collapse

Author Topic: 9th annual Randy Fry Big X Memorial Freedive Tourney and Iron Diver Chef Comp!  (Read 12076 times)

Offline craighobbist02

Boy This is going to be good !!!!
" I don't want to join any club that would concider having me as a member"

Offline NoyoJim

I just heard from Randy Fry's son, Randall Fry Jr., and he wants to meet us all at the Memorial Big X. He's planning on attending this year's tourney and Iron Chef Seafood Challenge.

I've never met Randy Jr., but his Dad and I were great friends - this should be cool. I hope everyone will welcome him with open arms.

Offline NoyoJim

Hope you guys are hungry. Just scored 100# of whole albacore for the feed Sat. Night.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
nice !!  this is gonna be awesome. So who all from NCUH will be there ?
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
I would like to be there it was a blast last year but I again will not know for sure till the last minute. 
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
Oh man this is looking to be a great event. Last year was awesome. I'm really bummed I can't make it this year, and this is my 3rd dive event this year that I'm missing. Hopefully next year the stars will be in better alignment. The shirt is Awesome. Is there a way to just order a shirt?

Offline NoyoJim

Amadeo Bachar donated this fantastic framed art: giclee on canvas
This gives you the NorCal feel-

Offline NoyoJim

Also want to thank Clif Zimmerman for his donation of two nights lodging at The Beach House Inn in Fort Bragg.

http://www.beachinn.com/

Offline JWR

• If it walks, crawls, swims or flies it's dinner.
NovatoDave and I will be rolling in Friday afternoon with the Jayco.  He may be laid up so I might need a dive buddy. 
"A man is about as happy as he makes his mind up to be." - A. Lincoln

emcbride

Are there still openings for the cook off?

Offline NoyoJim

Are there still openings for the cook off?

Yes indeed - email me (flatland at mcn.org) if you have any questions -

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
THE RULES!
Randy Fry Big X Tourney
Pacific Star Winery in Mendocino County, CA

We will be enjoying an area that is private access, so please respect the private property owners. We have camping privileges from Thursday thru Sunday. The winery tasting room is open from 10 am until 5pm daily. If you're driving up Thursday or Friday morning, plan on arriving after 9am. Check in starts at 7am Saturday.

NO DOGS. Small children not recommended (dangerous cliffs).

No fires in the camping area – there will be a large group campfire Friday and Saturday.

Randy's Big X Freedive Competition Rules:
Open to everyone. (Competitors under 18 must have signature on waiver by guardian.)
All divers must register with a buddy. This is a individual competition, not a team event, but you need to check in with another diver buddy who watches out for you.
Only shore-based, breath-hold diving is allowed in this tourney. No motorized vessels allowed.
Tournament check-in starts at 7:00 AM. Shotgun start.
All contestants must check-in at Pacific Star Winery. Scramble meet: dive anywhere in Mendocino County.
All competitors must check-out at the Tournament Weigh-in by 1 PM.

Measurement/Weight:
Use caliper for measuring abalone to closest hundredth of an inch. Abalone measured by length.
Use scale for weighing fish to closest tenth of pound. Decision of the Weighmaster is Final.

Scoring – Individual Points:
One point per fish plus one point per pound. (No more than 20 points per fish). Best aggregate score wins. Up to twenty fish can be submitted by one individual, but no more than four fish of the same species. DF&G minimum size requirements. The caudal fins of fish being measured shall be swept back to enhance their lengths. No sharks, skates, rays or prohibited (by DFG) species. Note: no minimum 14" size limit, for species that have no DFG size limit. This is the main deviation from regular CENCL rules.

Etiquette & Safety:
The Randy Fry Big X Tourney promotes friendly competition and cooperation. Individuals competing in kayaks should yield to shore-based divers in the water & be ready to assist divers in trouble. Always yield to the least mobile participants. Dive with a buddy. Safety is first, competition second.

Divisions/Awards:
All contestants may enter Abalone, Finfish or both.
Each Division has a Male and Female Category. 1st and 2nd Place Award Plaques commemorating Randy’s Big Ten (Big X) will be given to individual divers for the following (Men's & Women's) divisions:
Speargun Division
Abalone Division
Pole Spear
Junior (under 18) Abalone
Junior (under 18) Speargun
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline Mike K

Last year I saw couple of "you rent it we park it" type of RVs on the winery camp site.
How was it? any feedback?

I will be there with my son and parents this year, and I am tired with tent...

Offline NoyoJim

Last year I saw couple of "you rent it we park it" type of RVs on the winery camp site.
How was it? any feedback?

I will be there with my son and parents this year, and I am tired with tent...

http://www.coastvacationtrailers.com/

call asap

Offline NoyoJim

RFA thanks the Noyo Fishing Center, located on N. Harbor Drive in Fort Bragg, for their generous support:

sweet action Ugly Stick salmon fishing rod
3 Dexter fillet knives
Handcrafted DelMundo abalone jewelry
Calcutta Cooler Pack and Neoprene Beer Coozies
Sunglasses (2)

...and more surprises

Thanks to John Gebers, owner of the Noyo Fishing Center. John's an excellent abalone diver and has everything you need for hook-and-line fishing, local info, bait, tackle, rods and reels. He rents kayaks, too.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt