collapse

Author Topic: Delicious but tough...  (Read 1096 times)

Offline wluden

Delicious but tough...
« on: July 05, 2012, 03:19:14 PM »
Thanks to Rob I was able to bring home my first abalone for my family.  So far, I have only tried breading and frying the abs, but I have had mixed results.  Some of my pieces are turning out more tough than others.  Is this usually from overcooking or not pounding out the steaks enough?  The flavor is great either way, but my wife is big on texture and she was not crazy about the tougher stuff.  If any one has some tips on basic frying techniques please spread on the knowledge. 

Cheers!  :occasion14:

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

Re: Delicious but tough...
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 03:33:13 PM »
 I would say not pounded enough... Here ie what I would suggest....

1) Get a good pounder. There are tons of choices. I use the mallot with a flat and a serated/tenderizing side.
2) Make sure and pound it out until its getting close to falling apart.. dont over due it here or it will fall apart.
3) bread it and fry it just long enough for the breading to turn slightly golden...

Some people also pound the whole ab in a bag or burlap sack which works too. Dont be scared to beat the hell out of it either cause the tough stuff is no good IMO.... Best of luck  :occasion14:
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 06:31:14 PM »
I usualy drape the beaten ab over two fingers. when it lays limp( try with it unbeaten first youll see what i mean) over my fingers i beat the outer edges a little more. You can also try trimming a little more of the skirt off, but you lose alot of edible meet that way. The whole ab in a towel or old pant leg on concrete works pretty well but you still have to beat the edges. Over cooking will make it tuff, i use high heat for a little time. not sure the temp but i use 5 on my stove dial that goes to 6 for about 15 seconds.
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 08:03:23 PM »
When you come back in August I'll show you how to clean and prep the ab, and cook it.

You probably didn't pound it enough.  Do you have any left?

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 11:24:30 PM »
It is important to give your meat a thorough pounding. 

MN

Offline wluden

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2012, 09:24:54 AM »
Thanks guys.  All good advice, especially from Mike  :laughing7:  I still have 2 abs left to experiment with, so hopefully I'll get it right this time.  I can't wait to get back out there...July is torture!

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2012, 11:04:12 AM »
you could also be cooking it too long. Get your oil super hot, and cook for only 20-30 seconds per side.

Offline mot

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2012, 06:53:47 PM »
Quit taking the tens they are tough anyway.  :laughing7: what they said. I also like to use the spike side of the tenderizer at the end of pounding. it makes the egg stick good.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt