collapse

Author Topic: Mackerricher  (Read 569 times)

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
Mackerricher
« on: May 20, 2011, 07:00:15 AM »
The wife made reservations for a camp site at Mackerricher I have not been up there to dive in about 20 years.  Are there any places to launch a kayak in the park other than on the lake.

The last time I was there I had a great time diving but do not remember what the access was like. 

Any help would be appreciated
Myrel C. Willeford

Offline Spike

Re: Mackerricher
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 09:37:56 AM »
I dove Mackerricher a number of years ago and found the access to be good off the main point to the north. If I recall, you pull into a lot at the north end of the park and you'll see a set of offshore islands/rocks directly north. Launch there at the lot and paddle north to those rocks. We pulled abs around 9 1/2 inches. There is solid potential for some big abs to come from there. Have fun and give us a report when you get back.

Shannon

Offline livesinhumboldt

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2011, 10:24:12 AM »
I camped there last year, it's nice. Didn't dive there though, seemed to be baby seal city. We drove down to Mendocino and dove there.
Bryan S.

Offline Fis_Hunter

• May I have some more
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2011, 11:49:55 AM »
Thanks guys.

That was the thing that stuck in my mind about the place.  It was a very nice day with great vis about 25 feet.  I was diving in a cove and every time I would start to breath up I would feel somthing jerk on my fin I would pop my head out of the water turn around and look nothing there.  Odd this happened about 8 times.  I look up on the bluff and I see my wife (Now X) with a bunch of people doubled over laughing at me.  By this time I have a couple of abs and a fish or two.  So I swim in.  When I get out I am told that everytime I put my face in the water a seal would come up behind me and slowly inch up on the surface grab my fin and Jerk.  It would then dive under me as I turned and do the same thing over and over again.  I never saw the seal.
Myrel C. Willeford

Jeeosh

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2011, 02:21:27 PM »
I was up there 3 weeks ago. Didn't dive, but walked the trails with my dog.

There's a protected seal rookery with ropes and signs and such. Here's a pic:

These 2 pics are from a bench on the bluff at the northernmost parking lot, first looking left, then looking right:

-Josh

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt