collapse

Author Topic: Fort Ross Store And NCUH Present Spearfishing and Abalone comp  (Read 8086 times)

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Just thought I would pass along, this is from my buddy Jason and his comp he is working on.

Hello spearos....I just finished talking with the owner of the Fort Ross store and he is excited about the possibility of hosting a freediving tournament. I have a bunch of cool prizes lined up for a raffle. I am trying to get matt in on this and am heading to his house tonight. It would be a one day tournament starting at like 6am and going till like 3...I have been going over the t-shirt things with Amanda and it should be pretty cool...We wanted to do two catagories, fish and ab...We were thinking about a 5 fish stringer,one fish per species, and do a point score on abs to include the weight of the ab...it is still in the works.. The dates right now are looking like May, or August..I want may so we can get this season of spearfishing tournaments started... once again i am looking for feedback... Thank you for your time... Jason Atlantis O'Donnell

post up here and I will make sure Jason gets the questions and comments and will update as things develop.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:15:59 PM by MATT MATTISON »
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Joshua R.

Re: Fort Ross store derby a real possibility
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2012, 09:32:31 AM »
Tell your buddy Jason that August is already a very busy month.  May would be better.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2012, 09:34:38 AM »
All ready have bro,

Offline Flipper

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 01:48:58 PM »
Sounds good Matt,

Let me know more when you hear from Jason. May would be ideal.
The more I learn, the less I know.

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 01:59:43 PM »
+1 and I really like the format Jason suggest, include weight of the ab, plus the fish stringer congregation of species and limited to only five fish...50% of a legal limit. 

Offline underwater1

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 03:57:14 PM »
I like the inclusion of the weight of the Abs in the scoring.  Me like the helmet Abs over the frisbees.  :headbang: :hello2:

Offline Desertdiver

• When I Grow Up still want to be a Diver & Fireman
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 07:13:55 PM »
Like the proposed format.  Will watch for dates.  thanks.

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 07:36:21 PM »
Im interested, keep me informed partner.
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 12:11:59 PM »
OK here is what I have gotten from Jason on this comp,

Fort Ross Store And Norcal Underwaterhunters
Present

Spearfishing and Abalone Tournament
Cash Prizes for 1st and 2ND place in each category
Fort Ross Store
Saturday May 26Th 2012
6am to 3pm

Early registration (before May 1st $40 After May 1st the entry fee is $50

T shirts available to the first 50 people who sign up.
There will also be a raffle afterwards and any one can buy raffle tickets.
All proceeds from the raffle goes directly to the Fort Ross Elementary School for repairs to there library that needs help.
Stay tuned for more info
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 12:15:48 PM by MATT MATTISON »

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
Re: Fort Ross Store And NUCH Present Spearfishing and Abalone comp
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 10:46:33 AM »
ok...so it is official now...the Fort Ross store together with the NORCAL Underwater Hunters are hosting a tournament at the Fort Ross store on Saturday, may 26th. It will start at 6am..with sign up table starting around 5am...it will run from 6am until 3pm..no weigh ins will be accepted after 3pm..the cost is 40.
the cost breakdown goes like this..the first 10 dollars goes strait to 1st and 2nd places split between the fish and the ab divisions..with an 80%/20% for 1st and 2nd places. then we got t shirts ordered..then last is a giant bbq at the fort ross store..the bbq will be ready at the weigh in, your tournament entry gets you into the bbq, non participants will be able to purchase bbq tickets to join in. this is an all ages, all skill levels tournament...it will be a 5 fish limit.. no sharks or stingrays...no two of the same fish..example one lingcod,one cabezone,one black,one blue,one perch..5 fish..get it? now the ab side is going to be done by length, and also weight to come to a joint ab score. really looking for some big abs to show up. I have been spending a lot of time finding donations for the raffle table...the raffle proceeds are going directly to the fort ross elementary school..100% This is about fun and supporting local businesses.The fort Ross store loves divers and always has.it is owned by a family that dives.we always appreciate the business the diving community brings to fort ross.you can sign up at the store or by calling 707-847-3080..

NorCalDvr

Re: Fort Ross Store And NUCH Present Spearfishing and Abalone comp
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 10:58:28 AM »
I think you can count me in. I like the NUCH it's catchier than NCUH LOL.

Mike

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
Re: Fort Ross Store And NCUH Present Spearfishing and Abalone comp
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 07:49:54 AM »
we are gonna set everything up on the side of the store and the back which leaves us the front for cars also the dirt lot across from store..there is also another lot right behind the fence to the left of store and dont worry we will have signs! I wanted to talk about the raffle ..wow..everyone is really being generous...we have anights stay at the fort ross lodge,a nights stay at salt point lodge( which we be re-opening that weekend) dive gear from pinnacles, a scuba cert class from sonoma coast divers,2 cases of wine from martin ray, a fishing pole from kings, day use passes to timber cove boat landing,brand new banks board(35lbs more float) and we have got some surprises we are working on..... we are gonna have some students from the elementery school working the ticket booth.. this is gonna be a ton of fun...i wanted to mention the camping options are timber cove boat landing 1/4 mile n of store..ocean cove campground & store 3 miles n of store... there is also the fort ross lodge, and the timber cove inn.

rules;

the rules go as follows...the tourney starts at 6am may26th and you need to be at the weigh in area before 3pm...only fish taken between these time peroids are eligable for weigh in..you must register at the store before diving ..YOU HAVE TO SHOOT YOUR OWN FISH...no scuba scouting for this tournament..no scuba at all..this is a purely freediving tournament so hold your breath...entry into tourney gets you into both catagories..fish and ab..this is for fun.. this is a real competition where we all agree to enter the ocean and see what it decides to give each one of us..all of us.. all on the same day..a day for us to show the locals what is really out there to be had..this will be fun..this will be done fair..anyone caught breaking the rules will be disqualified...the sign up booth at the store will be open the morning of from 5 am till 10am. anyone wanting to register should call 707-847-3414(from 9-6)or 707-847-3080(after 5)

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 08:01:38 PM »
Hey all just wanted to bring this back up to remind every one about this event. This is the next event on the north coast and is for a great cause, read above post for all the details. I wanted to talk about the raffle ..wow..everyone is really being generous...we have anights stay at the fort ross lodge,a nights stay at salt point lodge( which we be re-opening that weekend) dive gear from pinnacles, a scuba cert class from sonoma coast divers,2 cases of wine from martin ray, a fishing pole from kings, day use passes to timber cove boat landing,brand new banks board(35lbs more float) J&J Spearfishing (Damien) donated a fantastic Cressi mask/snorkel combo. Amadeo Bachar has some prints on the way. MAKO (Dano) will have some goodies being sent out as well. Micheal Dong is making some jewelry for the event. The gal's should like it, Matt Mattison Donated a new low volume mirrored mask and dive socks and ab gauge, Trident dive gear donated several items as well. There's more raffle prizes accumulating. See you guys there!

To recap here are the rules
Present

Cash Prizes for 1st and 2ND place in each category
Fort Ross Store
Saturday May 26Th 2012
6am to 3pm

All proceeds from the raffle goes directly to the Fort Ross Elementary School for repairs to there library that needs help.

It will start at 6am..with sign up table starting around 5am...it will run from 6am until 3pm..no wiegh ins will be accepted after 3pm..the cost is 40.
the cost breakdown goes like this..the first 10 dollars goes strait to 1st n 2nd places split between the fish and tha ab divisions..with an 80%/20% for 1st n 2nd places. then we got tshirts ordered..then last is a giant bbq at the fort ross store..the bbq will be ready at the weigh in, your tournament entry gets you into the bbq, non particpants will be able to purchase bbq tickets to join in. this is an all ages, all skill levels tournament...it will be a 5 fish limit.. no sharks or stingrays...no two of the same fish..example one lingcod,one cabezone,one black,one blue,one perch..5 fish..get it? now the ab side is going to be done by length, and also weight to come to a joint ab score. really looking for some big abs to show up. I have been spending a lot of time finding donations for the raffle table...the raffle proceeds are going directly to the fort ross elementry school..100% This is about fun and supporting local businesses.The fort Ross store loves divers and always has.it is owned by a family that dives.we always appreciate the business the diving community brings to fort ross.you can sign up at the store or by calling 707-847-3080..

tourney starts at 6am may26th and you need to be at the weigh in area before 3pm...only fish taken between these time peroids are eligable for weigh in..you must register at the store before diving ..YOU HAVE TO SHOOT YOUR OWN FISH...no scuba scouting for this tournament..no scuba at all..this is a purely freediving tournament so hold your breath...entry into tourney gets you into both catagories..fish and ab..this is for fun.. this is a real competition where we all agree to enter the ocean and see what it decides to give each one of us..all of us.. all on the same day..a day for us to show the locals what is really out there to be had..this will be fun..this will be done fair..anyone caught breaking the rules will be disqualified...the sign up booth at the store will be open the morning of from 5 am till 10am.

anyone wanting to register should call 707-847-3414(from 9-6)or 707-847-3080(after 5)

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 10:59:08 AM »
Hey all this event is coming up here soon so I wanted to bump this back up. It is gonna be a blast and for a great cause. I am all ready signed up and hope to see you all there.

To recap,

Present

Cash Prizes for 1st and 2nd place in each category
Fort Ross Store
Saturday May 26th 2012
6am to 3pm

we are gonna set everything up on the side of the store and the back which leaves us the front for cars also the dirt lot across from store..there is also another lot right behind the fence to the left of store and dont worry we will have signs! I wanted to talk about the raffle ..wow..everyone is really being generous...we have anights stay at the fort ross lodge,a nights stay at salt point lodge( which we be re-opening that weekend) dive gear from pinnacles, a scuba cert class from sonoma coast divers,2 cases of wine from martin ray, a fishing pole from kings, day use passes to timber cove boat landing,brand new banks board(35lbs more float) and we have got some surprises we are working on..... we are gonna have some students from the elementery school working the ticket booth.. this is gonna be a ton of fun...i wanted to mention the camping options are timber cove boat landing 1/4 mile n of store..ocean cove campground & store 3 miles n of store... there is also the fort ross lodge, and the timber cove inn.

rules;

the rules go as follows...the tourney starts at 6am may26th and you need to be at the weigh in area before 3pm...only fish taken between these time peroids are eligable for weigh in..you must register at the store before diving ..YOU HAVE TO SHOOT YOUR OWN FISH...no scuba scouting for this tournament..no scuba at all..this is a purely freediving tournament so hold your breath...entry into tourney gets you into both catagories..fish and ab..this is for fun.. this is a real competition where we all agree to enter the ocean and see what it decides to give each one of us..all of us.. all on the same day..a day for us to show the locals what is really out there to be had..this will be fun..this will be done fair..anyone caught breaking the rules will be disqualified...the sign up booth at the store will be open the morning of from 5 am till 10am. anyone wanting to register should call 707-847-3414(from 9-6)or 707-847-3080(after 5)

Offline .

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 12:41:08 PM »
What is the fish division scoring criteria? Total agg. weight? 1 point per fish/pound? Species meet?

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt