collapse

Author Topic: Between Doran and Dillon???  (Read 2261 times)

Offline norcalocal

Re: Between Doran and Dillon???
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2010, 06:04:31 PM »
Because I go visit my brother there often, and it's very easily accessible once I'm already there.  I'm not saying that there's no fish there, there are...but they're hard to see, hard to get to, and they're hunted by the other big predator.

chadwtts

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2010, 07:28:35 PM »
Bodega rock has some big abs and that is going to be off limits soon and there is always Jingle Bells(the reef just alittle south).

Offline sydwayz04

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2010, 08:31:38 PM »
i will stick to going farther north, i know there are plenty of big abs up there and a little less sharkey !
one breath at a time....

Offline norcalocal

« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2011, 11:37:46 PM »
If it is so bad then norcalocal why do you dive there on a regulary bases ?

Why do I dive there?  I have a free place to stay and access to a boat located at Lawson's Landing.  My intent to persuade people against diving the area is to because it's likely to have a meeting with the tax man, and the vis is always bad.  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 11:16:44 AM by norcalocal »

scotty_rez

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2011, 05:42:23 PM »
I dove the esteros last year via boat (after salmon season) and I'd say it's okay. A LOT of sea grass soup though the further out you go. Saw a bunch of sub legal lings there but only ended up shooting a few blacks. Once the water cleans up it'd be nice to get out there again. If salmon season pops off like it did last year there will be a lot of boat traffic out there so if you're getting in BE CAREFUL!

Here's a short video of one of the dives off a high point at about 30'. Only the first two and a half minutes are worth watching:

Offline todd

« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2011, 10:05:03 AM »
tomales has way more abs than people tend to think, just look at the dfg estimates, 2009 had 2360 abs taken, thats more than shelter cove and other hot spots in sonoma, so every year 2000abs are taken, seems like a hot spot and not just locals only....
Todd Stagnaro

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2011, 01:51:12 PM »
Well a few post back someone asked if anyone has ever seen a GWS. Well yep, 2 of them, both at Tomales. One while I was in the water and the second was from my boat while salmon fishing right in front of Bird of Rock. Although I was not with my dive buddy's last year at the same day of the NCUH Bag Ab cook off, my dive friends encounter a 17 foot GWS at Bird. Two of friends my where in the water and one of friends was a former GWS victim whom was attacked at Bird. Had I not been at the Big Ab Cook off I would of been with my friends and most likely in the water when the 17 GWS cursed in.

Yes there is on average 2K landings of Abs at Tomales but it is not a hot spot. Anybody that gathers abalone or spearfish's there needs to realize the potential for GWS encounters is EXTREMELY high!!! And most veterans of Tomales practice: get in get out quick or the do what I call the Tomales forage shuffle. Get in quick, get out quick in 5 feet of water or less, thus keeping little water under one's self. Most of the 2K landings of abalone at Tomales I "speculate" (avoiding saying I know) are landed by those whom I suspect don't have slightest inclination of the real dangers Tomales poses for GWS encounter and or attacks. How did my in water encounter with the GWS go if you ask?  Reflecting back, I am glad the vis was only 3 feet, for if I saw the GWS in it's entirety............know this: if the GWS wanted me, he would of already had taken me before I saw him.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 03:26:28 PM by Red Abalone Diving »

blowdega

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2011, 10:51:21 PM »
I personally think that the "Red Triangle" is getting larger in size.  A great resource for bona fide white shark sightings is the pacific coast shark news.

http://www.sharkresearchcommittee.com/pacific_coast_shark_news.htm

From Doran to Dillon I would think is as sharky as any of the dive spots on the North Coast, but not any more so.  I have been boating extensively in that area from Dillon to Doran as an employee of the parks and as being the place where fishermen "hide out" from the nastiest of swell and wind.  I have dove near Pinnacle rock (golf course) in close and by some of the wash rocks.  Vis is usually poor, but there are nice fish.  Some of the divers that launch from Doran have shot nice fish in there... There are 15 or so very kelpy patches in there.  There are lots of shorty lings in there too. 

Here are the sharkiest spots as reported by surfers.

#1 Salmon Creek Beach (sheriff helo Henry 1 has spotted GWS several times from the air in close on the beach)
#2 Dillon, and Tomales point, bar, and Bird Rock
#3 Bodega Head, which includes Horshoe Cove (permit only), Bodega Marine Lab, Mussel Point
#4 Russian River Mouth

All these spots are major pinneped haul outs.  Makes sense that they are sharky.  I can see that the entire coast is pretty sharky.  Doran and Stillwater Cove both had high profile shark sightings/encounters last year.

Bottom line is you are in the food chain in the ocean!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt