collapse

Author Topic: Wildlife and Scuba, video 5-11-11  (Read 2846 times)

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/NCUWHdiverdave
Wildlife and Scuba, video 5-11-11
« on: May 14, 2011, 05:03:27 PM »
Me and Mike did some spearfishing. I added the whales from a dive I did the week before. I saw them on the drive up north 5-2-11 north of Bodega Bay.

dlcesar

Re: Wildlife and Scuba, video 5-11-11
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 09:54:44 PM »
Wow what a neat vid, thanks for sharing. Looks like a couple of awesome days on the coast. One of the coolest videos I have seen of an ab feeding in the wild (the only vid i have seen of an ab feeding). Almost makes me feel bad about bringing some home with me.... almost. If only they did not taste so darn good. Awesome vid keep em coming!!!! :icon_thumleft:

Calif_Diver

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 08:41:36 AM »
I  have never saw an ab eating any kelp,that was some cool footage Dave, hopefuly ill get a saturday off work soon and get my gills wet for the first time in  months.

chaeki

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 08:59:53 AM »
Thats a great video for wikipedia!! great job

Offline oldmanfishing

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 09:48:09 AM »
WOW...that was way cool, ab eating was outstanding but i dont think that was a whale...it was Matt in camo gettin ready for aug.....

Offline todd

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 10:42:21 AM »
Dave, more great vid, do you want to help edit video for out forum DVD? your vids are too good not to include, lets get together during the off month if you have time....
Todd Stagnaro

Offline rafterman

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 11:30:47 AM »
Definitely prized footage of an Abalone feeding on it favorite food filmed in its environment. It almost looks like its Dancing as we do when we find food. Its tentacle waving in the current is the most fascinating part to me. This is the closest footage I have seen of an Abs face. Kelp savage. 
 Great job Dave. 

Do what You want to do…

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 11:40:37 AM »
Thanks all

I thought the club would enjoy the abalone grabbing the kelp. Did you notice the little fish?
I did not see it while filming but noticed it later during the editing. I could swear it it was inside of the shell?

Does anybody know what type of abalone has yellow tentacles?

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 11:59:47 AM »
Dave, you should change your handle to " the wet Marty Souffer".

MN

Offline NorCal DiverDave

• Fish on
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 12:13:01 PM »
Dave, you should change your handle to " the wet Marty Souffer".

MN

Marty Stouffer is one of my inspirational wildlife producers from way back along with Shok Goostoe  :laughing7:

You had me wondering there so I had to google it, and it all came back to me. Wild America was a great wildlife show. One of my favorites is were a pack of wolves chased down a large buck on the side of a mountain. Good stuff.
Thanks Mike

Calif_Diver

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 03:25:29 PM »
Shok Goostoe  ....had to read that twice and say WTF is that lol. I always made sure to watch  him when he had a special on tv,and of course Marlin Perkins.

Offline Mike n

• MAN Mid-Handles
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 08:52:44 PM »
Wild America, what a great show.

I need to go out with you scuba guys one of theses days, that looks like fun.

MN

Kirby

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 07:02:14 PM »
Very nice video Dave.  The camera work was good and stable.

Thanks all

I thought the club would enjoy the abalone grabbing the kelp. Did you notice the little fish?
I did not see it while filming but noticed it later during the editing. I could swear it it was inside of the shell?

Does anybody know what type of abalone has yellow tentacles?

That abalone was a pinto (aka northern or Alaskan abalone).  Haliotis kamtschatkana

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt