collapse

Author Topic: Who to Scuba certify With?  (Read 1371 times)

Offline Mike Rosas

Who to Scuba certify With?
« on: April 18, 2012, 08:53:20 AM »
I've been free diving for many years. It's time to bite the bullet, and get certified for Scuba. I've done a few tank dives not certified, but was always careful, and stayed in less than 30 feet of water. My dad is a retired NAUI dive instructor, so naturally dad says go NAUI. There are also others out there like PADI, SSI,etc... Before I give in to the old man, I wanted to see what you guys think. :help:

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Who to Scuba certify With?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 09:22:12 AM »
Mike call sonoma coast divers in Rohnert park ask for pam or tom tell them I sent you. 707-586-0272 they are an SSI and that is what I have to me they are all the same now days.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

Offline Albondiga

• my Youtube video page
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 08:00:16 PM »
I don't know much about SSI, but NAUI has a solid and complete cert program. You should take your dad's advice.
Also make sure you get Dan Insurance, they cover more than just dive accidents. Cheap travel insurance and a lot of information on diving health, statistics, and the latest research.

Offline Mhathhorn

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 04:33:12 PM »
SSI is a Europe based cert program and is the most recognized worldwide.  The course is basically the same for all the programs but there is value in having the most universal card.

Offline Albondiga

• my Youtube video page
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 08:02:06 AM »
SSI is a Europe based cert program and is the most recognized worldwide.  The course is basically the same for all the programs but there is value in having the most universal card.

I don't get carded too often, but maybe it is my age. Seriously, I don't think any dive charter organization cares what letters are on your cert card as long as you have one, and some green. You are correct that all are basically the same and go over the same information. If you have several to choose from in your area, I would suggest going with the one that offers the most number of training dives. I have heard of some that throw you in a pool once, throw you in the ocean a couple times and call it good.

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 04:40:38 PM »
Sorry this reply is so late, I just read this post, dont come into this section that often. Any way, the debate can roll on for hours about this subject. All the agencies will do similiar things to greater or lesser degrees. the most important thing to decide on is whom and how you go scuba diving with after your certified. Almost all diver deaths on scuba are not during class, but after you are on your own! I did quite a bit of advanced training and I recommend doing this. It develops a good core knowledge of advanced situations and safety proticols. I personnally went to the divemaster level. Not really necessary for individual skills, but I do recommend all new divers go through Rescue class. By the time you're done with all of that, you will be well suited for many diving situations and be quite comfortable in the water as well. Just an old salts two cents. I celebrated 25 years of diving this year! It has been one of the most rewarding things in my life, not just the ocean and its adventures, but meeting the people and fellow sea lovers has been a true gift from God! Be safe out there my friends and make wise, careful decisions.
Mike Rogers
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Abdvrob

Who to Scuba certify With?
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 07:28:28 PM »
Yeah, you are an OLD salt Mike. Haha.

I'm rescue cert. thru PADI. Good outfit. Like the others have said, one is as good as the other. I agree with Mike, at least get to Rescue, it may help you save your own life or someone else's someday.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt