collapse

Author Topic: Looking for some used gear  (Read 437 times)

Looking for some used gear
« on: January 09, 2013, 09:51:14 PM »
I just got into the sport and I am looking for some gear.  I need a weight belt, weights and some free dive fins.  I am a size 10 1/2 and weigh 185.  I blew my wad on the rest of the gear and am looking for some inexpensive stuff to complete the package and get in the water.  I'm not picky, as long as it is functional I don't mind scrapes and cosmetic damage.
I don't have to outrun the shark... I just have to outrun you!!!

Offline divn-cali

Re: Looking for some used gear
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 05:10:15 AM »
Unfortunately weights are pretty expensive even old ones! And free diving fins aren't cheap either! About the cheapest ones new are still $150! But you never know, this is a good site to start your search. But good luck! Those two items are costly in general. Wish I could help but I use every piece of gear I own! Try all the boards and see if there is anything that your looking for.
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Offline Lawdog (AKA "Ling Dinger")

• What would an ocean be without a monster lurking
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 07:36:19 AM »
Whats up Perry, welcome to the madness. We gotta go dive. Great group of guys here and im sure somebody will have some used stuff to offload!!!
"Josh Russo ruined my life"

Offline Flipper

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 10:05:47 AM »
A. Perry,
For weights, try the recology yards. I got This hot tip from MAO Diver and had good luck picking up "ready to use" scrap weights. Try calling around in relation to where you're at. As for fins, you may find someone on here willing to part with a "competition prize" or on another site. Best bet is to go see Greg and Vanessa at the Freedive shop in W. Sac. and try on all of the fins they have in stock. You DO NOT want your tootsies to be uncomforatable. I picked up a new pair of Vertex fins there for $100 and they're great! Comperable to the Picasso Blacks that are no longer ava. Look forward to seeing you in the water with "ling dinger."
The more I learn, the less I know.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 04:38:33 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys.  Sounds like the free dive shop may be the way to go.  I will see if I can get some weights from a recycler.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 04:57:34 PM »
my buddy jason has a pair of fiber glass blades in omer foot pockets for a size ten for sale for $100.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline tommygun50

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 05:08:21 PM »
I have the same deal on size 11 fins.
tom krebs
San Bruno, CA

Offline mendoman

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 10:27:55 AM »
Try to get some old tire weights and hook up with someone that has a mold. Cheap way to get all the weight you need.

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 05:21:31 PM »
PM urmaddad here at NCUH.
He makes the 2 lb. bullet weights.

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 05:29:45 PM »
Thanks for your help guys.  I'm going to try the free dive shop for some used rental fins and I will pm urmaddad.

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 08:26:49 PM »
I just had a revelation.... I have plenty of handguns and not enough dive gear. Anybody interested in a trade?  Dealer transfer on the gun of course.  I am willing to part with a nice smith & Wesson 5906 9mm with 3 magazines and night sights and a hard case.  I really need some size 10.5 free dive fins, weight belt ab bar, weights and a spear gun.  I would also consider a used kayak.

JRossi

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2013, 09:18:52 PM »
Hey do free dive fins make a real big difference? I have some nice split fins from my SCUBA set up that I use but I have never tried anything else. The free dive fins are longer right?

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt