collapse

Author Topic: Abalone Chowder  (Read 1250 times)

Offline Dirt Snow Water

Abalone Chowder
« on: July 06, 2011, 06:06:08 PM »
Thought I'd share that I tried this recipe taken from montereyabalone.com.   It turned out AWESOME, served it over the weekend to a group of about 30...gone to the last drop.  Thanks to 1eyedwilly for giving me the idea even though he doesn't like chowder!

I pre-froze 2 abalone, trimmed the next day, then ground it in my kitchenmaid grinder using the larger grinding disk.  You have the option to cut into cubes, but grinding was a hell of a lot easier.

I doubled what the recipe calls for....and I think next time I'll add my abalone last to keep it ultra tender, this recipe made is more like the texture of clam.

Abalone Chowder

500g fresh abalone, ground or chopped very finely
1/4 cup butter mixed with 2 Tablespoons oil
1/2 cup leeks, thinly sliced
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1/2 cup green peppers, chopped
1/4 cup celery, chopped
1/2 pint fish stock
2 cups diced potatoes
Salt and pepper to taste Sauce:
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup flour
Salt to taste
Pinch of nutmeg
Pinch of cayenne pepper
250ml milk
250ml cream
1/4 cup Sherry

In a large saucepan, put the oil and butter mix. When mixture is hot, add all of the vegetables and sauté them until they are lightly brown. Add the chopped abalone and the fish stock, and then bring to the boil. Add the diced potatoes and let the chowder simmer while you prepare the following cream sauce.

In a separate saucepan, melt 1/4 cup butter. Add the flour, then blend it in thoroughly. Add salt to taste, a pinch of nutmeg, and cayenne pepper. Let simmer for 2 minutes. Mix the cream and milk together, add to the flour mixture and heat gently, mixing constantly. When smooth, add Sherry.

Add this cream sauce to the above simmering chowder. Bring to a quick boil, stirring well. Serve with chunks of French Bread.

Offline Flipper

Re: Abalone Chowder
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 07:53:59 PM »
DSW,

That sounds really good. Thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a shot in August.
The more I learn, the less I know.

Offline ccup

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 09:01:50 PM »
DSW,

That sounds really good. Thanks for the recipe. I'll give it a shot in August.

Ditto!  I can't wait!  Thanks for posting up.

:occasion14:

Offline jadespearo

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 08:28:11 PM »
I'm going to try that, thanks!

x1familyx

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 10:28:21 PM »
Every time that I try to make chowder, my gf just hates it.... She just takes the canned Chunky clam chowder and puts the abalone inside and tells me never to make it again. But I am going to try this one!!

Offline Dirt Snow Water

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 02:20:06 PM »
Just wanted to add that I made this again, and I wanted to give a few tips:

When making the cream sauce, make sure you are on low heat when combining the milk/cream.  Also, make sure your milk/cream mixture is at room temperature.  If you put it in cold it won't smooth out all that great.  Also, add the milk/cream mix slowly to your butter/flour mix (known as a roux, which will seem like a chunky mess).  Keep adding the milk/cream slowly, using a whisk at low temp and it will become silky smooth.  Then you can stir into your chowder that's simmering.  Don't be concerned that it looks lumpy at first, it will smooth out so long you use low temp and add slowly.

This time I added the ground abalone in right after the cream sauce, before it started to boil again, and it came out much more tender, it was great.

Also, when returning the whole thing to a boil, don't crank up the heat, just leave it on simmer until it comes back to a small boil, and you're ready, don't over heat to a rolling boil.

Hope this helps, this truly is a rocking recipe, a major hit everytime I have made it.  I am always willing to help, so PM me if you have questions.

-Chuck

Offline ccup

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2011, 10:14:08 PM »
Prepared one of my abs this way on Sunday. Turned out great! Thanks for the recipe.   :icon_thumleft:  Only mod was to add a bit more milk/cream for texture.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt