collapse

Author Topic: Best Rockfish Recipe?  (Read 2684 times)

Glaucus

Best Rockfish Recipe?
« on: October 06, 2009, 04:27:16 PM »
Whats' the best way you've found to prepare rockfish?  If it's just "tacos", what are you breading it with and how are you frying (pan, deep fryer ect)?

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
Re: Best Rockfish Recipe?
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 04:39:09 PM »
Ask Mike R (divn-cali) I think anyway he did some up on our last club dive dude it rocked with his home secret tarter rocken bro
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Abdvrob

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 04:45:50 PM »
Fish Tacos!!! I use Tempura and replace the nasty ass tarter jizz with some home-made salsa.

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 04:53:16 PM »
Sounded a little personal there, obviously you haven't had my tartar sauce! Don't be too hasty to judge man! It wasn't a winner at the last club dive for nothing! Besides, I think salsa and tortilla's take away from the fish's natural flavor :icon_tongue:, but they are great all the same and fresh salsa always rocks! I've had a lot of "non fish eaters" become big time rock cod eaters after having my fried fish and homemade tartar! So whatever dude! :laughing7:
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Abdvrob

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 05:12:48 PM »
Dont get all emotional and sensitive over the tarter jizz thing Mike  :thefinger: :laughing7: Im sure the others just love it.

I HATE anything white, like, mayo, sour cream, tarter, etc.

Glaucus

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2009, 07:51:26 PM »
 :laughing4: :laughing4:  Y'all are crackin' me up!  I asked for a recipe (still don't have one... :crybaby2:) and these two jokers are breakin' each others balls!  :boxing:

Abdvrob

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 08:38:01 PM »
Your right Glaucus, sorry for the derail! I have no secret recipe except for the Tempura I mentioned earlier. Great with the fresh salsa. Others want to PUSH the tarter sauce slop on ya, but I say the hell with it!! Who needs it?!   :laughing7: :laughing7:  Mike is my boy and he knows Im busting his balls a little. I'd expect nothing less from him either.

Hope this helped!! :laughing7:

Glaucus

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 09:13:13 PM »
No worries, I thought it was funny as hell!  And thanks for the tip, hopefully I have some fish to fry on Saturday.   :icon_thumleft:Can't wait for the Cook-off in November to try everybody's best stuff. 

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 10:23:59 PM »
     Ya man, that's just the way we do each other! I forgot that you hated mayo Rob, makes a heck of a lot more sense now, you don't but that does! :bootyshake: Man I can't wait for the fight night, it'll be fish tacos and fried fish with tartar sauce :toothy9:. One thing me and my boy Rob will agree on is the brewsky for the fight! No nonsense there hey bro?
     Any way, this was Glaucus's thread, so I can only add that the way I fry my fillets, of any kind of Rock fish or Ling Cod, is that I don't flower my fillets, I simply dip them in the egg and milk mixture, just like you would use for french toast. Then, simply roll them in Italian bread crumbs, Progresso or Contadina brands only,that Safeway crap sucks! Fry the fish on med./high heat, olive oil only (maybe canola if you're frying a big amount, but for me the fish and ab for that matter deserve the better oil). It should only take about two minutes per side to get golden brown, any longer and the fish just absorbs more oil and is not as pleasing to the pallet, even less time for smaller and thinner fillets like perch and small Blues/Blacks. But not so hot that you scorch the crumbs black to fast. The real key is to eat the fish hot, as soon as it's done! I like to have people take it from me as it comes off the pan, that's what I did at the Club Dive and it was a hit. Nothing special on my part, the fish does it all on it's own!
     OK, now for my tartar sauce. This is a family recipe so please, do share it with others and pass on a great tradition. Again, this is simple, but sometimes simple is the best. I don't have a set amount of ingredients, I make it by eye depending on the amount that I will need. But for starters I'll give amounts to feed a large family or group of six or so.

Mike's Family Tartar Sauce (handed down by me pop's)

1 cup Best Foods Mayo (no substitute, the others suck!)
1/2 cup (or half of a small jar) of dill pickle relish.
2 Limes or 1 Lemon (squeezed for all their worth) of juice. Here you can substitute with Concentated Lime Juice or Lemon Juice, it even makes the tartar sauce thicker because there's less water in the concentrate. But fresh is always best. I also feel that the lime juice is better flavor than the lemon.
1 TBSP of Tapatio Sauce (or more depending on how spicy you may like it)
Finally a pinch of salt and two pinches of black pepper.
Stir all this stuff up to an even blend, chill, then enjoy! It holds very well so you can refridgerate the unused portions promptly and it'll be good for several days to go with any left overs. It makes a great sandwich spread for fish sandwiches also.
Hope you all can enjoy this, I'll share anything I have with my fellow NCUH'ers!
Mike Rogers

Glaucus

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2009, 07:28:27 AM »
Thanks bro, I'll try it after I shoot some fish on Saturday! 

Abdvrob

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2009, 04:48:47 PM »
Roger that Mike!! Cant wait for fight night. Heineken right?! All except the tarter sauce, I'll have to bring my own salsa so Im not stuck with that other stuff.

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2009, 11:24:48 AM »
I expected nothing less my friend. Can't wait to try another home made salsa recipe, I love that stuff!
     Hey, anyone is welcome to come, I live in Antioch which is fairly far for most except Rob and I think Kaveh. Any way, some killer fights, killer grub and if you bring your sleeping bag (if you plan on drinking and don't want to drive) then I got air mattresses and I'll make some kick ass biscuits and gravy in the morning, another family recipe! Perhaps I'll post another thread for this side event. I don't want to hijack this thread yet again!

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 11:30:27 AM »
Hey Rob, I just realized that the fight night is on the 24th isn't it? We're diving that day! So this might have to wait for another time. I'm gonna go to the UFC web site and find out for sure.

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 11:35:24 AM »
Yep, it's the 24th! So if diving conditions go south, we can still all get together for the fights at my house!

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2009, 01:18:05 PM »
 you guys are killin me :laughing7: :laughing7:

anyways here is a recipe I use quik and simple. Filet your fish and try and de bone it once cleaned  pull a nice strip of foil. Cut some fresh lemons into slices and take all the seeds out. Lay 2-4 slices of lemon in the center of the foil now place the fish on the lemon slices and season as you wish. I use a little garlic fresh ofcourse and salt and pepper with fresh basil and a tbl spoon of butter (if you use margarine it doesent work as well) After that close the foil and seal all the way around and then use another piece of foil and wrap it again. For oven go 350 for 15 mins for BBQ go 5 mins both sides then open and enjoy.....
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt