collapse

Author Topic: RFA-NorCal Hosts Randy Fry "Big X" at Pacific Star Winery Oct 8  (Read 15363 times)

Offline oldmanfishing

Re: RFA-NorCal Hosts Randy Fry "Big X" at Pacific Star Winery Oct 8
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2011, 07:13:57 AM »
Ccup, anytime... i rented mine from subsurface the first time...than i went and bought one, i take mine all over now. napa river, lakes its cool. Good luck i was stupid and burned all my tags too soon, next year will be different i plan on going to all the events..Just to eat all the food, everybody be safe, Shannon

Offline NoyoJim

And the winners were...
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2011, 11:20:25 AM »
Randy Fry Big X Winners 2011 Pacific Star Winery

Men's Abalone Division: 1st Tim Nikels 10.435"; 2nd Dave Clutts 10.001"
Women's Abalone Division: 1st Christina Schultz: 8.452"
Women's Junior Abalone Division: 1st Jo Willeford: 8.534"
Men's Speargun: 1st Dennis Haussler 32.11 pts; 2nd Owen Mitchell 27.4 pts
Women's Speargun: (no entries)
Men's Junior Spear: 1st Rick Duenas 21.13 pts.; 2nd John Christopherson 4.15
Men's Junior Abalone: Rick Duenas 8.873"

Congratulations to all the divers!

The Iron Chef Team Competition was entered by Eugene Porter (Tea-smoked Whole Fish), John Hayes (Fried Fish Fins) and Sasha Yavorski (Sushi Rolls) as team head chefs, with lots of help. They all had creative team names but somebody is going to have to remind me what they were because I might have had a sip of Pacific Star Winery's "It's My Fault" red wine.

The voting was razor-close and dead even on a voice vote, so we counted votes and it was a tie between Eugene Porter's team and John Hayes'. Sasha's missed the cut by one vote. After a run-off vote Eugene Porter's team won by a slim margin.

The chefs are going to have to get back to me with the dishes and recipes, because there were so many awesome courses that every mouthful was a new experience. Thank you guys for all your hard work! Telstar Charters donated a dive trip to the winning team.

We raised $5,000 for the RFA NorCal Chapter - thanks to all of you who donated, dove and supported this event!
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 08:33:02 PM by NoyoJim »

Offline NoyoJim

« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2011, 11:34:48 AM »
Jack Likens took these great pictures of the Big X:

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2011, 05:26:08 PM »
It was a great event I had a blast thanks John for letting me and Jo join your team for the cookoff.

There was a little gear drift when we were picking up the next morning I noticed I lost my sunglasses they are Wiley X wraparound style it was probably "My Fault" 

I would like them back if I can get them. I picked up two blue twin sheets somone used for a table cloth if you want them back PM me.
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline NoyoJim

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2011, 07:55:24 PM »
Spearfishing Totals: CENCAL Rules, up to 4 of one species, 1 point per fish, plus 1 point per pound. 50 people competed although they did not all turn in fish for the weigh-in, they contributed to the iron Chef comp along with top 10.

I am not sure what we are going to do with Rick Duenas. 15 yrs old, and he ranked 3rd in the overall standings, with this group of Big Dogs in NorCal. This is why we do the Randy Fry Big X Tourney, to bring new divers together with the old pros, and people wanting to get back into the sport. I've learned something about diving every year.

Dennis Haussler   32.11
Owen Mitchell   21.4
Rick Duenas (JNR)   21.13
Frank Schweninger   20.15
Jason O'Donnell   17.5
Sean Gallagher   5.1
Chris Cupples   5
John Christopherson (JNR)   4.15
« Last Edit: October 10, 2011, 09:08:28 PM by NoyoJim »

Offline NoyoJim

« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2011, 07:59:27 PM »
It was not a good visibility day and most people competed for the abalone division.

Here are the abalone standings. Good job, everyone!

Tim Nikels   10.431
Dave Clutts   10.001
Jeff Fornes   9.952
Dan Romo   9.58
Jack Likens   9.577
Mike Morgan   9.311
Steve Moser   9.31
Ralph Carrasco   9.173
Aaron Bever   9.103
Sean Gallagher   9.043
Mike Kim   9.015
Rick Deunas (M JNR)   8.873
Jo Willeford (W JNR)   8.534
Christina Schultz   8.452

Offline ccup

« Reply #51 on: October 10, 2011, 08:13:39 PM »
Thanks for everything, Jim.  Really enjoyed the day and my wife loved the venue!

Offline NoyoJim

« Reply #52 on: October 10, 2011, 08:54:50 PM »
Thanks for everything, Jim.  Really enjoyed the day and my wife loved the venue!

Thanks for coming, Chris. I'm glad your wife liked the Pacific Star Winery venue. The owner of the property, winemaker Sally Ottoson, liked our group so much, she wants us back. She has been very supportive of the RFA's efforts on the MLPA north coast region.

We might have another 12 months to dive that area before the state turns it into a no fishing zone, the proposed "Ten Mile Sate Marine Reserve". We are talking about future events there between now and then. Stay tuned, we'll need volunteers and competitors.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2011, 08:57:38 PM »
That's our own Flipper taking 6th place in his first season and kyaman taking 11th. Not bad guys

Offline Flipper

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2011, 05:31:20 PM »
Thanks for the Kudos Josh.  :notworthy: But as they say, "there's no I in team" and we had a good one that day. :thumbsup: Maybe I'll get a 10 next year.  I enjoyed diving our spot and look forward to exploring other locations soon.
The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2011, 10:35:38 AM »
Yes great event and great weekend, On Saturday Flipper and I did a dive at Casper for fun thanks for the the water time bro enjoyed diving with you even though the water conditions were not so great. Then Saturday comp day, Dove with Shannon and we chose a new spot that did not pay off besides getting caught in a rip ! what fun ! the only good thing about diving this spot was it was on my bucket list of places to dive for one reason. It was hollow ground !! It was where the late Randy fry made his last dive. In a way it was are way of paying tribute to him. But like I stated the results were 0 for the both us but a great adventure. Then sunday did a kayak dive with Dave clutts . Another great adventure ! to make it short and sweet 3 miles of paddling and diving several different spots what a day ended up pulling 2 9 3/4 which I gave to The winery owner  Sally as a thank you for the great weekend and awesome hospitality !!! oh here is a pic of Owen's monster 12.6 pound cab from comp day !!!

Also it was fun being the official ab measure !!! and thank you Jim for a great event as well as Pacific Star winery Sally for letting us hold it there.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline Mike K

« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2011, 03:16:33 PM »
I think I left my weight on the camp ground or fish/ab cleaning place in the winery.
It is  black sea soft 20 lb with 2 lb blue-lead on it.

If anyone saw it, please call me at 650-380-2880.
Mike

Offline NoyoJim

« Reply #57 on: October 21, 2011, 05:27:43 PM »
I think I left my weight on the camp ground or fish/ab cleaning place in the winery.
It is  black sea soft 20 lb with 2 lb blue-lead on it.

If anyone saw it, please call me at 650-380-2880.
Mike

Mike, Sally found your weight belt. If you don't have plans to get back there any time soon, I can pick it up for you - I'm running up there this week sometime.
Myrel, I will ask about your sunglasses too.

Offline Mike K

« Reply #58 on: October 21, 2011, 11:24:02 PM »

Mike, Sally found your weight belt. If you don't have plans to get back there any time soon, I can pick it up for you - I'm running up there this week sometime.
Myrel, I will ask about your sunglasses too.
[/quote]

Jim,
I have a plan to dive at Caspar this Sunday. I will visit the winery.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt