collapse

Author Topic: Between Doran and Dillon???  (Read 2260 times)

Glaucus

Between Doran and Dillon???
« on: October 03, 2009, 09:13:20 PM »
Anyone ever dive between Doran Beach and Dillon Beach?  I know it gets almost zero attention from divers, but I'm thinking this could be a good thing.  I have access to the area between the Golf Course and the estero about 1 mile south (of the g.c.).  Actually, the access would be to the beach where the estero hits Bodega Bay.  Anyone down to check it out someday with me?  Anyone have any other thoughts on diving Bodega Bay? 

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Between Doran and Dillon???
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 07:52:25 AM »
I have heard of some decent diving down there but becareful the land lord hangs out down there.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 09:26:43 AM »
Bodega bay is mostly filled in with sedament only places that are deep are where they dredge channels.  It looks good at high tide but wait for a minus tide and you will see that there is not all that deep water.

There is a lot of boat traffic in the channels not too good for diving.  The flats are shallow and covered with eal grass.  I did a night dive there once all was good until I touched the eal grass which looked like it was covered with dust.  As soon as I touched it the sedement was released into the water and the viz went from about 7' to 0 instantly. 
Myrel C. Willeford

NorCalDvr

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 01:33:03 PM »
From what Ive heard there isn't much to see between the two beaches alot of sand and sediment. Never dove that area but I wanted to and another diver told me not to waste my time. who knows? maybe there is a 50 pound halibut swiming around out there.

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 08:04:57 PM »
Good luck dudes, harbor diving sucks, except for around the piling's and that's only in good clear water. I believe this thread is talking about the open ocean between Bodega Bay and Dillon Beach which is inside of Tomales Bay. I would love to check it out, but make no if, ands or buts about it, it's the Landlords home turf! I would feel perfectly safe on scuba and shooting film, but freediving or spearfishing? I'm out!
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

echinoderminator

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 08:35:19 AM »
I have dove the area several times - primarily for abs and monkeyfaced eels but also for jasper, jade and whatever else I could find. It is like a little lost coast, especially the area between Estero de San Antonio and Estero de Americano. Those two bodies of water stop beachgoers, potential fishermen/divers from accessing the area in between them. Of course if you are a diver you can just swim across. One nice way to access the area in between those two esteros is by kayak, taking one of the esteros from estero rd. It is a couple of miles of paddling to the beach. Beautiful camp spot. Great poke pole fishing for pricklebacks and there are plenty of nice sized abs too. I have been told there are big halibut there.

Offline sydwayz04

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 08:33:12 PM »
dam my secrete spot is out of the box now,.... i grew up on the estero, fishing it, hunting ducks and so on, i have 200 acres private acces to it were i lunch my flat bottom boat from and go were ever i want,  i have always wanted to dive the beach and rocks to the north of the river opening and i am sure it could be great due to it is a 12 mile paddle from the closet place to get a yack in at and i have only heard of a few people talking about it to. maybe we will half to try it this year on a nice calm day
one breath at a time....

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 11:22:55 PM »
I am there dusty when we going does this get affected by the mlpa ?

Offline sydwayz04

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2010, 01:10:49 PM »
matt no the mlpa does not effect were i want to dive it does affect the estero river but the red ends right at the mouth of the opening into the ocean, sounds like a plan just let me know when you want to head out there
one breath at a time....

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 02:55:19 PM »
when ever the water is nice and have a shot at some good diving, all I need is 45min notice.

Offline sydwayz04

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 03:49:29 PM »
lol shit 45 min from your house and we can be in the water... but yea when it is nice and calm we will half to shoot out there and see what it looks like..
one breath at a time....

Glaucus

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 04:30:42 PM »
I can get us access to the beach at the mouth of the estero (estero americano).  Right by the abalone farm, if you know where that is.  Sounds like this would be the spot to launch a kayak.  You can't drive to the beach anymore, the road is in bad shape, but it isn't too far of a walk (for a NCUH'er that is).  I've been itching to dive this spot.  I'm all about trying out new spots.  Thanks for resurecting my old thread!

Offline sydwayz04

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 08:22:43 PM »
just lookng through some of the old ones, guess i never saw it befor, lol... i know exactly were you are talking about, i was out there towards the end of duck season and someone opened up the sand bar so i was wondering if you could get a zodiac out of there, if the surf was down i dont think there would be any problem but the sand bar could close up any time now, yack would be the way to go if i had 1, i might half to look into getting one this year, i have talked to some old timers from around there, heard tons of sand, not to much kelp and not to many abs let alone none to big, heard to the north side is shallow and murky most of the time, have only talked to 1 pearson who has tryed to spear fish out there and had no luck, i am sure there are some but i think my time would be better spent farther up north for abs and fish, pluse i would rather not swim in the land lords house, bad enough i already am in his territory but i do not need to be knocking on his door
one breath at a time....

Offline norcalocal

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 05:38:12 PM »
My brothers lives at Lawson's Landing, so I dive there regularly.  I wouldn't recommend it if you're willing to go dive somewhere more north.  On average the visibility is around 5-7'.  If the bar is breaking, you're not getting out of the bay, and there's not much but clams in the bay.  The tax man DOES live here.  There have been many attacks in this area, especially on the other side of Tomales Point around Bird rock, and you can't see him coming.  If you're smart you'd avoid this area, but if you're looking for some small thick abs, they can be found between Dillon beach & Stimple creek.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 05:39:55 PM »
If it is so bad then norcalocal why do you dive there on a regulary bases ?

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt