collapse

Author Topic: Abs in Arkansas  (Read 992 times)

Offline Robert

• too many minds in the gutter so I changed it
Abs in Arkansas
« on: October 18, 2011, 10:37:02 AM »
Just got back from a fmily reunion in Arkansas. with little exception all the people I met back there are my cousins, lol. a few of them had moved back from cali and had eaten abalone before (like 3) but I was amuzed when no one had a clue what a mollusk was. I brought the meat sliced and pounded from the day before so no one would get leary of it. the biggest problem I had was explaining what it was and then telling them it doesnt taste like anything else they had ever had. " it looks like thin chicken" " yes but it tastes nothing like it, just eat it". the other problem I had was telling them " no, not albacore, abalone". overall had a great time and most people really enjoyed it. took me back to when I didnt know what an abalone was.
it was a goonies reference

Calif_Diver

Re: Abs in Arkansas
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 01:20:26 PM »
I fed a friend of mine Abalone last night ,the first time she has ever saw any Ab,she left telling me it looks like chicken,then after it was cooked said it taste like chicken :icon_scratch: i dont think it taste anything like chicken  .

Offline Robert

• too many minds in the gutter so I changed it
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 09:11:01 AM »
I fed a friend of mine Abalone last night ,the first time she has ever saw any Ab,she left telling me it looks like chicken,then after it was cooked said it taste like chicken :icon_scratch: i dont think it taste anything like chicken  .

saying things taste like chicken is the default explaination for people I guess. it doesnt taste anything like chicken. it doesnt taste like anything else. the closest thing I can liken it to would be a cross between octopus and raw scallop. but even that isnt quite it, besides if you havent had abalone you most likely havnt had octopus and raw scallop.
it was a goonies reference

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 11:45:57 AM »
I tell people that ab tastes like calamari, but less chewy and milder flavored.

Willy!  Did you leave the shells?  My fam back in the midwest love to get the shells...I clean them of course
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

Calif_Diver

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 01:38:45 PM »
I had some octopus sushi for the first time yesterday and it was pretty  good,i always  kinda got the creeps thinking about eating one ,but now if i see one in the water he might just go home with me,i think i read that its legal to take them in nor cal.

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 03:11:28 PM »
I had some octopus sushi for the first time yesterday and it was pretty  good,i always  kinda got the creeps thinking about eating one ,but now if i see one in the water he might just go home with me,i think i read that its legal to take them in nor cal.

Can't take octos on scuba north of Yankee Point in Montery County, if that matters.

See dfg regs 29.05d. Only inverts  can take are Urchins, scallops, and CANCER genus crabs on SCUBA.  I almost took a lobster off breakwater in monterey....but my buddy talked me out of it on those grounds
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt