collapse

Author Topic: BBQ gonad in shell  (Read 1266 times)

Offline hamachijohn

BBQ gonad in shell
« on: June 20, 2011, 03:40:58 PM »
I was in Russian Gulch camping last week, and tried the following, which everyone liked- even the kids.

After shucking the ab, I placed the gonad in the shell, and put it over the bbq grill (fire pit).
When it looked done, sliced it up and served with your favorite beverage (soju or vodka recommended).

It tasted like salty pate encased in sausage casing.  It was good.  I would have spread it over a water cracker if I had one.
sorry, no pics.

Offline mendoman

Re: BBQ gonad in shell
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 04:18:15 PM »
I have been curious to try that, not brave enough yet.  Was the flavor strong?

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 04:28:49 PM »
PASS !!!! sounds like somthing for Anderw Zimermen from Bizzare Foods.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline hamachijohn

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 04:33:24 PM »
I have been curious to try that, not brave enough yet.  Was the flavor strong?

the flavor was not strong, just a tad bit salty.  Next time, I'll rinse the shell more so it's not too salty.
The texture is like pate.  Like I said, all the kids @ camp tried it, and they all liked it.  They wanted seconds, but there wasn't enough to go around.

I've also tried it raw (fresh), but in a sauce with onions sliced very thinly.  I think the sauce/liquid is the sauce they use in soba noodles, but not certain.  It's supposed to be all digested kelp, so it's considered a delicacy in asia.

Offline hamachijohn

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 04:35:30 PM »
PASS !!!! sounds like somthing for Anderw Zimermen from Bizzare Foods.

Matt:
I'm going to make pate out of it next time and bring it to a NCUH meet & greet, and everyone will say how good it is, and then I'll reveal the secret recipe. :toothy9:
I just need to get my ass to one of the events.

Offline Byers

• Thankful for the freedom we have
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 04:37:20 PM »
I am sorry Jonathan, some things in life were not meant to be eaten  :icon_puke_l:
Bob Byers

Offline todd

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 04:49:48 PM »
I concur, having eaten all foods provided at neptunes buffet, I am a fan of raw and cooked gonad!! My Japanese friend is just like our otters, they pass on the white meat and go strait for the briny gonad.. If your a fan of oysters ,  limpits  or turban snails, then this is the next step to 5th level gluttony!!!  The essence of the sea in a perfect morsel of tasty tan or emerald gonad.....
Todd Stagnaro

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt