old growth coastal or doug fir pines in the mountains and your bound to find a bounty!! Be careful you don't accidentally wander on private property unknowingly, I just had a gun pulled on me in Oregon....sheesh

Ya, I have heard differing reports about those shrooms. Someone gave a lecture recently at a MSSF event about them. I missed it. Some people say they are medicinal too. One thing I can say for sure is, I went to the Fungus Fest in Berkeley and many of the people there look like they had permanently altered by something.

JMSTUFF

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 06:23:22 PM »
Hi, Here is a great site for ID help.  Submit pics and other info and people will fight over trying to ID them for you.  www.mushroomobserver.org

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 01:15:30 PM »
Can anyone help with this one?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Offline Russ R.

• freedivin'
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 11:16:03 PM »
Hey brandon,I would need more pics to be sure but it looks similar to a 'BLEWITT'(edible and good) from the cap. Is the gills purple tinged?? When you cut the stem is it solid and is the stem purple on the inside or smell of roses?? Make sure your ID is correct,also look at MYCOWEB.com for help. Look up spore printing too it can help to make a positive ID. Here is an example of BLEWITT(outside)-the mushrom in the middle is called BEARS HEAD and is found on rotting trees ;-)

« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 11:17:37 PM by Russ R. »

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 09:06:36 AM »
SHROOM HEADS!! HAHA Looks good Fellas
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline Lawdog (AKA "Ling Dinger")

• What would an ocean be without a monster lurking
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 10:37:03 PM »
I'm not a mushroom guy but found these in a family members backyard this week, any idea what they are!

"Josh Russo ruined my life"

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 12:00:32 AM »
I have always been excited by sightings of mushrooms in the wild.  And this week I bought "Mushrooms Demystified" because a shroom geek at the SF Fungus Fest, with bottle lens glasses was showing me all these amazing spore slides thru a microscope while keeping one hand on that book like a bible. So far it seems like a great book. What do you guys recommend to get for a beginners mushroom foraging field guide?

Offline .

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 12:13:16 AM »
I've spent the past week mushroom hunting, from the peninsula to the Monterey. I've found a number of porcini, butter boletes, cauliflowers, honey mushrooms, and hundreds upon hundreds of candy caps and Amanita muscaria.

I have always been excited by sightings of mushrooms in the wild.  And this week I bought "Mushrooms Demystified" because a shroom geek at the SF Fungus Fest, with bottle lens glasses was showing me all these amazing spore slides thru a microscope while keeping one hand on that book like a bible. So far it seems like a great book. What do you guys recommend to get for a beginners mushroom foraging field guide?

All That the Rain Promises and More by David Arora. A little outdated, but very handy. Cheap too... can find it for $8-10 online.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast