collapse

Author Topic: Tanks or no tanks  (Read 2158 times)

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
Tanks or no tanks
« on: March 21, 2012, 07:05:32 PM »
Hey guys,
I happen to have a $150 store credit with Dolphin Scuba.  The only thing I can think of that I don't have is an air cylinder.  They have an aluminum 80 for about $170, or I could throw in some more cash and get a hp steel tank with more cf.  Or is owning tanks more hassle than it's worth?  How often and how expensive is it to have them inspected?

Thanks,

Rob

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: Tanks or no tanks
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 07:28:14 PM »
Hey rob, if you get a tank get an hp high pressure. As for the up keep you have a VIP visual inspection every year at 20 dollars and hydro every five. You do know you need to be scuba certified to get them filled.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Calif_Diver

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 07:31:50 PM »
 You do know you need to be scuba certified to get them filled.

That reminded me i dont have a c-card any more,i better check into  getting it replaced.

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 07:38:52 PM »
Hey guys,
I happen to have a $150 store credit with Dolphin Scuba.  The only thing I can think of that I don't have is an air cylinder.  They have an aluminum 80 for about $170, or I could throw in some more cash and get a hp steel tank with more cf.  Or is owning tanks more hassle than it's worth?  How often and how expensive is it to have them inspected?

Thanks,

Rob
One choice only for a tank. Low Pressure chrome molybdenum tanks my friend because not all dive boats and dive stores have compressors that will do 5000 psi working pressures for HP fill's Check the spec's out and see for yourself. And know it's not all about pressure but rather it's about initial volume of the tank, then pressure. V1V2/P1p2 if I remember the equation correctly.

Offline Ken Butler

• Was "northshorediver"
    • YouTube
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 08:12:11 PM »
It is nice to have your own tanks.  I have 4 alu 80s and they work well enough for me.  You may want to watch craigslist.  They have some great deals on tanks.  You could pick up 2 alu 80s for $150.  I know you are trying to use up your gift certificate but you may want to keep it in mind.
Ken Butler

RedtoBlue

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 09:45:58 PM »
Bauer makes a good, portable h.p. compressor. They make them gas powered too, so you can jam tanks at the beach or on a boat. Then you don't have to depend on the local scuba shop for air, cert's. and inspections. It IS expensive, but in the long run you save, especially if you have a partner.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 09:58:08 PM »
I have all but the tanks, including the cert cards.  I returned some faulty gear and had some special order gear that took about 4 months too long.  Dolphin won't refund my $, just gave me store credit.  I can't think of anything else that I want from Dolphin.  Maybe I should get a gift cert and sell it at a discount.  I'll be in Sac Saturday for the opener talk at FDS if anybody wants to work out a deal.

Calif_Diver

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 11:19:06 PM »
Rob , didn't you say something about a Banks Board? Dolphin has them.

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 11:56:32 PM »
Yeah I thought about the Banks Board.  They are sold out right now.  Besides, Banks is coming out with a new model in a week or so.  In fact they should have a new one at the FDS on Saturday.

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 07:00:08 PM »
Ill let you know what the hydro test costs in a few days when I get mine back. If I get them back. They are pre-1988.

Offline phishphood

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 12:20:48 AM »
I think there's a place in Livermore that does hydros for something like 40 per tank. I know there is a dive shop in SJ that does visual inspection for 7. I like having my own tank so I can get it filled when it its convenient and then basically go diving when I feel like it, no need to stop by a shop first.
-Mitch...the perpetual newbie :)

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 09:06:53 AM »
Ill let you know what the hydro test costs in a few days when I get mine back. If I get them back. They are pre-1988.
Yep Dave if you get them back! A lot of Aluminum Tanks from that era have a DOT destroy statute imposed on them............I think it was all about the where the neck and threads are rolled to make the bottle cap of the tank and they are experiencing cracking at and around this area. Bummer if this turns out to be the case. By Steel. Watch how the tanks are made: steel and Aluminum, you decide and what gets me is the aluminum weight more empty that steel tank.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 09:21:43 AM by Red Abalone Diving »

Offline Rob102

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 09:16:59 AM »
Nice video,

Thanks

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2012, 12:02:52 PM »
Three words about Dolphin Scuba in Sacramento:

FATHERS DAY SALE!!!!!!

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2012, 01:22:23 PM »
There you go Rob; throw another 50 bucks to that account you have at Dolphin and get a 77cf or 85cf LOW PRESSURE steel chromemoly tank and you have it covered. Personally I have both, two 77 and two 85 and if I had to do it all over again, all four would be 77's. The difference between 77 and 85 is only .6 liters of air. Initial volume for a 77 is 12.1 liters and 85 is 12.8 liters. The 77 are shorter in height by 3" Not much but it makes a difference when it is needed. Both tanks are slightly negative when empty.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt