collapse

Author Topic: banded vs. neumatic?  (Read 1324 times)

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

banded vs. neumatic?
« on: July 02, 2009, 04:26:15 PM »
    Just trying to get everyones take on this before i make my next purchase of a new speargun. So what are the positive and negatives to both from all of your experience? Ive never had a chance to try a neumatic I currently use a JBL double band and im looking for a new weapon ;) Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Jason Holliday
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

Abdvrob

Re: banded vs. neumatic?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 04:59:25 PM »
I love banded! Im not too impressed with the pneumatic guns. I can hear my dive buddys shot everytime. Some people love them though. So, to each their own. As to which gun to buy? Simple, whatevers in your budget. For the North Coast you dont need anything big or fancy. Banded though. But Im biased ;D My $.02.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 08:04:18 PM »
I like both, and Jason next time we dive I will bring my mares pneumatic and you can try it out to see how it preforms. Like I said it is this same exact gun.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 09:32:28 PM »
The short Pneumatic with a flashlight taped to it is nice in that you can get under the rocks were the lings are.

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 10:27:58 PM »
  Thanks guys for the info it s very informative and thanks matt i will take you up on that offer for sure i would like to try one out before i make the choice on a new gun. The one i have now like i said is a JBL double band but the downfall is that i found it at north fisk and it is in rough shape but it works and has been a great weapon since ive had it.

Jason Holliday
Jason Holliday

Abdvrob

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2009, 06:51:51 AM »
  Thanks guys for the info it s very informative and thanks matt i will take you up on that offer for sure i would like to try one out before i make the choice on a new gun. The one i have now like i said is a JBL double band but the downfall is that i found it at north fisk and it is in rough shape but it works and has been a great weapon since ive had it.

Jason Holliday

If it aint broke, dont fix it. Do a little maintenance on it, and change the bands and keep the thing and use it. I have a gun I've been using since I was 13. Im 33 now and it still shoots good.

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 08:16:17 AM »
 you have great point and it does need new bands I may do a little maintnance first before i make my choice thanks
Jason Holliday

Calif_Diver

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 09:29:18 PM »
Hey Matt what size mares do you shoot?and have you landed those big lings with it ? the flashlight on the gun for hole hunting sounds like a good idea.  I shot a 19lb ling with a 38 special once and i thought it was gonna tear me a new one and im concerned the little  pneumatic i got  would be a little small for some bigger lings.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 10:37:15 PM »
I use the small sub mnose shortie, pnumatic the real small one about 12 to 14 inches long, and it has taken some big ling over the years.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009, 09:53:28 PM »
Just my opinion, but banded, wood for sure and as short as you can get with three bands on it. You don't have to use all the bands and it is nice when a band breaks and you still have plenty of power with the two remaining bands. What's so great about the wood guns is that they float straight above you when fired and released. This helps to keep the string nice and straight while you stringer up the fish! Can't beat them, in my humble opinion.
Mike Rogers
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 06:38:28 AM »
 Thanks mike I havent tried the wood guns yet. Do you have to make your own or can you buy good ones? Ive seen them for sale but I passed because i wasnt sure if they would hold up or how tough they where.
Jason Holliday

Abdvrob

« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 07:25:21 AM »
You can get a good wood gun anywhere. Check out these at LP:

http://www.leisurepro.com/Cat/Context_965/Spearguns/967.html

There are other places you can look as well. Hope this helps.

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 05:07:09 PM »
 Thanks bro i will do that i like the idea of my gun floating instead of being an anchor. Not literaly but you know what i mean ;)
Jason Holliday

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2009, 10:12:12 PM »
I have had a couple of pnumatics over the years. When I was younger I did not take as good of care of stuff but both had problems with the seals and froze up after a while. 

I bought a 38 Special AB Biller and it shoots straight. It is not the best gun out there but it worked well as a first gun for me and my kids. 
Myrel C. Willeford

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt