collapse

Author Topic: How to convince someone that ab diving is safe?  (Read 2757 times)

Offline phishphood

How to convince someone that ab diving is safe?
« on: April 13, 2012, 10:08:15 AM »
Or at least safe enough?

Long story short, my girlfriend is basically putting her foot down and really trying to stop me from going ab diving (free diving in general too, but if I can ab dive, that's good enough). Seems she's run into enough people that know someone that knows someone who died while ab diving. I'm not in denial, I know people die often enough doing it, but I feel like with precautions it can be safe enough as well. I think a lot of the deaths stem from prior medical conditions? Might be a decent starting point since I'm mid-20's and have nothing going on... Any help is greatly appreciated guys. And bring on the jokes too :) it's a somber enough topic as is.
-Mitch...the perpetual newbie :)

Offline jackyd

Re: How to convince someone that ab diving is safe?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 10:29:46 AM »
A handful of ab divers die every year, and a handful of people die on the roads every SECOND.

Say "fine, I won't dive, but you can't drive or ride in an automobile".

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:44:07 AM »
A handful of ab divers die every year, and a handful of people die on the roads every SECOND.

Say "fine, I won't dive, but you can't drive or ride in an automobile".

well said !!!!!  :laughing4: :laughing7: :laughing4:
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 10:55:08 AM »
 Ok you have hit on a touchy subject here for alot of people. First IMO you should have her watch Eric Andersons video of his wife explaining the life of a divers spouse its a short vid of her explaining how a diving spouse has impacted her life and how great the sport is not only for the diver but for the family aswell. Its on youtube and generaly easy to find. Ab diving is considered an extreme sport and yes its dangerous. Most that die from the sport as you said do have health related issues but there are some who get caught up in difficult surcumstances. Have her do the math... On a good day on the coast there are hundreds of divers in the water and 99.9% of the time everyone who enters also exits the water perfectly safe. Just like birth control  :laughing7: there is a 0.1% chance something bad could come of it. Here is my take on it! You have more chance of having something bad happen on the drive there and home than you do in the water as long as you know what your doing in the water ofcourse. Moral of the story is YES there are risks associated with diving just like driving a car and alot of other things we do on a daily basis. Maybe have her Talk with some other divers spouses to hear their take on it and to gather as much info as she can before jumping to conclusions of the dangers of the sport. Many of us bring our kids diving and even have spouses who join us aswell. Last but not least! Bring her with you a couple times and have her watch you dive! Sometimes seeing is believing and this may ease her worries to some extent. Watching you enter dive and then exit the water a few times perfectly safe could be the ticket. Hope this helps and good luck
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 11:00:57 AM »
I had this same dilemma a few years ago.  As a member of my county Dive Rescue Team I asked my C-O if I could apply to the Mendocino team to cross train since I’m in Mendocino so often any way.  With permission, I contacted the then volunteer captain of the Mendocino team and said basically, “I dive all the time and I hear of all these deaths and I don’t know if it’s something I can avoid or if it’s just a fact of the sport.  My concern is that my respect for the ocean isn’t healthy enough and I may place myself in a dangerous situation due to over confidence.”  I asked for permission to train with the team and observe if possible any events while present.  I never got to witness an event but I did do some rough water rescue training with the jet skis and some meetings at the station and what I can tell you is that 99% of the deaths I’ve witnessed and heard about were preventable.  Most “ab diver” deaths, aren’t divers at all.  They’re the rock pickers that go into rough waters with 40 pounds of lead and no fins.  The actual divers that die almost always die from a pre existing condition.  Heart attacks, diabetes etc.  The exception is the mid 20’s divers that have no pre existing conditions but they go out in rough waters and with any skill level that’s a disaster waiting to happen.  In all of these cases though, they’re almost always wearing their lead when they are recovered.

My suggestion: 
Take a freedive class.  These classes are actually safety classes that give you tools to practice to become a better diver.  The focus is on safe diving habits and practices.

Make good decisions.  There’s no substitute for safety.  My wife always knows where I’ll be diving, who I’ll be with, what time we expect to get out of the water, and that I’ll call when we get out.

Always dive with a buddy and remember that you are there to keep each other safe, he’s not just someone to talk to on the way home.  If you’re diving with a buddy that’s not watching you, you’re diving alone.

Always be willing to call the dive for any reason and only dive with guys that will do the same.

Offline phishphood

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 11:37:06 AM »
Thanks for the thoughts guys.
Jackyd- I tried that approach and she said I can't ride in a car either...didn't get us far in the argument at all.

Jason- thanks for the suggestions. Some good ideas and I'll show her the video. Just for hopes...

Josh- All good thoughts there. I'm not sure if you're hitting the nail on the head for my situation, but all of it still does apply to me. I basically grew up in Monterey and then spent time in SD. Living in San Jose is the farthest I've been from the ocean. So while I know I respect the ocean, I've really been trying hard to not get cocky with it. And get this, my computer somehow temporarily bolded your sentence about the mid 20's guys...I had to reread it 5x to figure out it was my monitor doing weird stuff and you didn't bold it for my sake.
As for the safety and checking in part:
always knows where I’ll be diving, who I’ll be with, what time we expect to get out of the water, and that I’ll call when we get out.
I already do that. Habits from taking off hiking in the mountains. But it's still the worries she has of what could happen. I really didn't know about the divers vs rockpickers part. What the heck are they doing out there in water with no fins...maybe I don't understand rockpicking or something.

But thanks to all you guys for some help and hints. Maybe...just maybe....I'll get to diving again this season.
-Mitch...the perpetual newbie :)

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 11:56:37 AM »
All good advice from the guys above.
If your worried about diving, don't dive.
If somebody else is still worried about your diving after you explained all of the above than its not about diving.
The good news is that you haven't married her yet  :laughing7:

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 12:08:12 PM »
Phish:

Point is, if you're healthy and smart the chances of you getting hurt are very slim.  The statistics worry people but statistics don't take into account that it was almost always the choices that those divers made before they got in the water that got them into trouble in the first place.   

Rock pickers wear allot of lead so they can walk around in waist high water without floating, then they turn their backs to the ocean to feel under ledges and such for abalone.  All it takes is one unexpected wave to wash them off the rock they're standing on and it's all bad after that.  I'm guessing that panic is why they don't dump the lead but that's just an outsiders guess.

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 12:17:11 PM »
Who needs a girl friend when your neighbor has one?

MN

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 12:19:13 PM »
10" abs are harder to find than girlfriends.

Offline Mike Rosas

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 12:27:33 PM »
I respond to these kind of incidents through the local fire department. Yes there are always freak accidents, but as many have said, diver deaths are  most likely attributed to your health, the conditions your diving in, and your experience around the ocean. As an local Sonoma Coast EMT I splinted more broken ankles , and cut wet suits off out of shape divers complaining of chest pain, than diver recovery's.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 12:47:36 PM »
10" abs are harder to find than girlfriends.

That's funny sh!# right there.  I'm gonna be chuckling all day just from Daves last two comments.

Offline underwater1

« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 12:58:55 PM »

My suggestion: 
Take a freedive class.  These classes are actually safety classes that give you tools to practice to become a better diver.  The focus is on safe diving habits and practices.

Always be willing to call the dive for any reason and only dive with guys that will do the same.

Excellent suggestions

Prior to taking PFI's freediving class at the Bamboo Reef, I was doing unsafe breath up techniques without knowing it.  I feel much more safe diving now that I know the signs and symptoms of a near shallow water blackout and now to avoid them.  I recommend this class to everyone. 

I also recommend avoiding overly controlling romantic partners.  They scare me much more that diving on a calm day utilizing safe breath up techniques.   :laughing7:

Cheers,

Tom

Offline Ken Butler

• Was "northshorediver"
    • YouTube
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 02:15:25 PM »
My girlfriend would never make me choose between her and diving...because she knows what my decision would be!  I would miss her but not as much as diving. :laughing7:
Ken Butler

Offline winklecl

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2012, 02:55:15 PM »
Not to wax too poetic but IMO you're asking the wrong question. This topic is really about your relationship with you partner NOT your relationship with diving (ie how safe it is, why you do it etc). If diving is a passion for you, it defines a part of who you are. If someone is asking you to change that, then something is WRONG (again in my opinion). I understand her concern for your well-being is an expression of her "love", but it is a SELFISH one on her part. She's asking YOU to give up something you love rather than deal with the POSSIBILITY of losing YOU. Are you going to be a better person if you DON'T dive? Will you stopping somehow strengthen your relationship? Will you be the same person she knows now or be a miserable old cuss (like me when I can't dive  :laughing7:)? Think about answers to those questions before you decide your course of action.

And likewise, YOU trying to convince HER diving is safe is also very unlike to work. Again, it's about tyring to change someone and the perils therein. Disagreement is a part of life and you either live with it or you don't. Believe me, I've gone ten rounds on this one with my wife and we've got kids which makes it even more difficult. It doesn't get easier. But life is a risk and you have to pick your battles.

I'm not adivising you either way (just giving you a little ammo, because you're going to fight about it more, BELIEVE ME), just giving my perspective and experience.

And Dave's right, 10s are hard to find. But I'd imagine, it's harder still to find women who understand about diving.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt