collapse

Author Topic: RFA-NorCal Hosts Randy Fry "Big X" at Pacific Star Winery Oct 8  (Read 15374 times)

Calif_Diver

Re: RFA-NorCal Hosts Randy Fry "Big X" at Pacific Star Winery Oct 8
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 06:41:38 AM »
LOL I guess I missed that, or didn't read carefully enough. After seeing the discussions on spearboard about motorized vessels I though they would, but I guess not. I'll be kayak diving so it doesn't affect me, and it shouldn't affect too many people diving the area as they'd have to go down to Noyo to launch anyway.

See  you have the kayak and that would be an advantage over me shore diving,but then again  after seeing those pics of your fish at the Triton  X i could probably tie my anchor to your leg and you would  still have an advantage over my diving lol,good luck  Rick at the Randy Fry  comp.i may just show up and dive or  buy some raffle tickets and join the RFA,

Offline NoyoJim

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 09:26:38 AM »
The past few Big X events, we allowed motorized vessels, hoping that some of the regulars at Ocean Cove with zodiacs would join in, but that never panned out. There is no boat launch at the Winery, but kayak launching is right there. So no motorized vessels this time. Also, lots of shore access spots in the area. We decided to open it up to diving in all of Mendocino County to allow more options.

I just updated the website - there's a new "Iron Chef" Team Cooking contest, open to teams of divers and non-divers. Top prize is a trip for up to 10 people on the Telstar.

Private access - beautiful spot - free camping- million doilar view - world-class wines - huge raffle -

online registration: save $10
www.randyfry2011.eventbrite.com

Offline NoyoJim

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 01:27:48 PM »

THE RULES!
Randy Fry Big X Tourney
October 8th, 2011 –Pacific Star Winery in Mendocino County, CA

We will be enjoying an area that is private access, so please respect the private property owners.

NO DOGS. Small children not recommended (dangerous cliffs).

No fires in the camping area – there will be a large group campfire Friday and Saturday. No need to bring firewood – it will already be there.

Free Camping: self-contained RVs or trailers okay – no hookups.

Randy's Big X Freedive Competition Rules:
Open to everyone. (Competitors under 18 must have signature on waiver by guardian.)
All divers must register with a buddy. This is a individual competition, not a team event, but you need to check in with another diver buddy who watches out for you.
Only shore-based, breath-hold diving is allowed in this tourney. No motorized vessels allowed.
Tournament check-in starts at 7:00 AM. Shotgun start.
All contestants must check-in at Pacific Star Winery. Scramble meet: dive anywhere in Mendocino County.
All competitors must check-out at the Tournament Weigh-in by 1 PM.

Measurement/Weight: 
Use caliper for measuring abalone to closest hundredth of an inch.
Use scale for weighing fish to closest tenth of pound.
Decision of the Weighmaster is Final.

Scoring – Individual Points:
One point per fish plus one point per pound. Best aggregate score wins. Up to twenty fish can be submitted by one individual, but no more than four fish of the same species. Fish must measure at least fourteen inches in length with mouth closed, or meet DF&G minimum size requirements.  The caudal fins of fish being measured shall be swept back to enhance their lengths. No sharks, skates, rays or prohibited (by DFG) species.
Abalone measured by length.

Etiquette & Safety:
The Randy Fry Big X Tourney promotes friendly competition and cooperation. Individuals competing in kayaks should yield to shore-based divers in the water & be ready to assist divers in trouble. Always yield to the least mobile participants. Dive with a buddy. Safety is first, competition second.

Divisions/Awards:
All contestants may enter Abalone, Finfish or both.
Each Division has a Male and Female Category. 1st and 2nd Place Award Plaques commemorating Randy’s Big Ten (Big X) will be given to individual divers for the following (Man's & Women's) divisions:
Speargun Division
Abalone Division
Pole Spear
Junior (under 18) Abalone
Junior (under 18)  Speargun

New Event this Year: Wild Seafood "Iron Chef" Team Competition:

Teams of divers and chefs (up to 10 persons per team) can compete in a hand-harvested wild food cook-off. All individual team members (including non-diving chefs) must pre-register for the Big X tourney to participate in the Wild Seafood Iron Chef Competition.

Each team of divers and chefs must use a variety of ingredients, wild-harvested LOCALLY within Mendocino County and these can be collected at any time on Friday or Saturday before the weigh-in. Finfish and shellfish can be harvested by competitors in the tournament as well as by non-competitors (that means you can come just for the fun of it and dive for food, not points). All ingredients must be legally harvested by hand, or by spear, breath-hold only. Available local ingredients include: abalone, lingcod, rock scallops, cabezon, black rockfish, blue rockfish, monkeyface eel, wolf eel, vermilion rockfish, sea vegetables, kelp greenling, rock greenling, china rockfish, sea cucumber, sea urchin. Use your imagination. Other ingredients like rice, seasonings, etc. can be used, but scoring points will be awarded for the way the iron chef teams use local, wild, hand-harvest seafood ingredients.

Chefs need not dive, and divers on the team need not cook but everyone on the team needs to pre-register for the Big X and each team needs a unique name, and a Head Chef. Judges will be scoring on the uniqueness of the wild seafood ingredients, the quantity made available to give everyone present a taste, and the flavor of the dishes.
Each menu must be enough to give all attendees at the Saturday Night Seafood Feast a "taste" to qualify for the contest. Winners will be determined by universal acclaim or a vote by all registrants present at the dinner.
First Place Iron Chef Team Prize: Team Trophy & Charter Dive Trip out of Noyo Harbor in Fort Bragg on the Telstar for team (up to 10 people).

Eligibility:
Paid entry fee.
Waiver signed.
California Department of Fish and Game license and abalone punch card checked.

Disqualifications:
Anyone violating California Department of Fish and Game Regulations.
Failure to check-out on time.
For More Info: Call 707-357-3422

www.JoinRFA.org

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2011, 01:45:58 PM »
I personally feel no boats/motorized vessels no yaks !!! lets make a real level playing Field cause not every one has a kayak !! shore dive only !!! my 2- cents !!!!
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline NoyoJim

« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2011, 04:14:28 PM »
Solunar Tables for October 8:excellent, excellent, fantastic, excellent!

Offline NoyoJim

« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2011, 04:17:05 PM »
I personally feel no boats/motorized vessels no yaks !!! lets make a real level playing Field cause not every one has a kayak !! shore dive only !!! my 2- cents !!!!

No fins, no wetsuits... No WHINERS! Only Winos!

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2011, 04:28:06 PM »

No fins, no wetsuits... No WHINERS! Only Winos!

Guess I am out as I do not drink wine or a liquor!!!

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2011, 11:30:17 PM »
I can take I have camped with Stacy and he is freaking grizzly bear when it comes to snoring give me a call Floyd and lets talk still need another person or to, with to it can be done but the more we have the less each of our shares will be and that means more raffle table money !!!
How about you split the cost of fuel and we can use my rv?
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline NoyoJim

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2011, 08:46:54 AM »
Randy Fry Big X bad ass Hoodies will be available!

Using last year's popular design by Amadeo Bachar, and updated for the new location-

Price: $40.00

Please reserve the size you want asap -

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2011, 09:57:32 AM »
I can take I have camped with Stacy and he is freaking grizzly bear when it comes to snoring give me a call Floyd and lets talk still need another person or to, with to it can be done but the more we have the less each of our shares will be and that means more raffle table money !!!
How about you split the cost of fuel and we can use my rv?

ok let me know feul cost ?

Offline speargearshop

• Sven Anderson Owner- speargearshop.com
    • speargearshop - high performance spearfishing hardware and lifestyle clothing
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2011, 10:54:45 AM »
Have fun up there.

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2011, 05:51:25 PM »
will do Sven we allways do !!!

Offline ccup

« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2011, 09:48:21 AM »
Looking forward to it!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 04:24:23 PM »
OK so I heard that there is only about a dozen or so signed up for this event !!! I am putting out a call to all NCUH'ers lets try and make this event !!! it is the last one of the year and and it is at an awesome venue this year where we normally would not have access to dive !!! plus let's not forget the proceeds go to the RFA Recreational Fishing Alliance which along with SCAN our are biggest allies with fighting for are rights as divers and fishermen and women !!! they helped get the ling cod season opened all year for us spero's and they assit on the abalone front as well for us consumptive divers !!! so lets make a great showing of NCUh'ers and represent at this event. Even if you can not attend you can allways just donate a few dollars every penny helps. Plus there is a killer raffle and silent auction as well.  so click on the link and sign up or donate what ever floats your boat butt lets do it not talk about it.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 05:33:59 PM by MATT MATTISON »

ljsargent

« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 05:33:25 PM »
Man I wish I could make it.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt