collapse

Author Topic: The Oregon Coast (a beginners guide by a beginner)  (Read 3578 times)

Offline winklecl

Re: The Oregon Coast (a beginners guide by a beginner)
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2009, 04:57:38 PM »
Sorry, I should have been more clear! I was talking about the fishing license and I was told it had to be ON you, not on or in a float. I put mine in a couple of zip lock bags and stuffed it in my dive sock. Seemed to stay dry.
Sounds to me like you talked with a hardas*. I've never had this problem. The guys in the field only care that you have it readily accessable upon exiting the water. On board a boat or on the beach. That kind of thing. May be the guy you talked to was having a bad day  :dontknow:

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2009, 08:06:54 PM »
I would have to agree with that, but might want to look it up come the dive day though.
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Offline snaildiver

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 10:39:03 PM »
How's the Geoduck hunting there?  What's the limit?  From what I read, it's mostly found up north in Washington and Oregon. 
I think there's a place down in Cali that has Geoduck but it's much smaller than the ones in up North.  I'd be interested in doing a road trip. 
Alex L.

Calif_Diver

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 07:16:46 AM »
I have seen horseneck clams at Dhillons beach years ago,they look the same as geoduck to me.

chadwtts

« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 05:11:36 PM »
I might be up there the 4 of July week. Is there an ab season? Is it open in July? Wow I might of found a way to dive for abs in July

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 05:15:46 PM »
Chad if I am not mistaken I think you can dive all year round for them ! and on scuba to ! just one a day and 5 for the year ! need permit and lic
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 06:40:35 PM »
yeah but you cant count abs found on scuba in another state in the ten comp, its bad enough your already kickin but.
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

Offline winklecl

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 11:42:18 AM »
Matt's right you can take them all year round. You can get the license pretty much anywhere and it's actually only a shell fish license. You HAVE to go to an oregon fish and game station to pick up the ABALONE TAG. Two different things. There are stations along the coast in Brookings, Charleston and Newport. Brookings will put you closer to the better hunting grounds.
And don't forget the scallops!!! There are lots here!

chadwtts

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 05:49:58 PM »
Just when my wife thought she'd found a place where I wouldn't be gone for 4 hours a day, boy is she going to be disappointed by the end of the Oregon trip. For some reason I told her July would be a good time to leave the state.

Clayton, sounds like you live up there?

Offline winklecl

« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2010, 12:12:58 PM »
Yes I live here. Sadly in the northern part of the state (Portland) pretty far from the abalone action. Still southern oregon is a lot closer than Sonoma/Mendo county! I haven't gotten in the water in southern oregon yet (my wife stands firm on the buddy system as in "hey buddy you're not going unless you have a buddy!"), but I've seen some spots that look promising.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 02:08:40 PM »
Dam you almost sound  :whip2: :whip2: :whip2: Clayton Like nike says just do it !  :laughing7:

chadwtts

« Reply #26 on: June 12, 2010, 05:18:16 AM »
yeah but you cant count abs found on scuba in another state in the ten comp, its bad enough your already kickin but.

Don't worry Brandon, all my abs for the comp will have green tags on them. It still would be awesome to get some abs out of Oregon. I hope California never has to drop down to Oregon's limits, 1 a day and 5 a year can you imagine :bs:. What is the history on abs in Oregon? Were the limits higher in the past? Did they allow commercial ab fishery up there or what?

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #27 on: June 12, 2010, 10:25:24 AM »
FYI they have 2 species of abalone red and I think pinto abalone which only grow to about 5 to 6 inches at the bigest.

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #28 on: June 13, 2010, 01:21:01 PM »
Good question relating to the history of abalone in Oregon and where there more abalone at one time.  I assume you are looking to a justification why the limit seems low as compared to California.  Your answer is: Oregon biologist determined given the stock status and the biological considerations of the species of abalone in the Oregon waters and habitat conditions related; the daily bag and yearly limits were designed to allow harvest and at the same time to ensure that sustainable populations of abalone would continue given all things remained status quo.

Given the previous statement requires an understanding that one must not assume the biological conditions of the California coast and the Oregon coast are one in the same, they are not.  This "Not" condition is the explanation and the justification as to why you see different limits and size limit for abalone along the Oregon coast.  The two areas are completely different bio regions and the populations densities and species of abalone differ because of this. The old apple and orange comparison.

Hope this helps.

Bill         

Offline Brandon Turknett

• RATHERBDIVING
« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2010, 01:39:11 PM »
Don't worry Brandon, all my abs for the comp will have green tags on them. It still would be awesome to get some abs out of Oregon.
 i was just bustin your balls chad, it would be cool to get up there in july and get abs when we cant here. might be a road trip for july :dontknow: :dontknow:
Divers go deeper, and stay down longer

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt