collapse

Author Topic: The Oregon Coast (a beginners guide by a beginner)  (Read 3576 times)

Offline winklecl

The Oregon Coast (a beginners guide by a beginner)
« on: September 09, 2009, 04:26:04 PM »
Ok, ok I know this is the site for NOR CAL underwater hunting but I'm starting this thread by Matt's suggestion. My goal is perhaps a selfish one (interest people in diving closer to where I live) but some might find it educational as well. My disclaimer is that I have not personally done much diving along the Oregon coast and even less hunting but I know that its here and I hope to find some people on this site interesting in exploring it! May be could do a group trip or something. There are charter boats that take hunting groups here.

In large part the species that exist in oregon waters (particularly southern oregon) also exist in nor cal especially those we are interesting in hunting. Rockfish, ling cod, scallops and yes even some abalone all live here. Additionally, oregon seems to produce greater numbers of large dungeness crab in its many (diveable) bays than are found in nor cal. Also, one can often collect other shell fish such as geoduck clams in these bays. These bays also offer a safer diving option for days when venturing out onto the ocean is a bad idea.

One could also argue that the regulations for take and catch are more generous here:
Lingcod- min size 22"-2/day
scallops- 24/day no min size
dungeness crab- 12 males/day 5 3/4"
red rocks- 24/day no size or sex limit
clams- 20/day
squid- no limit

Current bag limit on groundfish is 7/day but that does NOT include any lingcod taken
Abalone daily limit is 1 min size 8" annual limit of 5/year BUT you can get them with SCUBA

And the licensing fees are cheaper here, even for out of staters

annual out of state license $61.5
1 day- $12
2 day- $22.5
3 day- $33
7 day- $43.75
shell fish license $16.5 (can get a 3-day for $9)
and the abalone permits are FREE!

Here is the link to the ODFW fish regs for anyone interested. http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/docs/2009_oregon_sport_fishing_regs.pdf

Anyone got any experience up here shout it out! Hope this was helpful!

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
Re: The Oregon Coast (a beginners guide by a beginner)
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 07:14:24 PM »
Thank you for posting Clayton, Like I have said I will be coming up your way for some diving maybe even drag the boat up. I am sure the membership will find this interesting.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Tim C.

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 07:32:02 PM »
Clayton,
Your border is only 90 miles from me, coastal.  Perhaps we can get some diving in.  I'm only free diving for now.
Tim

Abdvrob

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 08:39:26 PM »
I have in-laws that live in Central Oregon (Bend), and I wouldn't mind making a trip to the coast for some diving with you the next time Im up that way.

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 08:44:29 PM »
Might be interesting to see some new territory, any good camping there on the coast?
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline winklecl

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2009, 10:55:27 AM »
Tim C.- I'm down for any kind of diving. I'm excited to try southern oregon/northnorth cali. If you've got some good spots you like we could try those or just do some exploring.

Rob- Bend isn't too far from Portland where I'm at (~2.5 hrs) and then it's another 1-1.5hrs to the coast. But you can crash at our place if you come to town. Plus to puget sound is only a 3hr drive north but I have to check the seasons for lings because I think they're pretty short.

Stacy-the camping in oregon is great! There are lots of state parks along the coast as well as smaller private outfits. In the summer months things fill up fast but you can reserve spots for all state parks on-line.

To all of you I alwasy up for going diving and trying out new places. If you're ever up here for whatever and want to try give me a call 503-367-4582. BTW flights from Sac to portland are often cheap and I'm more than happy to pick anyone and their gear up and let them crash at my place (expect it to be cozy, its a small house!)

Abdvrob

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2009, 02:34:40 PM »
Sounds good to me Clayton! I'll let you know the next time Im headed up there.  Hmmm...go diving for a day or hang-out with the in-laws... tough choice  :thumbsup:

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 08:44:03 PM »
Sounds good to me Clayton! I'll let you know the next time Im headed up there.  Hmmm...go diving for a day or hang-out with the in-laws... tough choice  :thumbsup:
Now they are officially the "in-laws" hey Rob?
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Offline JASON HOLLIDAY

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 09:03:58 PM »
 Thanks for the info its good to know maybe sometime I will head up that way and do some diving it sounds like a blast...
Jason Holliday
Fishing pole's are over rated..........

slavikf

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2009, 09:13:30 PM »
Where are good dive site in Oregon? any close to Portland? are they for advanced divers? I want to visit friends in Portland in mid-october - is it good time of year to dive?

Offline riobuster

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2009, 04:34:24 PM »
If you go to shorediving.com, they list the popular sites for diving. On our vacation this summer we dove Winchester, Florence and Newport. Newport was by far my favorite as there just seemed to be more options for dives as well as more fish, nice fish cleaning stations. Also, just a 5 minute drive from where we were camping.
Everything in the universe flows. You can't get a hold of water by clutching it. Let your hand relax and only then will you enjoy and experience it.

Offline riobuster

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2009, 05:48:08 PM »
I forgot to mention that Cali divers need to note that you have to have your license ON you while diving. I went to the fish and game dept. in Newport to clarify this and a warden said if i couldn't keep it on me while diving then I shouldn't dive.
Everything in the universe flows. You can't get a hold of water by clutching it. Let your hand relax and only then will you enjoy and experience it.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2009, 03:40:24 PM »
Good to know thanks. I guess the dont miss around up there and I thought it was bad hear.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2009, 10:08:10 PM »
What do you mean, on you? Like goes underwater with you? Or just in the boat or on shore? And what license, Fishing, C-card or drivers license? Please clarify.
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Offline riobuster

« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 04:45:07 PM »
Sorry, I should have been more clear! I was talking about the fishing license and I was told it had to be ON you, not on or in a float. I put mine in a couple of zip lock bags and stuffed it in my dive sock. Seemed to stay dry.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt