collapse

Author Topic: Abalone Gifting  (Read 6902 times)

Offline Byers

• Thankful for the freedom we have
Abalone Gifting
« on: April 11, 2011, 11:00:17 AM »
At O.C this weekend we were talking about gifting Abalone, we used to have to give a gift paper with Name address and phone # ect on it with the Abs you were gifting, Well this was all i could find on the F&G web site

Q. Can I give abalone to a traveling companion who does not have an abalone card and then take more abalone?

A. You can take up to three abalone in a single day but cannot possess more than three abalone at a time. If you eat or give away (also called "gifting") any of your three abalone, you can take more abalone the following day as long as the daily bag limit and possession limit of three abalone per person and the annual limit of 24 abalone per year are not exceeded. People who receive abalone as gifts are not required to have abalone report cards but the abalone must remain in the shell and tagged until being prepared for immediate consumption.

Bob Byers

chaeki

Re: Abalone Gifting
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 11:06:29 AM »
Good question with the new process established now, I would think the note card is not necessary, because the tags now come with your name on each tag, if you haven't noticed it.

Offline maodiver

• Great Whites are Pussies
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 11:23:20 AM »
This was on the DFG Q&A site in 2008.  I saved it for later use

Question:
I am not completely clear on the amount of abalone we are allowed to give to a family member in a day. I understand the limit is three abalone per day and three in possession. I plan to take my 10-year-old son and my 7-year-old daughter with me. If we can bring back nine abalone over a three-day period, and all of us are in the truck at the same time with our abalone, would we be considered legal? It is important that the answer you give me be consistent with the wardens on the North Coast as they are the ones who will be issuing the ticket, which I choose to avoid. Not only that, my kids will be with me so I don’t want to be arrested. (Richard M., Sacramento)

Answer:
Rest assured, Richard, the laws on abalone are pretty clear. Each person with a valid fishing license and a valid abalone report card is allowed to personally take three abalone per day, have no more than three abalone in possession, and to take no more than 24 per year. You are authorized to gift your abalone to another person, but you may never take more than three abalone in one day. This means that over a three-day period, you may take three abalone per day each day as long as you gift your abalone to another person before going back in the water for more the next day. You must tag and record all of your abalone you take each day on your abalone report card. The abalone must then remain in their shells with the tags still attached until they are ready for immediate consumption.
By abiding by these regulations, you will be legal. If you're stopped along the way, the game warden will see from your report card that you have taken three abalone per day over a three-day period (for a total of nine). And each of your children's abalone that you have gifted them will have your tags attached to the shells that will then correspond back to your abalone card.

Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Ehhh, they're a little Chewy.

Offline maodiver

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 11:26:31 AM »
That said...

Be careful giving them to your kids.  if you are coming home with 6+ abs, you may get a knock on your door a few days later, with a Warden looking to check your freezer, looking for prepped abs, but not in process for "immediate consumption", and therefore you would be in violation, as would anyone you gifted them to.
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

Offline Byers

• Thankful for the freedom we have
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 11:38:14 AM »
I guess what the question we were getting at was do we still need to fill out paper work as to who we were gifting to, as Chuck said all the info is now on our cards ???
Bob Byers

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 12:04:21 PM »
I guess what the question we were getting at was do we still need to fill out paper work as to who we were gifting to, as Chuck said all the info is now on our cards ???

I asked the warden yesterday and he said no, you do not need a receipt for the gifting they just need to be tagged.

Red Abalone Diving

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 02:42:01 PM »

I asked the warden yesterday and he said no, you do not need a receipt for the gifting they just need to be tagged.
And the Warden is correct. And in fact, an individual ab diver was never required when gifting abalone to create a paper trail such as a receipt. The receipt concept was floating around the ab diving community as a precautionary concept to clarify the intent of the gift and to whom. 

Offline Malibu_Two

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2011, 10:48:44 AM »
So there isn't really an official procedure for gifting then? Sounds like you just need to bring a few friends who will not be taking any abs, correct?
Bring one non-diving friend for each day of diving and you can take your limit each day...

Offline maodiver

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2011, 10:50:03 AM »
So there isn't really an official procedure for gifting then? Sounds like you just need to bring a few friends who will not be taking any abs, correct?
Bring one non-diving friend for each day of diving and you can take your limit each day...

That's it.  Another reason to bring the wife and kids Ab Diving...just make sure there's none in the freezer.
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

chaeki

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2011, 01:29:44 PM »
exactly... I gift my abs to my wife if we are camping a 2 day trip...  just so I can stop by grandma's house on the way home to give her some.  Again, only taking home 3!   

Offline maodiver

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011, 01:32:16 PM »
exactly... I gift my abs to my wife if we are camping a 2 day trip...  just so I can stop by grandma's house on the way home to give her some.  Again, only taking home 3!

You can take home 6 or 9 or whatever you have days to dive and tags to tag....just freeze them whole, in the shell, until being prepared for immediate consumption.     :evil6:
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

chaeki

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 01:34:20 PM »

You can take home 6 or 9 or whatever you have days to dive and tags to tag....just freeze them whole, in the shell, until being prepared for immediate consumption.     :evil6:

are you serious?  I thought only 3 in possession, at any time.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011, 01:38:56 PM »

I'm assuming that you live with your wife.  That would allow you to have 6 abs in the house/car, as long as they're properly tagged and recorded. 

Offline maodiver

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011, 01:41:28 PM »

I'm assuming that you live with your wife.  That would allow you to have 6 abs in the house/car, as long as they're properly tagged and recorded.

and each kid adds 3 more.  That's why my 9 year old's nickname is "extra limit"  J/k
Dad, what's for dinner?

Wookie steaks

Are they good?

chaeki

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011, 01:43:40 PM »
AHAHHAHAHHAHHAAHHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHA extra limit....   have I ever seen extra limit out in the clam beds?  because I sure do see alot of kids out there clamming.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt