collapse

Author Topic: Diving the USS Iowa  (Read 904 times)

Offline Joshua R.

Diving the USS Iowa
« on: December 13, 2011, 08:09:43 AM »
Hey guys,
on Saturday, January 7th I will get the rare opportunity to dive on the USS Iowa.  She has been taken out of the moth ball fleet in Benicia and is being prep'd to make the trip to Los Angeles where she will become part of the Maritime Museum.  I will be inspecting the prop shaft and bow before she makes her journey. 

I thought some of our members may have a history with her and want to share some stories.

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
Re: Diving the USS Iowa
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 11:57:36 AM »
What exactly are you inspecting?

MN

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 12:33:58 PM »
That's all the information I have at this time. 

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 02:05:05 PM »
Be ready for zero visibility. Don't know but I'll guess she draws about 15 ft. of draft or more. Sounds like it could be a keel to stern visual inspection. Mike, Joshua she probably has at least four main surface condenser intakes that are 36 inch diameter or more with bar grates and gods only knows if they have not rust away partially or not. Heads up, very dangerous diving. I take it you are going to be diving with a commercial diving crew.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 02:19:24 PM »
Yes.

Offline Flipper

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 09:08:06 PM »
Josh,
I'll forward the thread to Dad. Maybe he'll have little info for you since he's been out to the mothbal fleet a time or two.

The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline Ken Butler

• Was "northshorediver"
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 11:05:53 PM »
I might be wrong but I thought they moved her to Richmond already.  She was at the fleet for years (pre 9/11)up until recently.  I used to take my boat and anchor up near it fishing for sturgeon. Ever since 9/11 they have a chase boat that harasses all the boaters that get to close.  Bill is right as well as you probably know that the vis in Suisun bay is inches. If it is indeed in Richmond then vis will be a little better maybe a foot or two have. Good luck and be safe.
Ken Butler

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 06:36:42 AM »
She is in Richmond and the conditions are not new to us.  We dive the bay and channels all the time and are Blackwater certified.  We'll be diving Surface Supplied Air with Full Face Masks and drysuits.  Just another day at the office but an unusuall opportunity that might bring up some emotion or interest from our members so  I thought I'd share.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt