collapse

Author Topic: Awahi Sakani (Sweet Cooked Abalone)  (Read 567 times)

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
Awahi Sakani (Sweet Cooked Abalone)
« on: July 24, 2012, 10:27:07 AM »
Found this in an older cookbook.  Ain't tried it yet, but I know many here look for new ways.  Modify for fresh ab.

To make 6 zensai (hors d'oeuvre)

A 15 oz. can Abalone, packed in water
3/4 c. Cold water
3 tbs. sake (rice wine)
2 tbs. sugar
1 tbs. Japanese all purpose soy sauce

Empty the can of Abalone into a 1 quart saucepan and add the water.  Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer uncovered 10 minutes.  Add the sake and sugar and cook another 5 minutes, then stir in the soy sauce and cook 2 to 3 minutes longer. Cool to room temperature, then cut the Abalone slices 1/2 inch thick and serve as an hors d'oeuvre or first course.

The pic shows the ab cut top-to-bottom, a la the "mushroom cut", not as the traditional cross cut circular steak.

Let me know if you try it.
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt