collapse

Author Topic: How to convince someone that ab diving is safe?  (Read 2661 times)

Offline Julian

Re: How to convince someone that ab diving is safe?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2012, 04:58:16 PM »
Not to wax too poetic but IMO you're asking the wrong question. This topic is really about your relationship with you partner NOT your relationship with diving (ie how safe it is, why you do it etc). If diving is a passion for you, it defines a part of who you are. If someone is asking you to change that, then something is WRONG (again in my opinion). I understand her concern for your well-being is an expression of her "love", but it is a SELFISH one on her part. She's asking YOU to give up something you love rather than deal with the POSSIBILITY of losing YOU. Are you going to be a better person if you DON'T dive? Will you stopping somehow strengthen your relationship?

x2

I took up diving a year into my current relationship and even though she was worried (and spent the first two seasons watching my for my entire 3-4 hour dives like a hawk from the cliff) she knew she wasn't talking me out of it.  After a while I got her to go out there with me and pull abs herself.

I don't know how you've gone about arguing this so far, and I don't know her...but you might try reminding her that she's trying to force you to stop a hobby that is interesting, healthy, and one that pays off in heaps of free fresh sustainably harvested seafood that would cost you hundreds of dollars in a market or a restaurant.  I don't know about her but my girlfriend considers it something of a bragging point that her boyfriend is a spearfisher and ab diver.  It'd be one thing if it was "I want you to quit smoking"..."I want you to quit drinking every day"...etc.  This is "I want you to stop this cool healthy hobby of occasionally swimming in a beautiful part of the ocean and pulling delicious seafood and gorgeous shells out of it like a badass."  Tell her she could do a hell of a lot worse than to have a boyfriend who likes to do that. 

If all else fails, try interrupting an argument on the subject without warning by suddenly throwing the nearest glass object violently across the room and into a wall, smashing it and bellowing in a stern voice that "A DIVER CANNOT BE DOMESTICATED."   

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2012, 10:31:25 PM »
"A DIVER CANNOT BE DOMESTICATED."    :headbang:
[/quote]
 :headbang:                :headbang:

Offline jadespearo

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2012, 10:38:23 PM »
"A DIVER CANNOT BE DOMESTICATED."    :headbang:
:headbang:                :headbang:
[/quote]

Now that is a true statement!!!!

Offline jackyd

« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2012, 02:28:52 AM »
I'm guessing a lot of you have already read this, but if not, you must http://www.amazon.com/Shadow-Divers-Adventure-Americans-Everything/dp/0375508589

Some guys discovered a WWII nazi uboat in 230 ft of water of new jersey, and do some of the most badass/ ridiculously dangerous diving that has ever been done.

The point is though, one of the guys wives demanded that he give up diving, his lifelong passion. He white knuckled his way through it for a while for the sake of his children, but you can guess that it didn't work out.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt