collapse

Author Topic: Viz?  (Read 19423 times)

Offline el_pedorro

Re: Viz?
« Reply #30 on: July 18, 2012, 01:18:08 PM »
Any current news on the vis out there?

I saw this on Spearboard, posted by our very own Matt:

"well I hope viz clears and is better than here in sonoma, cause it is mucky green/red black out over 20ft as of yesterday and the ocean was a lake !!!! If any one has any vis reports from the mendo area please post good luck all this weekend".

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #31 on: July 18, 2012, 01:56:14 PM »
Hey Doug just got off the phone with Blake at sub surface and he reports calm conditions and vis reports from 10-20ft guess where I am headed tomorrow !
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Calif_Diver

« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2012, 02:25:44 PM »
So if i end up  over there just look for the blue beast to find a good dive spot, :laughing7:

Offline ggibson

« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2012, 02:49:39 PM »
So if i end up  over there just look for the blue beast to find a good dive spot, :laughing7:

The battery boxes are they key...

Offline el_pedorro

« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2012, 07:24:33 PM »
...calm conditions and vis reports from 10-20ft guess where I am headed tomorrow !

Try hitting a few spots to clarify vis data, please.

The Albion area should be especially fishy, especially compared to how it'll be shortly after the Aug. 2 USA National Spearfishing Championship.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35 on: July 18, 2012, 10:34:49 PM »
Albion had good vis on the surface but a lot of krill on the bottom.  I saw a whale in close.  It calmed down a bit but it was still surgey.  Not very fishy, just some small Blues.  The guys camping here are headed to Elk tomorrow.

Offline el_pedorro

« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2012, 08:51:39 PM »
Colby Reef just North of Albion had 30ft of vis today, Sunday, Sept. 2.

Offline oldmanfishing

« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2012, 07:37:20 AM »
Point arena had zero vis Sunday took yaks north and was surgie and dark . Couldn't see at 18 ft moved to about 12 got my abs n went home. Sun popped out about noon but that didn't help. Talked to a guy in a zod that went south same report. Should have gone to fort bragg

Offline kuba hemmerling

« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2012, 10:00:26 AM »
went yesterday to salt point and had solid 12 - 15 ft.

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #39 on: September 04, 2012, 08:41:27 AM »
Sounds about right hazy 20
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline Ken Butler

• Was "northshorediver"
    • YouTube
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2012, 06:45:40 PM »
What's it lookin like out there?
Ken Butler

Offline Lokumoto

« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2012, 09:54:59 PM »
The Viz at Russian Gulch was clear as mud. Viz near shore was 2in" and in the middle was about 6".

Offline el_pedorro

« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2012, 06:26:30 PM »
Had a good 10ft of vis just outside of Sonoma's Stillwater today, October 3.

Offline Rowe

• "Not all who wander are lost" - J.R.R. Tolkien
« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2012, 09:41:10 PM »
Vis was maybe 5' this last weekend in Ocean cove, October 5th - 7th.

I met another diver at the campsite and he said it's from the yearly red tide. I guess the bacteria and nutrients from the deep parts of the eastern pacific get pulled up this time of year, and because of the higher temperature they multiply like crazy and kill off a good amount of the life in the water by consuming all the oxygen. DFG was out asking divers about dead abalone sitting around on the bottom. There was an area south of BB last year that was closed early for ab because of the red tide. They were afraid they would die off completely. Not sure how long it will stick around.

On the bright side, the vis makes it easy to sneak up on fish. I was getting within arms length of the rockfish and cod. One of my abs had a really funky smell to it though...not sure if anything will be good eating next time I go out if the water stays the same.
“Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.”
- Helen Keller

“If things seem under control, you're just not going fast enough.”
- Mario Andretti

“Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far they can go.”
- T.S. Eliot

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2012, 11:53:53 AM »
Any viz reports from Sonoma?  I am heading out tomorrow before the storm, Friday, 11-16.

TIA,

MN

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt