collapse

Author Topic: Salt point mushroom hunt  (Read 1890 times)

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Salt point mushroom hunt
« on: December 03, 2012, 08:20:33 PM »
On Friday Jason and I decided to do some mushroom hunting since we had all this rain and the ocean was and an angry beast. We hit up some Jason go to spots in the salt pit area and it payed off pretty good for us. This was my fist time doing this so I hung close to Jason learning where and what to look for and how to identify the certain types of shrooms. We hunted for about 30 min when we made are first find and guess who found the bounty of the day the NEWBIE me !!!! My first find was a a fallen tan oak that was about 30ft long and was covered in oyster mushrooms nice !!! As we were finishing up collecting our bounty off the log which was about 6 pounds I look up to see another log just as covered. We continued to walk in the misty Forrest of the north coast looking for my shrooms of different variety's to round our allotted limited we finished with 2 real nice big and clean king Boletus , handful of golden Chanterelles 1- white Chanterelles that Jason said are a rare find. So in all a great and productive of hunting and learned how to find and gather another one of our north coast edible delight' s. Sorry no pics but it did happen. LOL . 
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
Re: Salt point mushroom hunt
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 09:01:03 PM »
Very nice Matt. I would like to get out there with you guys soon.
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Offline todd

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 09:21:46 PM »
Way to go, now that youve scored your hooked for life!

Todd Stagnaro

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 09:48:14 PM »
The Chanterelles are the best!!! dry pan fry em till they lose most of their water and brown up, then throw some butter in there to finish em off, LIKE BACON!!
This will give you a good flavor boost to taste the flavor of just the shroom, there...Greeeeeat!(scottish accent)
if you kill it, you eat it.... don't be a dick

Offline Russ R.

• freedivin'
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 09:40:49 PM »
Sweet!!! Congrats on the oysters,porchini and the chantrelles.Dude we will have to have a double day soon-dive till 1 mushroom hunt till dark!! Cheers M8

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 09:55:46 PM »
I will drink to that!
if you kill it, you eat it.... don't be a dick

Offline Julian

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 02:28:12 PM »
Good to hear you guys had a nice hunt.  Thats some good variety...taking home oysters and chants and porcinis in the same day is awesome.

Sweet!!! Congrats on the oysters,porchini and the chantrelles.Dude we will have to have a double day soon-dive till 1 mushroom hunt till dark!! Cheers M8

You may want to reverse the order man.  Mushroom season up around Salt Point is no secret and a lot of spots can get picked out fast...especially when porcinis are popping.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast