collapse

Author Topic: Hunting around Monterey ?????? Where to Go  (Read 553 times)

Offline craighobbist02

Hunting around Monterey ?????? Where to Go
« on: June 25, 2011, 06:25:51 PM »
 :sign5: ME !!  I have a family reunion planed for July 15th in Monterey ( great grandson of an old italion fisherman) with all the closures and restrictions down there. What are the best areas and what equipment should I bring and what the hell should i shoot ???? I will be freediving of course. It's not the Monterey of my child hood when My great Grandfather and I would walk toward PG and I would just swim out and pick ABs and mussels of the rocks dig for clams and drop a couple crab pots.
 Any help would be great !!!!
Cheers
 Craig
" I don't want to join any club that would concider having me as a member"

Calif_Diver

Re: Hunting around Monterey ?????? Where to Go
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 08:20:02 PM »
Well i guess you know you cant get abolone  down there,but i hear  some people are getting halibut of Del Monte  beach latley, i would give those a try if you are  geared for it and the water is divable.

chaeki

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 09:12:32 PM »
I skunked del monte today.. posted in reports, heading to sws tomorrow morning for rock/lings

Offline .

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 11:42:39 PM »
Since you'll only be there a short while, I wouldn't recommend hunting 'buts at Del Monte. You'll spend a lot of time fruitlessly looking at sand. You'll have to pay your dues to have success at that option.

I recommend the stretch of shoreline from the west side of Lover's Point (the cove is a reserve) to Point Pinos (past Pinos is a reserve). Plenty of fish along that stretch, with depths ranging from 3-60 feet of water. Kayaking and shore diving are both good options.

For the best diving, look for pinnacles in about 20-30 feet of water and you'll find great structure for lings, rockfish, cabs, perch, etc, with some southern California species mixed in, like calicos, sheephead, and opaelye, though much less common than the normal fish.

I've had good success with a 6 ft. polespear out there, but you're probably best off using a 65cm to 80cm gun (open muzzled). I use a 75cm Hammerhead Evolution and I'm able to use it on free swimming schools as well as for hole hunting. Be sure to bring a flash light, too!

Also, basically the whole northern side of the Monterey Peninsula from the coast guard jetty west is a reserve. The area I stated above
is a reserve, but spearfishing is allowed, so you're good to go. No spearfishing from the jetty to the aquarium, no fishing at all from the aquarium to Lover's Point. No invertebrates in any of the reserves, either.

Good luck, dive safe!

chaeki

Hunting around Monterey ?????? Where to Go
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 03:55:47 AM »
+1 on what Rick said

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt