collapse

Author Topic: Rookie Question #3: Does anyone dive in the SF Bay to hunt fish?  (Read 1095 times)

Offline bluestar

I frequently fish inside the SF bay in the summer, at this place called Alameda Rockwall (just south of the navy base and blocks from where I live), in about 15-20' of water.  In at most 6 hours time I usually can pull up a halibut and maybe a stiper.  I'm wondering if it would be bizarre if the next time I show up with wetsuit and scuba gear and try to spear a fish.

I heard concerns about polution, visibility, etc., but I figure diving in the bay is no different from swimming in the bay, right?  And if the halibuts can see my bait, shouldn't I be able to see them?

Is there any issue with such a diving plan?

Abdvrob

Re: Rookie Question #3: Does anyone dive in the SF Bay to hunt fish?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 03:44:32 PM »
The currents pretty bad in there. I dont know about the Regs. though. I dont think I would want to dive there.

Offline thereefgeek

• Do what you like, not what your friends like.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2009, 03:45:31 PM »
Only once if you know what I mean....
-Rich VanDusen (my friends call me "Dick")
www.svrambleon.com

Offline Kaveh

• the ocean and I get along just fine
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2009, 04:19:35 PM »
to borrow someone else's term...

i would be more concerned about the landlord than the visibiility
diving the edible ocean since '99

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 11:51:21 PM »
You cannot spearfish in the bay. The regs. state that no spearfishing can be done within 200 yards of where a river or stream enters the ocean! Quite a few rivers dumping into the Pacific right there! It doesn't even qualify as salt water, it's brackish! You would be setting yourself up for a big ticket!
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Offline bluestar

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 12:07:19 PM »
You cannot spearfish in the bay. The regs. state that no spearfishing can be done within 200 yards of where a river or stream enters the ocean! Quite a few rivers dumping into the Pacific right there! It doesn't even qualify as salt water, it's brackish! You would be setting yourself up for a big ticket!

Well that settles the question, doesn't it???  Good to know the regs.  Thanks.

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 10:04:27 PM »

That's such a BS reg. The line where the rivers dump into the ocean is rather arbitrary - I would place it more in the San Pablo Bay area, not near the Golden Gate. Thanks for the info, though, as I have always been wondering myself.

Offline Flyin Brian

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 02:06:33 PM »
I'd be worried about getting attacked by a giant mutant turd!!!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt