collapse

Author Topic: Looking for some pointers!!!!! HELP....LOL  (Read 1738 times)

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

Looking for some pointers!!!!! HELP....LOL
« on: April 17, 2012, 06:35:07 PM »
 Ok so I have a ton of fresh Salmon and Im going to smoke a bunch of it. My problem is that ive never done this before. I got the basics like temp and basic brine but thats not enough. If anyone would like to share a winning recipe with me Id be indebted to you. Im looking to get away from the basic salt brown sugar and water and add a little extra. Im probably going for around 10lbs. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks fellas!!!
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

Calif_Diver

Re: Looking for some pointers!!!!! HELP....LOL
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 06:38:18 PM »
The only help i can offer is my smoker and to hep you eat it. :laughing7: :laughing7:

Calif_Diver

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 06:44:33 PM »
I have always used the basic recipe(probably the same one you know of) and it is always good, but i usually smoke mine a lot longer then most people do, which makes it drier,sometimes add some cracked peppercorns to the  mix. 

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 07:44:12 PM »
Try this one bro, here it is 2 cups soy sause,2 cups brown sugar 1 cup white zinfandel wine.Put all three togther & heat it up ,just lucwarm, just enough to dissolve sugar.Brine for 24 hours.Place on smoking racks & cover with paper towels to pull off excess brine.Pull off paper towels,Place in smoker,smoke @150 for 4 hours,but only aplly smoke for  1&1/2 to 2 hours.Let fish cool before pulling off the racks,they firm when cooled down.there you are boneapateet.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 07:54:31 PM »
 Sounds like a good one Matt. Ima have to try that.. Looks like saturday we will be diving up north I will bring some for ya which ever way I go. Hopfully you can make it for the dive too if you aint got plans..
Jason Holliday

RedtoBlue

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 07:31:27 AM »
Jason- I use the same recipe as Matt, and discovered sea salt (wet brine) by accident. The thicker the cuts of fish, the longer in the brine. I also wash my fish off after the brine and pat down with paper towels, and let it sit in the fridge until it glazes over. I then sprinkle brown sugar and cracked pepper over the fish (don't wipe off glaze). With 2" strips I smoke for 5-6 hrs. I was also taught to use fruit wood, like apple and cherry for fish. Hickory and mesquite are too over powering and better for venison and beef. I know people who jar it too, and that's what they eat for lunch ALL year long....

The main thing to worry about is over brineing, this can happen easily with a dry brine using rock salt...
I also discovered teriyaki/wasabi is awesome for gamey venison.

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 07:57:12 AM »
So here is my potion and its amazing. figured Idpost it for all you guys to try. Thanks for all the pointers

Brine recipe...
1gallon of water
11/4 cup course sea salt
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
8 cloves of garlic fresh pressed
1/8 cup soy sauce
fresh crushed white pink and black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cheyanne pepper powder
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
and last but not least crushed red pepper for a little kick..

Still on the smoker but looks and smells amazing. I will keep updating til its finished...
Jason Holliday

Offline Mike Rosas

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 09:05:37 AM »

Heres my smoker, I love anything smoked

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 09:20:46 AM »

Heres my smoker, I love anything smoked

:icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Brewcrew80

• http://www.youtube.com/user/80Brewcrew?feature=mhum#g/u
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 09:38:20 AM »
Matt have you ever smoked Ab?

Offline Mike Rosas

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 09:41:13 AM »
It's hard to keep lit, and the papers get soggy quick! :headbang:

Offline NoyoJim

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 10:09:08 AM »
That sounds like a good recipe, Jason. Over the years I have tried a lot of "extra" seasonings (besides salt & sugar) but eventually I decided I just liked it better without all that. Sometimes I'll add some cracked pepper just before smoking for variety.

The biggest thing for me was getting the salt-sugar balance right. I use one part salt, 2 parts sugar. (To each his own taste). Make sure the salt is non-iodized (sea salt, kosher). For an average Little Chief Smoker load, I use 1/2 cup salt, 1 cup sugar. But I prefer it less salty. The longer it sits in the brine, the saltier it gets.

I also usually dry brine it. I make the salt-sugar mix and then dust the fillets (like you were dusting rockfish filets for the fryer) and put them in a ziplock bag and into the fridge overnight. It makes its own brine.

Once it's brined, sometimes I rinse the filets, but usually not, and just lay them skin side down on brown paper grocery bags on the kitchen counter. The brine will have chemically "cooked" the filets and the salt retards bacterial growth. You need to let the filets air dry and develop a glaze. It's usually cool and moist where I live, so I can leave them out 24 hours. In warmer/dryer areas this will take less time. Air dry it at least 2-3 hours to develop that tacky glaze. Seals in the juices and makes a nice finish after smoking.

Load the filets onto the smoker rack, while warming up the smoker. I put the filets in the smoker before the pan full of chips and let them come up to temperature. Maybe an hour.

Wood chips: alder, cherry or hickory. I like hickory 'cause it kinda gives a bacon flavor. MMMM bacon. Cherry or apple gives a sweeter flavor.

When you add the wood chips to the pan and start smoking, the temperature comes up real fast. It's easy to cook the crap out of the salmon if you constantly add chips. This will produce dry, over-cooked fish. I rarely use more than 2-3 pans, and spread it out over the cooking time. 1 pan is really enough for thin filets. Then let the heating element do its work.

When you take the rack out after "smoking" 8-12 hours, let them cool down and don't be too quick to put them in the fridge. (They'll sweat and develop surface mold). I just set them on a couple of plates and leave them out - even for a few days. They'll keep.

This method is so easy... Fish Saturday.  Come home, clean fish, dredge the filets and pop them in the fridge. Sunday morning, take them out, air dry them all day, and rack them in the smoker around dinner time. Add a couple of pans of wood chips, leave them in the smoker all night. Monday morning you've got smoked salmon to take to work.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt