collapse

Author Topic: How to keep your mask from fogging up  (Read 6352 times)

Offline Russ R.

• freedivin'
Re: How to keep your mask from fogging up
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2011, 10:32:47 PM »
Soo jealous....Dude I wanted to get that mask....................
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 06:47:50 PM by Russ R. »

Offline ccup

« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2011, 10:41:23 PM »
The lighter method works too. All the toothpaste is doing is scrubbing off the reside left from the manufacturing process. the lighter does the same thing only quicker.

Scott

+1. Was having serious fogging issues before I took a lighter to my masks and then scrubbed them out with toothpaste. A little bit of sea gold mask defog before a dive and haven't had issues since.  Before I used the lighter, using only the defog or toothpaste didn't mitigate fogging at all.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 07:42:31 AM »
Soo jealous....Dude I wanted to get that mask but my chick said NO......... For many reasons :la: :la:...I think she was more concerened about the outta water quality of the video....... :laughing7: :laughing7:

Didn't need that visual Russ but thanks!  TMI king!!!

Offline Jacks Diving

• www.jacksdiving.com
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2013, 10:07:05 PM »
CHEAP Rain X recipe!

USE Olive oil or vegetable oil and black and white newspaper.
Take a wad of newspaper and a drop a piece in your mask of clean oil
then rub it vigorously till there is a slight haze, then wipe clean with a microfiber cloth or soft tissue.
I learned this from making old hot rod glass shine like new and repel moisture like crazy.
The trick is the cleanser ink in the newspaper that keeps it from running and the oil left over in the porous surface of the glasss that keeps the fog out!
if you kill it, you eat it.... don't be a dick

Offline ademite

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2013, 02:09:25 PM »
sh*t ive used greenish blue gel toothpaste didnt know it had to be white...on another note...my heater doesnt work in my car and im thinking of rubbing all the white toothpaste i can on my windshield so it dont fog up at night lol

Offline Fej

« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2013, 09:36:59 PM »
I've always used white toothpaste on a new mask and spit while using and it always worked excellently until my new mask. I bought an Oceanic Shadow and later found out that they have a reputation for constantly fogging even after the usual antifog methods.

I used toothpaste twice, lots of spit to no avail. I found a thread on one of the scuba forums where some Oceanic reps had been weighing on the issue, apparently they were happy to replace bad masks and also recommended running the mask through the dishwasher.

One time in the dishwasher and the fogging problem was gone and spit has worked great ever since.
Jeff

Offline jason atlantis odonnell

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 09:22:04 AM »
toothpaste and the lighter and seaweed all work, think for a second... the mask is fogging because your face is 98.6 and your mask is 54. stop taking your face out of the water and the fog will not start. i always splash my face with cold ocean water before putting it on. your face is hot and mask is cold. then put your face in water and dont take it out. your mask will always fog if you are swimming with your face out of the water!!! also if your mask is leaking it is pry the expression on your face!! go to a mirror and make a calm face, no lines or wrinkles huh? no get frustrated, look at all the wrinkles and lines. those are normally what is leaking!!! sounds crazy??? find a mirror and see for yourself!!!

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2013, 09:18:19 AM »
I use Bon Ami cleanser the morning of the dive - works pretty well but some new masks have silicone off gassing so heavy that sometimes no amount of prep seems to work.

@Jack's Diving --  How often do you treat the mask?  Combined with Feg's dishwasher trick this might become a standard procedure for new masks!
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 06:22:01 PM »
Try splashing the cold ocean water on your face, it might help to cool your face down, then if all else fails try some defogger.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline dogpaddle

• Work...Whats that?
    • https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_hI3a6Voyhx839MAaNlxvA
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 01:57:32 PM »
When you got to climb up and down a cliff a couple times because you keep leaving stuff in the car the spit method doesn't work at all with all the steam coming off the face.
SPONSERED BY THE BATMAN AND AQUAMAN FOUNDATION

Offline John

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2015, 07:12:05 AM »
What the hell caused this. Never had a problem with fog. Last dive nothing was keeping it off. I could fill the thing with spit and by the time I reached the bottom I might as well have had a blindfold on. So bad I had to stop diving early. Ill try the toothpaste and lighter but wtf would cause this out of nowhere like that.

This happened to me April 1st and it was leaking too, so every time I cleared my ears a little splash of saltwater would go right in both eyes.  Then the last couple dives it is totally back to normal. In the next dive I brought my old mask just in case but didn't need it. I wonder if it was because it had been a while since the last dive and maybe I stored the mask out of shape?

I have been wanting to try the seaweed trick but spitting in the mask is such a routine part of getting dressed I always forget.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 07:14:45 AM by John »
Every generation imagines itself to be more intelligent than the one that went before it, and wiser than the one that comes after it. -Orwell

Offline IceColdChuck

• Spearfishing and Travel Blog
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2015, 08:17:48 AM »
No one ever tells you what the absolute best de-fogger is for your mask....urine.

Urea and it's ammonia like compounds leave glass clear and clean like nothing else, try it.
-Charlie
www.CharlesLaKamp.com and...

www.redtrianglespearfishing.com

"Survival is the ability to swim in strange water"
-Bene Gesserit Proverb

Offline Duckfoot

• Jack Shaw Sculpture
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2015, 10:23:57 AM »
What the hell caused this. Never had a problem with fog. Last dive nothing was keeping it off.

Silicone skirts can keep off-gassing for awhile and build up on the glass - so I've been told. Are you storing it differently? I use Bon Ami cleanser before a dive. 100% success rate.
If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.  –Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

rluiz

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2015, 06:37:11 PM »
No one ever tells you what the absolute best de-fogger is for your mask....urine.

Urea and it's ammonia like compounds leave glass clear and clean like nothing else, try it.

https://imgflip.com/i/m8gcc

i can only see this happening if someone tries this

http://memegenerator.net/instance/24468350

« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 06:40:19 PM by rluiz »

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt