collapse

Author Topic: The opener.  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Kali_Diver

The opener.
« on: March 29, 2011, 08:22:34 AM »
Does not look to good. STAY SAFE out there if you do choose to brave the elements and the crowds.

Offline Julian

Re: The opener.
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 10:32:28 AM »
Im watching Sunday really close. 

On monday it was showing a 2-4 foot spell around noon...yesterday it turned back to crap.  Today it's looking doable again. 

Hard to say.  Anyone up for it Sunday let me know.  Im in Fairfield and I can throw down on gas.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 10:39:55 AM by Julian »

Offline zzanolini

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2011, 12:17:36 PM »

On monday it was showing a 2-4 foot spell around noon....

what website do you use

Offline Julian

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2011, 01:22:18 PM »

redman27370

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2011, 05:29:26 PM »
I live in Fort Bragg and walk down to the water every day.  I don't think conditions will be even close to comfortable for the opening weekend.  Most protected areas I dive on those rougher days are very muddy from rain run-off.  Swell reports indicate a minimum of 8 foot waves through the weekend according to http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/PZ/455.html.  The amount of stained water coming out of major rivers and streams is the most I have seen in a few years.  Feel free to ask me about conditions whenever you would like.

Offline Joshua R.

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2011, 06:06:35 PM »
I live in Fort Bragg and walk down to the water every day.  I don't think conditions will be even close to comfortable for the opening weekend.  Most protected areas I dive on those rougher days are very muddy from rain run-off.  Swell reports indicate a minimum of 8 foot waves through the weekend according to http://www.wunderground.com/MAR/PZ/455.html.  The amount of stained water coming out of major rivers and streams is the most I have seen in a few years.  Feel free to ask me about conditions whenever you would like.

can I get a report at 3am Saturday?

Offline Byers

• Thankful for the freedom we have
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2011, 03:17:32 PM »
Just looked at AGATE Cove web cam, it already looks like a washing machine out there, good time to stay home 
Bob Byers

redman27370

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 12:08:36 PM »
Checked out a couple dive spots this morning in Fort Bragg.  Visibility is bad and swells are dangerous today.  I don't think it will be calm enough for my taste for some time.  Most of the river mud has dispersed but the surf is churning the water.  We had a lot of rough surf this winter combined with the tsunami has wiped out a LOT of the kelp.  I look forward to diving a few areas that were heavily matted the last couple summers.

Polycarp

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2011, 09:47:06 AM »
Hi Redman,
    Have you ever dove near Todd's Point?  Thinking about tossing a rope over the cliff on the side where the boats go in and out.  If the conditions are good, seems like a good spot.  I haven't seen too many divers in that area.  I just won't go out too far where the boats come in and out.  Polycarp.

redman27370

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2011, 08:29:56 AM »
Today water is starting to look good.  Tide is low in the mornings and visibility is starting to clear up.  Like a swimming pool in the coves.  I like diving at Todd's Point!  I know where the trail is to get down to the water, no rope required.  There are some great areas to hunt lings and the deeper you go the bigger the abs get.  I even find scallops there once in a while.

Polycarp

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 09:21:02 AM »
Redman,
    Glad to hear you like Todd's Point.  If the weather is decent, I might make a trip up to Fort Bragg and dive either sat. or sunday morning.  From Todd's Point, do you like diving inside the cove area where the boats travel?  Or do you prefer straight out in the open sea?  Hopefully thursday rain won't be too bad.  Polycarp 

redman27370

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 10:05:48 PM »
I don't think it will be possible.  Forecast suggest rough waters, Saturday morning might be calm but the water will be murky.  In the murky water you can feel about for a limit of abs but no hunting.  The kelp beds have been very hard hit this year.  Lots of water that is normally matted with kelp is clear.  At Todd's Point swells should be under 6' for a safe and enjoyable dive, it is exposed.

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt