collapse

Author Topic: Abalone Cakes  (Read 3490 times)

Offline Dirt Snow Water

Abalone Cakes
« on: August 04, 2011, 02:31:15 PM »
Used this crab cake recipe (I deleted 1/4 cup mayo) and used Ab instead.  Came out great.  Served with tartar and cocktail sauce.  Only pan fried 60-90 seconds on each side.  Kept each cake on the small side, about as round as a baseball, but only 1" thick. 

Ingredients
1 pound crabmeat, picked free of shells
1/3 cup crushed crackers (recommended: Ritz)
3 green onions (green and white parts), finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped bell pepper
1 egg
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 lemon, juiced
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon salt
Dash cayenne pepper
Flour, for dusting
1/2 cup peanut oil
Favorite dipping sauce, for serving

Directions
In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients, except for the flour and peanut oil. Shape into patties and dust with flour.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. When oil is hot, carefully place crab cakes, in batches, in pan and fry until browned.  Carefully flip crab cakes and fry on other side until golden brown. Serve warm with preferred sauce.

Offline Kali_Diver

Re: Abalone Cakes
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 11:06:45 PM »
Doin this soon.

Offline Robert

• too many minds in the gutter so I changed it
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 10:30:13 AM »
how was teh abalone? shredded? pounded into mush? chunks?
it was a goonies reference

Trinidad

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 12:54:57 PM »
I’m curious too about how the abalone was prepared prior to being put into the ‘cake’.  A grinder seems like the best method to me but curious how you approached it.

how was teh abalone? shredded? pounded into mush? chunks?

Offline snaildiver

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 02:16:04 PM »
Yum, abalone cakes sounds good and with the right sauce, yum!  I've tried throwing my abs into the grinder.  Parts of the meat were so tough, it clogged my grinder.
Either cut the tough part off or give it a good pounding and put it through a really heavy duty industrial grinder. Got pictures?   
Alex L.

Offline Dirt Snow Water

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 08:17:03 PM »
I ground my ab.  I just cut it into long rectangular chunks that would fit into the feeder of my kitchenmaid mixer w/ meat grinder attachment.  I used the large size grinding plate.  The abs natural 'gumminess' allowed itself to be the binder so it forms into whatever you want quite easily.

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 09:13:51 AM »
what about cleaning the grinder. I have a kitchen aid grinder too but I would assume the stickiness of the ab would make cleaning it a nightmare.

I could just put the ab in a ziplock and pound it untill its mush right? any thoughts on that?

Offline winklecl

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 11:59:18 AM »
Grinding abalone is easy and works great. Cleaning is not a problem. Get to it quick before the remains dry. And if it does dry, soak in HOT water with plenty of soap and it will losen up. I actually bought a cheap meat grinder and it works great. I'm going to try making abalone sausage (since I have the attachments) if I every get back down to get some abs. It also makes killer burgers. VERY RICH though. We did slider size and that was PLENTY.

Offline Dirt Snow Water

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2011, 10:13:12 PM »
what about cleaning the grinder.

i had no issues with cleaning

Trinidad

« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2011, 07:32:14 PM »
This recipe was fantastic  :thumbsup: Very easy & very tasty; served with a side of Katsu sauce.  The abalone did not clog the grinder at all & I did clean immediately.  The family is ready to have this one again   :icon_biggrin: Guess I have to go diving soon  :headbang:  :icon_cheers:

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Robert

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2011, 08:34:40 AM »
well I'm excited to try this one out. I enjoy abalone but its so much work to pound it just right and I always have a few spots that are still chewy which just puts me off. I'll let you guys know how it turns out for me.

Offline Robert

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2011, 10:31:05 PM »
alright guys heres how it happened.
used the big holed face plate on the kitchen aid grinder with the choping attachment added smoked and regualr paprika fresh ground pepper pepper flakes garlic and onion powder with dried onion flakes and ittalian bread crumbs. mixed that all in together let sit for a day in the fridge. make cakes about an inch thick and 3 or a little more inches wide. rolled the cakes in more bread crumbs fried in a little bit of oil on a medium high heat for a minute or so each side. on the plate used some tobasco and cocktail sauce and it got rave reviews. I'm never pounding abalone stakes again. from now on I'm going t otake the very center of the ab and use that for sushi. the rest is getting ground ( I think I'll put it through twice).  thanks for the tip on all this chuck

Offline underwater1

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 02:18:36 PM »
Did this recipie with Dungeness Crabs so I added the mayo back in.  I dusted them with Old Bay Seasoning instead of flour.  My family loved them.  :headbang: :occasion14: :icon_cheers: :laughing7: :toothy9: :hello2:

Offline swaziloo

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2012, 05:53:06 PM »
I've always been a little put-out by all the tough meat (trimming from the side and foot) that really isn't usable.  Sure, you can pound the bejeezus out of it and fry it with enough egg and Ritz that nobody notices they're eating tiny bits of cartilage, but I was hoping this recipe would give me a way to use those otherwise wasted bits.  Problem is that I don't (yet) have a meat grinder.

Enter: the food processor.  I was impressed how well it did mincing my ab scraps into something not unlike ground meat.  I threw in a touch of butter to make it ball up nicely and followed the recipe (mostly - I didn't really measure anything) with great success! 

They were flavorful and moist and lacked that sometimes "ammonia-y" taste that actual crab cakes can get.  The wife said the mustard flavor was strong, but our guests and I liked it just fine.  My only complaint was that they turned out too salty for my taste.  Next time I'll leave out the salt altogether (there's enough in the crackers and Worcestershire sauce methinks.  Thanks for this up!  Sorry it took 9 months for my feedback.  There was a red tide and off season in there to screw things up  :merror:

Next on the list: the meat grinder, more abcakes, and meatballs.
Ken Goudey

Offline Diver Dan

• Dan Romo
    • Studio Romo (My shop: Metal Fabrication, Sculpture restoration, Patina, Cast Bronze, etc)
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 02:26:28 PM »
I think I'll try this recipe. One question. Did you substitute 1/4 cup mayo with only 1/4 cup ground ab, or did you use a whole ab? I'd guess a whole ab would be about 2 cups ground up.
Thanks.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt