collapse

Author Topic: D.A.N. Do you have it?  (Read 971 times)

Offline divn-cali

D.A.N. Do you have it?
« on: August 24, 2009, 09:52:10 PM »
Fellow NCUH'ers,
     I was reading another post by Jason about his brother and a heart condition vs. diving situation. The best bet there would be to call DAN. The Divers Alert Network is an organization devoted to the proper treatment of divers involved in underwater accidents. They have a free number to call just for questions pertaining to diving health questions. They also offer a diving accident insurance program. It is quite cheap considering what you get for the money in case of an accident! I don't know if you all are aware of it or not, but, a helicopter ride to a recompression chamber or the hospital is not free! It's not like 911! You will be billed! Ambulances bill victims also! The helicopter ride is about $18,000!!!, at it's cheapest!!!! That's even for the short ride as if in Monterey and flying just to Pacific Grove (recomp. chamber), less than ten or so miles! There are other sources of insurance out there so check it out on line. I think PADI offers one of their own. If you are diving regularly, like once a month or more, than you should definitely have diving insurance. Another thing you might want to look into is how well covered are you by your employers health care plan, some of them don't cover Xtreme sports and guess what? Diving is considered Xtreme in the insurance agency. Trust me, I've been in this diving world over two decades, it's worth looking into!
Mike Rogers
www.diversalertnetwork.org
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

Abdvrob

Re: D.A.N. Do you have it?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 10:31:28 PM »
I've been covered by DAN for a couple of years now. I highly recommend getting covered. They cover freediving accidents too.

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 10:48:26 PM »
Your rite on Mike
DAN is cheap about $35.00 to $50.00 for the year. Ive only used it one time in 20 years in Hawaii for an ear infection, but it's good to know your covered for the major stuff to.

Offline frakkinshiny

• Administrator
    • Underwater Photography by Ericson Reduta
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 11:55:46 PM »
I've been covered by DAN for 8 yrs now. I was offered when I went through my open water certification with the YMCA. You never know when you're going to need it.

-eR
20ft vis, 50F, Kelp...a great dive!
Underwater Photography by Ericson

Calif_Diver

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 04:16:50 AM »
Ive been thinking of gettin DAN and was looking at the web site a few days ago.money is tight right now but  that will be my next purchase.

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 11:44:15 PM »
Ive been thinking of gettin DAN and was looking at the web site a few days ago.money is tight right now but  that will be my next purchase.
Very smart one indeed! :icon_study:
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt