collapse

Author Topic: Camouflage vs standard wetsuit  (Read 10192 times)

AbDiver831

Camouflage vs standard wetsuit
« on: May 04, 2012, 03:29:43 PM »
Hey everyone,

I am looking at buying a new wetsuit, and am looking for input from fellow free divers. A few particulars, what is your preference between Camo and standard wet suits? Yamamoto vs standard neoprene as far a comfort goes? Best quality? What mil preference do you prefer for Nor Cal water temps? Any input is greatly appreciated! Thanks

Offline .

Re: Camouflage vs standard wetsuit
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 05:56:59 PM »
Camo... Just look at Big Jim:
Before a camoflauge freedive suit... kelpies
After a camoflauge freedive suit... 20+ pound ling.

:toothy9:

I would definitely go with a yamamoto neoprene, freedive suit.

Camo vs black is a debated topic, and probably doesn't make too much of a difference with most camo patterns (I would theorize that a good mix of dark and light mottling would have some positive effect, but I don't have any evidence to back that up). Since most readily available suits come with camo, you might as well.

You'll definitely want to get a 7mm suit. With a 5mm, I could spend about 5-6 in high 40 to low 50 degree water on the North Coast, but with a 7mm I can dive all day. You'll especially want a 7mm if you dive in the winter, dive at 45-60 feet for vermillion (hit a lot of thermoclines, long surface intervals, and minimal movement), or plan on using your suit a long time (neoprene compresses over time).

As for which suit to get, it all depends on your body type and what suit fits best. I highly recommend going to the Freedive Shop in Sacramento and trying some suits on before pulling the trigger.

Personally, I use a 7mm Yazbeck Snyper (open cell, no termic lining), and  I used to use a 5mm Omer 3D (until it got too compressed). Both are good suits in terms of flexibility and warmth.

You won't regret buying one. The added warmth and flexibility will dramatically improve your diving.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 09:57:37 PM »
I think fish see movement whether it's camo or not.  I have shot plenty of fish in a black suit and they never swam away as I stalked them.  The most important thing is fit. 

Yamamoto is standard neoprene.  Almost all wetsuits are made of Yamamoto Neoprene, usually 38, 39 or 40.  Scuba suits are more durable and probably made from 39.  Freedive suits are less durable but more elastic and are probably made of 40.  The only wetsuit that I know of that doesn't list Marmot neoprene is Om er.  I don't know if they omitted it or if they have a proprietary blend. 

All wetsuits are closed cell, they may be referred to as open cell but they are not.  Open cell neoprene is a sponge or fabric and is not waterproof.  I think people started calling them open cell because they originally had no internal lining and the un-coated/unfinished neoprene went against the skin.

Many freedive suits are unlined and stick to the skin, some have a lining which allows the suit to slip on better and helps to keep it from smelling like urine and adds to the price.

I think that the most common thickness up here is 7mm. 

I used to wear a thicker 9 8 7 scuba suit.  Now I wear the Yazbeck snyper 7mm with lining.  The scuba suit was warmer and more durable but not as flexible.

Check out the Freedive Shop.  Try on the suits until you find the one that fits you best.  A $200 suit that fits well is better than a $500 suit that doesn't.  They will rent you a freedive suit if you want to try before you buy.

Good luck

Rob

AbDiver831

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 10:42:50 PM »
Thanks guys! I need to go try a few on and see what I like.. I currently have a black 3 mil aqua lung and wear a 5 mil hood vest underneath. It keeps my core warm and gives me decent flexibility, but after a couple hours in the water my arms and legs get pretty cold.. One of my biggest concerns is that a thicker 7mil suit would be more restrictive.

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 09:48:21 AM »
For freediving I use an Omer 3D 5mm top with a 7mm farmer john - freaking amazing suit!  I dive warm so the 5mil top isn't a problem. The Freedive Shop in Sacramento is the place to go to see the best selection.  For scuba I use a custom 7 on 7mm farmer john with a drysuit neck and 12 mm hood from Otter Bay Wetsuits in Monterey - keeps me very warm at depth.  When using the suits for freediving I notice a big difference in how the fish react.  I can get a lot closer in the 3D and it's like wearing a second skin compared to my scuba suit which is very restrictive but will last years longer.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 09:51:20 AM by Duckfoot »
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

scotty_rez

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2012, 02:32:51 PM »
I dive a 5mm Yazbeck Kelp Stalker. It's made out of 39 grade yamamoto and is ridiculously comfortable and surprisingly durable. Before the Yazbeck I dove a 7/7 farmer john scuba suit. Now I'm way warmer and flexible. Not to mention I can wear less weight. The waterproof seams around the face ankles and wrist help a lot IMO. As stated by others it would be in your best interest to visit the Freedive shop. They have the best selection of styles and sizes.

As far as camouflage goes...I don't think it really matters. Guys have been killing fish for decades with black suits. Any advantage you can give yourself doesn't hurt though right? Daryl Wong dives a black Yazbeck suit and we've seen the quality fish he takes. I bought a camo suit because i though it looked cool. Spooky fish will always be spooky no matter how good your camo is.

Scott

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2012, 11:02:27 PM »
To AbDiver831 -- I should probably explain a bit more, and will, but first, especially in NorCal conditions with a normal surge and less than 10 foot viz, I totally agree with Scott - spooky fish are spooky fish - period. It doesn't matter what the suit looks like as long as you're comfortable.  But from my experience, if the conditions are excellent and I'm on a "good day" (meaning I'm totally relaxed with a 3 minute bottom time instead of my usual 45 seconds or less, and the lack of surge with proper weights for depth allows me to stay perfectly stationary with excellent viz) I'll hang out and let the fish come to me.  When I've been freediving with either of my suits on one of my "good days" I notice a big difference in how the fish react.  They come a good deal closer when I'm wearing the Omer 3D.  But where I REALLY see the difference (not that this should matter to a "spearo" since you can't spearfish in freshwater) is here:  A number of years ago I moved away from the coast and now live in the mountains.  I've found that it's really difficult for me to just jump in the ocean and feel at home the way I used to. So to stay in dive shape for my (far too few) mental health pilgrimages to the NorCal coast, I practice in high altitude lakes where there are a lot of trout and large mouth bass.  Maybe it's because I don't have a trigger to pull that I've had the chance to notice this, but if I sit on the bottom of a lake, motionless, the fish come up to me and completely surround me!  When I wear my scuba suit while freediving (not all black) the fish stay a good four or five feet away.  When I wear the Omer they'll get close as maybe two or two and a half feet away.  Last year I had a couple of those good days where I had three minute (and motionless) bottom times where while sitting off a lake bank in about 25 feet of water I counted twenty large mouth bass completely surrounding me!  They were all at the same depth forming an evenly spaced almost perfect circle.  Thankfully they weren't smiling - or piranha, or even worse, smiling piranha.  ----  Regarding Yamamoto neoprene -- A number of years ago I considered going into the wetsuit manufacturing biz.  I got a load of Yamamoto samples and I have to tell you - this is one of those situations where it's all about you - Each one of the samples I received had it's particular advantages and were far better that any of the Rubatex stuff I grew up on. (though I've been told Rubatex has greatly improved -- I have no idea) But the neoprene that I might like may be the wrong one for you. And then there's the way one manufacturer may construct a wetsuit that works great for one person yet sucks for another.  When I was shopping for a freediving suit I was hoping that anything BUT the Omer would work for me.  They aren't cheap.  But the fit was so great I knew I'd be pissed with myself if I didn't fork out the extra bucks.  Besides - as Scott said - camo looks cool, and the Omer 3D, in my eyes, is extra cool.  The other thing about the Omer suits is that they're one of the few manufacturers that sell separates.  You mentioned that you use a 3mm yet it takes awhile before you get cold.  You might consider doing what I did and get two different thicknesses for your particular needs. 
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt