collapse

Author Topic: Bueachat?  (Read 464 times)

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Bueachat?
« on: March 26, 2012, 10:09:31 PM »
I just ordered a pair of Beauchat Mundial Carbone Pro Freediving Fins.  Anybody ever use them?  Any thoughts on Beauchat in general?

Thanks

Offline fuzz

Bueachat?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2012, 10:47:41 PM »
I personally really like Beuchat fins.  I use the mundial fibra's for NorCal and the mundial carbone pro's for Hawaii & Mexico.  Both are softer fins, but great propulsion.  Ease into your kicks and don't force it - they're very efficient.  I used to use the plain black plastic blades, but broke them on a local dive... Probably due to sloppy technique & too much pushing off the bottom.

The pockets are really comfortable while maintaining good structural integrity in the sole.  They are also far lighter than the comparable Omer/sporasub/dessault/Picasso pockets.  The downside is that while it's easy to swap out different beuchat blades, the pockets do not readily take other manufacturer blades.  The T-slot is much narrower than the industry standard, making pocket/blades more proprietary and not as versatile as other brands.  This is largely a moot point as you've already ordered carbon... So will never need to upgrade.  But thought I'd mention it in case you ever contemplate getting a spare pair of beater blades as well.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 10:55:21 PM by fuzz »

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Re: Bueachat?
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 08:59:46 AM »
Thanks Fuzz,

Hey, was that you running the slide show at the FDS?  I think next time we need name tags.

Do you use the Fibra's on the N. coast because the Carbone's are fragile or are they too soft for shallow (< 30')  diving around the rocks?  Are the fiberglass fins much better than the plastic? 

Now you have me thinking that I should order a pair of Fibra's just for abalone.  I have the Riffe open heel, but I'm tired of buckles.  I've already glued the rails on or I would swap foot pockets.

Offline fuzz

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2012, 11:44:46 AM »
Thanks Fuzz,

Hey, was that you running the slide show at the FDS?  I think next time we need name tags.

Do you use the Fibra's on the N. coast because the Carbone's are fragile or are they too soft for shallow (< 30')  diving around the rocks?  Are the fiberglass fins much better than the plastic? 

Now you have me thinking that I should order a pair of Fibra's just for abalone.  I have the Riffe open heel, but I'm tired of buckles.  I've already glued the rails on or I would swap foot pockets.

Yup, that was me. :occasion14:
Should've come up and said hi.  :)
Name tags would definitely help... I never know who is who until after the fact...

For under 30', I'd stick with plastic or fiberglass.  Carbons are nice, but around this area, I've never seen the need for them.  Typically only use them in deep/warm waters where doing a lot of diving.  The material is also inherently more fragile and susceptible to damage.

For diving up here, fiberglass is great on a performance/value/durability basis.  Plastic is still a very viable alternative and for most of the diving here, the difference is not tremendously appreciable.  I don't go any faster with the fiberglass fins, but they are a lot more efficient which leads to less oxygen use and less fatigued muscles.  The composites (CF & FG) help in that they rebound well... meaning at the end of every stroke, that stored up energy in a bent fin contributes to starting the next stroke in opposite direction as well as plain thrust.  The more responsive the material, the greater use of that potential energy.  Plastic is a great durable surface, but is rather dead responsive-wise, and you have to work a bit harder for same propulsion, even if it doesn't seem like it.  Where this really shines is diving multiple days - after 5 days in a row of hard diving in Mexico... those carbon fins are worth every darn penny!  For the occasional shore dive up here... the fiberglass or plastics are great.

That being said, I have a couple buddies who dive in nothing but carbon year-round, regardless of their location.  They're happy and have adapted their diving to be a little more careful around the shallows.  I'm a bit haphazard about how my gear gets treated, so it's not for me personally.  Ultimately, it's about your comfort level and whether you feel okay swinging those carbon beauties across rocks.  ;)

Is there a reason you picked the beuchats in particular?

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2012, 05:49:46 PM »
I think I will try the carbons and just be ready to order fiberglass if I start to scratch the carbons up too much.

I have been wanting to get carbons for about a year or two.  The problem is that nobody has a selection of them, so I never bought any.  Omer and Spierre have all been highly recommended and I was leaning toward Omer.  I got a good deal on the Bearchats, so I looked them up.  I can't find much, but what I did find was very positive. 

In the end it came down to supporting the local dive shop, and your recommendation.

Let me correct that.  I had already ordered the fins, but your recommendation eased my mind about my decision.

Thanks Fuzz
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 05:53:25 PM by Rob102 »

Offline underwater1

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 08:23:29 PM »
I used a pair of Beuchat Mundial Competition Fins for two years and loved them.  They are reasonably priced.  I used them to train in the pool almost every day, and used them on all my dives.  This past weekend, I did one strong dolphin kick and the blades on both sides broke about 4 inches from the toes.  I loved the feel of these fins, and I got my money's worth out of them.  I bought a pair of Riffe Silent Hunters to dive the next day, and they are not as stiff as the Competition fins. 
« Last Edit: May 05, 2012, 12:21:46 PM by underwater1 »

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2012, 08:46:34 AM »
I'm home from New Hampshire so I'm headed over this weekend to give them a try.  I have been using the Riffe's so I'm anxious to see the difference in performance. 

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 10:43:43 AM »
I was finally able to use my new fins.  They worked great!  Very light and powerful.  They perform well with a gentle kick with a narrow stroke.  So well in fact that I found myself just cruising.  The second day I started examining my kick.  I realized that I'm swimming the same speed but my kick has narrowed and slowed.   I decided to kick harder, like I do with my Riffe's.  I really got moving fast.  I didn't dive over 25' but I think I got there in about 2.5 or 3 kick cycles.  I am very satisfied.  The less kicking the more bottom time.  I think I could even go with a softer fin but I haven't gone deep with them yet.  This was my first full foot pocket fin.  It's nice gliding through the kelp and not getting caught on the float line.  The fin keepers work great.  My fins feel just as secure as open heel fins.  One drawback, SCRATCHES!  I never worried about scratching plastic fins.  I notice that I am a little more careful with carbons.  No more pushing off the bottom.  I even bought a spiffy new Beauchat fin bag to put them in, and got a great deal on the whole package.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt