collapse

Author Topic: New board added for the photog's and underwater video.  (Read 5836 times)

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Dreaming of the day abalone is re-opened
  • Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
    • http://norcalunderwaterhunters.com/forum/MGalleryItem.php?id=1815
New board added for the photog's and underwater video.
« on: August 17, 2009, 09:27:49 PM »
Just to let you all know we have added a New board for the photog's and underwater video enthusiast in the club.
CHECK OUT MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL AT:
https://www.youtube.com/user/mattmattison/videos

THANK YOU TO MY AWESOME SPONSORS

Offline divn-cali

Re: New board added for the photog's and underwater video.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 08:44:29 PM »
Fellow NCUH'ers,
     For those whom may not have been aware of it, I am very much into the photography thing! I asked Matt to have this forum created for those of us who partake in this part of the sport. During the off season from Dec. 1st - March 31st, it then becomes about photoging for me. There is always the rock fish but I personally take this time of year to polish up on the old portfolio if you will. I've been shooting with a Nikonos V and all the trimmings for almost 20 years now, I aint saying I'm an expert or nothing, I'm just putting it out there for those who might be into this aspect of diving. It is very rewarding and even more challenging then hunting and gathering, trust me on that. I became good at spearfishing because of learning how to stalk a fish for it's photo! I was a photog before I got into hunting and ab diving. So, when the season closes at the end of November, I'll be posting for dive buddies or gals to hit up some of my favorite spots, especially Pt. Lobos! Sadly to say, I'm not versed in digital photography, I've invested a TON of money into my film system over the years and I'm comfortable and good with it, so why fix what isn't broken. Until both my housings and strobes flood and are ruined, I will probably stick to the Nikonos V system for quite some time! Any way, I'm hoping that you digital guru's out there can add to the club in this category. I look forward to sharing in this wonderful aspect soon!
Mike Rogers
Need a partner mid week? PM me!!!!

46inchwoody

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 08:55:46 PM »
I'll be shure to post some.
I got the sealife dc800 last year, great camera if you want to take u.w. photo and video on a budget like me.

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 08:59:43 PM »
Right on Jonathan!

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 09:16:07 PM »
Mike ask and you shall receive, I created it the last night after you left.

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 09:17:56 PM »
Mike ask and you shall receive, I created it the last night after you left.
Yep, you are the best man! You are as solid as they come brutha!

Offline MATT MATTISON

• Administrator
  • Diving My HAPPY PLACE
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 09:24:22 PM »
You to mike as well as the rest of the guys and gals that I know in this club.

Offline Stacy Stephenson

• surrender the booty
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 09:31:38 PM »
Hey Mike, I'm new here to the club but I would gladly join you for some photog dives, when I get my wife cert. she would love to join in also. Can you suggest a good inexspensive digital cam?
Stacy Stephenson
Rock Hard Dive free NCUWH's

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 09:38:29 PM »
Like I mentioned, I'm not up to date on digital photography, when the time comes, you bet your butt I will learn fast! But for now, I'm still shooting with the film system Nokonos V. However, Diverchix or Tessa was using a neat little set up on our dive in Albion. PM her and see what she thinks! Anyone else that can add to this?

Abdvrob

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 09:44:09 PM »
I've seen alot of divers using the Canon G9 or oven the G10 with a housing. I just saw the G9 at Fry's for ~ $430. I've heard alot of good reviews on that camera. My $.02.

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 09:50:08 PM »
I forgot to mention, there really isn't any such thing as inexpensive underwater photo gear! You get what you pay for. My best advice is that, if you know that you love diving and you love photography, it would probably better serve you to make a little bit bigger investment and get what you will want and save the money from up-grading!

Offline bluestar

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 02:30:04 AM »
Great to have this forum category!  I love photography and videography, mainly for personal documentary purpose.  I never did it underwater but am now getting into it. 

To me photography and videography are as important as hunting the trophies when it comes to bragging about them -- Fish will be gone in a few weeks, but photographs last a lifetime! (forever if digital  :laughing7:)

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 08:56:52 PM »
Great to have this forum category!  I love photography and videography, mainly for personal documentary purpose.  I never did it underwater but am now getting into it. 

To me photography and videography are as important as hunting the trophies when it comes to bragging about them -- Fish will be gone in a few weeks, but photographs last a lifetime! (forever if digital  :laughing7:)
I agree 110%. I will be taking the lead on one of our club dives in the winter, probably as early as December. I have to check with Pt. Lobos and try to reserve some spots, we may have to take what we can get, but I really would love to see all the photog's and video enthusiasts get a chance at some of the best opportunity that California has to offer! So look for it in the future!
Mike Rogers 

Offline frakkinshiny

• Administrator
    • Underwater Photography by Ericson Reduta
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2009, 11:35:08 AM »
Ahh... a topic that I'm well versed in. I'm an avid underwater photographer and shoot digitally as well as film. I'm currently using a Canon G10 with a Canon Housing, Ultralight tray and arms and an Inon D2000 strobe. If you have any questions on cameras to buy, housings, strobes (flash), memory cards, etc. Please do not hesitate to ask. There are no dumb questions. I have a portfolio online that you guys can check out and even purchase some pics. (http://photos.ericsonreduta.com) I've seen divn-cali's work and his are top notch!

Best fishes,

Ericson
20ft vis, 50F, Kelp...a great dive!
Underwater Photography by Ericson

Offline divn-cali

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 12:04:40 AM »
Ericson, you are too modest, you have definitely come up to and in some ways passed my expertise behind the lens! But we do it for the love of capturing the beauty and sharing with one another, helping each other to grow in such a unique art form! One thing that I treasure about the photog brotherhood is that it is never about competition, just about hearing those ooooo's and ahhhh's! I'm gettin pretty ancy for the winter time!

noob spearo podcast

THE SPEAR Spearfishing Podcast

Support the NCUWH Website

Help support the NorCal Underwater Hunters Website by donating today.

Your decision to contribute is strictly voluntary. If you see value in this website: meeting new dive buddies, posting dive reports, a place to post your pictures, sharing great fish stories, plan out of town hunting trips, etc..., then please contribute. All proceeds go towards supporting the costs to host and maintain this awesome website.

If you prefer to send a check or money order, please PM me, MATT MATTISON, for the address.

Thanks!
Matt